Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2008, 03:57 PM

60 posts, read 285,074 times

Advertisements

Thank you all for your wonderful thoughts and prayers. My sweet little Annie is at peace today. It was a long, long night. I stay up all last night with her and this morning I took her to the cardio vet to give one more try. They put her in an oxygen tent and medicated her but after a few hours we knew that she would never be the same again.
Annie was a chihuahua rescue; I didn't how old she was (maybe 10) but I had her for five wonderful years. She was always happy no matter how your day went, she would always be happy for you.
This so very hard, my heart is breaking but at least I know she is sleeping with the angels because she was one too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2008, 07:44 PM

180 posts, read 957,349 times
I got this forward once about a dog about to be euthanized because of illness and age. The woman posed the question, "Why don't they live as long as we do?"
Her little son said, "Because people have to grow up to learn to be loving and helpful and dogs are already born that way."

It was just an email forward but I think the little boy's part of it was right on.

Your little one did her job on this earth. My heart breaks for you and my prayers go for you too.

TW

Old 01-14-2008, 02:38 PM

5,120 posts, read 16,598,343 times
Is this the email you were referring to?

Why Dogs Don't Live As Long As People

Being a veterinarian, I had been called to examine a ten-year-old Irish wolfhound named Belker. The dog's owner, his wife, and their little boy were all very attached to Belker and they were hoping for a miracle. I examined Belker and found he was dying of cancer. I told the family there were no miracles left for Belker, and offered to perform the euthanasia procedure for the old dog in their home. As we made arrangements, the owners told me they thought it would be good for the four-year-old boy to observe the procedure. They felt he could learn something from the experience.

The next day, I felt the familiar catch in my throat as Belker's family surrounded him. The little boy seemed so calm, petting the old dog for the last time, that I wondered if he understood what was going on. Within a few minutes, Belker slipped peacefully away. The little boy seemed to accept Belker's transition without any difficulty or confusion. We sat together for a while after Belker's death, wondering aloud about the sad fact that animal lives are shorter than human lives.

The little boy, who had been listening quietly, piped up, I know why. Startled, we all turned to him. What came out of his mouth next stunned me I'd never heard a more comforting explanation.

He said, 'Everybody is born so that they can learn how to live a good life - like loving everybody and being nice, right?' The four-year-old continued, "Well, animals already know how to do that, so they don't have to stay as long."

Old 01-14-2008, 04:33 PM

20 posts, read 32,245 times
Jannie I know how brave you are. And you are right, your baby is at peace. Big hug to you at the heartbreaking time!

Last edited by Hellofromme!; 01-14-2008 at 04:33 PM.. Reason: punctuation

Old 01-15-2008, 05:50 AM

Default What is wrong with people!?

Everyone on this board has been most kind with their thoughts and prayers and I don't even know you. But I had friends that I know for a long time and are dog lovers say the most insensitive comments. Like,"oh go get another one". I just lossed a dog she was like a member of the family, I didn't throw away an shoe and should go get another one, I need alot of time to heal.
Someone else called me the next morning after Annie died and instead of asking me "how I'm doing?", she said "are you having a happy morning?" This really, really hurt.
I now trully understand why I would rather have four legged friends than the two legged ones.

Old 01-16-2008, 06:54 AM

4,643 posts, read 13,947,733 times
Default Living Love...

Jannie, I'm so sorry for your loss... you were Annie's best friend right to the end. Sometimes as guardians, we need to make the hardest decisions of all.

When I lost my Jazzmin almost 10 years ago, to bloat (gastric torsion) the grief that I felt was just immense. And I found that family and friends who knew how much I loved that dog really didn't get it, would say things like "well you still have the other one" (sigh) But somebody I knew online shared a very healing message with me, and it's there, still, on Jazzmin's Memorial page. Be sure you have tissues if you visit the page, you will need them. I printed it out and read it often (only when I was alone). And yes, the 4th day will come, not today, or next week, or even next month... But it will, when you least expect it--and you'll feel a most profound sense of peace and wonder...

Now and Forever, These Pages are Dedicated to.....

Old 01-16-2008, 07:48 AM

13,163 posts, read 1,695,729 times
Valerie, I'm running out of tissues for everyone losing their beloved pets and buddies and companions, at at the same time remembering our own losses over the years. Been there, done that way too many times. I feel for all of us, and especially for those just going through it because it is so fresh, and a fresh wound hurts a lot until it heals.

They leave a hole in our hearts when they go, and it will always be there, but it's ready-made room for some other furkid who will come along, needing the warmth and love we have to give.

Old 01-16-2008, 08:15 AM

1,510 posts, read 5,067,466 times
Jannie, my condolences to you. Prayers go out to you and I hope you are able to heal in time. **hugs**

Old 01-16-2008, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valerie C View Post
Jannie, I'm so sorry for your loss... you were Annie's best friend right to the end. Sometimes as guardians, we need to make the hardest decisions of all.

When I lost my Jazzmin almost 10 years ago, to bloat (gastric torsion) the grief that I felt was just immense. And I found that family and friends who knew how much I loved that dog really didn't get it, would say things like "well you still have the other one" (sigh) But somebody I knew online shared a very healing message with me, and it's there, still, on Jazzmin's Memorial page. Be sure you have tissues if you visit the page, you will need them. I printed it out and read it often (only when I was alone). And yes, the 4th day will come, not today, or next week, or even next month... But it will, when you least expect it--and you'll feel a most profound sense of peace and wonder...

Now and Forever, These Pages are Dedicated to.....
Thank you for your kindness. Today I was able to put away all Annie's things. You don't realize that when your going through her stuff it's just like when a person is no longer around, you have to put away their things. I put all her toys, bowls, leashes, sweaters and her blankets, pillows in a box. Her food I'll donate to a local shelter and I threw out all her medications. Just before this Christmas I had a feeling that this would be our last one together, so we went to Petsmart and we had our picture taken with Santa. She was so good sitting on santa's knee with me next to her. I will keep this picture out for awhile. I also wrote in a journal every little things Annie used to do while it's fresh in my mind. How we named every toy and all the fun nicknames I called her. I find that writing down on paper not on a computer helps much more and I will put the journal and her things along with Annie's ashes in a box.

Old 01-16-2008, 09:56 AM

4,643 posts, read 13,947,733 times
This is exactly how I explain it to the kids (and myself...) when they ask "BUT WHY???"

Because the best way to honor and remember our friends is (when we are ready) to give another furry friend the best possible home, where they will be loved and cherished for all of the days and years that they have.

The young puppy who we brought home a year after Jazzmin left us is now almost 9 years old. I'm having many "2nd Days", and just don't want to think about that day that's coming all too soon, whether it's next week or in 5 years... So, like him, I am happy for TODAY and make all of his TODAY's as good as they possibly can be!

Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post
They leave a hole in our hearts when they go, and it will always be there, but it's ready-made room for some other furkid who will come along, needing the warmth and love we have to give.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs