Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2015, 01:02 PM

24,204 posts, read 19,191,156 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaelti12 View Post
Oh! But the lady with GSD is fine. I ran into her this morning. She's pretty close with the office staff(she has a corgi puppy who likes to visit the office) and they decided that he seems like more of a "collie mix" (he's a black GSD with alot of grey) because he's 15 years old so they agreed on "collie mix". They moved here to live with the daughter, many months ago, because they lost their home in a fire.
I don't know if I agree on picking and choosing, but he seems to be the only one who is that old, the others(from what I have heard) are younger, pure bred, dogs.
I think you did the right thing, although I am somewhat amazed the mgmt company actually took action! But I was also glad to see this update - I agree that the idea of picking and choosing doesn't seem quite right, but it seems clear that in this particular case, an exception was warranted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2015, 01:13 PM

13,926 posts, read 39,275,326 times
It depends on what the person Needs! Those Ankle bitters are Trained for lots of things! They could be seizure alert dogs Hearing dogs for the deaf My ankle biters do lots of things I can no longer do just in Daily activities Things I dare not attempt do to my Physical Health problems. I seen Pits in my area used as Brace dogs so People with walking problems can get out & walk. Saying get a walker doesn't help when your hands cant grip or you no strength to lift the walkers & when wheeled walkers get away from you. That's what my Labs did for me. I switched to smaller dogs when my back went. Gave the Lab to a kid that had seizures. When my back went the VA issued me a Mobility scooter. But yes to get back to your question Pits can do anything any other dog can do. & Since they are ingrained with Loving People they are more Alert. My Trainer had a Pit as her Seizure alert dog of 10 dogs under her roof He was the only one that let her know when she was having a seizure! She took him Every where He give her a 5-10 min warning so she could get into a Safe Place esp when driving she had time to pull over & park! After the seizure she had to hold onto him for support to walk. My gf has/had dogs in a new home retired at 10 yrs old a MinPin that alerted her when her sugar was too high or too low. Katie tells me when I having Dizzy spell She also comes gets me when my son has PDST. So yes Ankle Bitters can do a LOT of things big dogs can do! DONT Judge a dog by its size its abilities may shock you!

Old 03-13-2015, 01:15 PM

7,329 posts, read 16,417,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KittyAtlanta View Post
Don't get me wrong, I love animals and spend quite a bit of $$$ on mine and through shelters, but I have never seen a Pit Bull service dog. Shepherds, yes, very infrequently. Mostly they are Labs or Lab mixes. Nor have I ever seen a Jack Russell service dog or any of the other ankle-biting breeds trained to be service animals.
Just so you know, there are many legitimate pit bull service dogs. Most just go quietly about their business, but here is one that's well known.

Bully for her! Elle the pit bull is 2013 American Hero Dog - Pets & Animals - TODAY.com

Old 03-13-2015, 01:48 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,473,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
Another reason why there needs to be regulations on service dogs. I was under the impression that if a "service dog" showed aggression that invalidated the exemptions. That was the reason some school system in NC was able to ban the family trained "service dog" of a kid with a nutcase mother.
The DOJ ruliing that was pasted by Katie does allow service dogs to be banned when they are aggressive. The ruling only says that state and local laws that ban certain breeds or ban dogs based on size (and no other criteria) cannot blanketly include Service Dogs within those blanket bans.

It allows criteria such as aggressiveness to cause them to be excluded. And it doesn't address Insurance Company exclusions..which means insurance companies can still exclude breeds because Insurance companies aren't local/state government. The Fed DOJ ruling only addresses local/state government exclusions such as if one town says "No Dobermans" or "No dogs over 60 lbs".

Old 03-13-2015, 11:26 PM

13,131 posts, read 20,968,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
Again NMS You Are Wrong! SERVICE DOG DISCRIMINATION BY BREED, LANDMARK RULING BY U.S. DOJ

I went thru this with a MinPin & neighbors have had Pit, GSD & Rotties as long as they are Service Dogs!
The American with Disabilities Act (ADA) DOES NOT apply to traditional rental housing!!!! Traditional rental housing is covered by the Fair Housing Amendment Act (FHA Act).

Under the FHA Act, "Assistance Animals" is not an absolute right, it is a Reasonable Accommodation. Landlords are required to provide a Reasonable Accommodation for these Assistance Animals but they also have the legal right to refuse if it creates a financial hardship, presents a health & safety issue, or otherwise unjustly interferes with other tenants right to peaceful enjoyment of their rental.

Under FHA Act, Assistance Animals include the more traditionally defined Service Animals under ADA as well as Emotional Support or Comfort animals. Unlike the ADA, FHA Act includes any animal. The ADA will only apply to the "public areas" of the premise, but it does not apply to the residential units or to tenants. Unlike the ADA, the landlord may be allowed to ask for documentation for the Assistance Animal.

Please lets get it right and stop using ADA rules and regulations when talking about traditional rental housing as you are giving improper advice to people.

Old 03-15-2015, 01:40 PM

12,016 posts, read 12,746,342 times
No I would not unless the dog posed a danger. In the community I live Rotties and Pit Bulls are not allowed. I had a friend who had a Rottweiler and it was the sweetest dog ever.. I haven't seen any here. I have seen a few that look like Pit Bulls, but even if they were I would not turn them in. I've seen a put bull on another occasion but I don't know if he lived there or was visiting.

Old 03-15-2015, 01:42 PM

268 posts, read 357,377 times
I would not.
I would report any incident, but not just because of the breed.

Old 03-15-2015, 03:51 PM

11,181 posts, read 10,526,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
That ruling applies to public entities only, it does NOT apply to private rental properties.

Here is the DOJ definition of public entity, in relation to the ADA:

Quote:
Public entity means—

(1) Any State or local government;
(2) Any department, agency, special purpose district, or other instrumentality of a State or States or local government; and
(3) The National Railroad Passenger Corporation, and any commuter authority (as defined in section 103(8) of the Rail Passenger Service Act).

Old 03-15-2015, 04:09 PM

13,926 posts, read 39,275,326 times
Since my dogs ARE SD they fall under ADA so they go Every where with me! House rules don't matter. IF LL would Follow TRUE ADA Laws then these Housing Laws wouldn't be Encouraging FAKES!

Old 03-15-2015, 07:01 PM

12,016 posts, read 12,746,342 times
If you are a dog lover and you report a pit bull near where I live it's most likely a death sentence.

If they have to give the dog up they have to send it to the shelter.

Our local shelter has mostly pit bulls because we are in Broward county where they are allowed, but in Miami Dade county they are not and when people want to get rid of them they bring them to our shelter or leave them on our streets, sadly most have to be put down because no one wants them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs