Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2015, 10:14 AM

3,279 posts, read 5,318,749 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by snapdragon1 View Post
This dog means everything to this man, it is his child.
I am sure no-one would leave their child out in the bitter cold. I completely understand.

Boo on the mean sister.
Bull. A dog is not a child and for it to even be suggested, much less practiced, is nothing less than beyond the pale. In fact I'd say anyone who has children and pets and thinks of them as one and the same, especially if their children picked up on it (which most likely they would), if it were up to me social services would take their children away and sever their parental rights 100%, with even visitation not being allowed, simply for having that opinion. That's beyond blasphemy. I know many a dog, cat, ferret or whatever lover who even as they love their pets recognizes that they're not as important as children, and they're right.

"Boo hiss the sister" my foot. Some people don't like dogs in the house for good reasons and she's well within her right to draw that boundary. If it were me I'd never help him out with anything else whatsoever for being so ridiculous. If he can't even bare to be inside the house for awhile, getting a shower and just "being" period, without having his dog around, he doesn't just need a place to stay, he needs psychological help frankly.

Yes I realize this is a dogs forum, but the love some people have for their dogs is just ascinine with how far it goes sometimes. If I had a spouse and they wouldn't go on a vacation because they couldn't bear to be separated from their pet, they'd find themselves in divorce court, where pets probably aren't allowed I'm sure, and they and their pet can lick themselves for the rest of their day while I'd find someone else free of mental issues. Loving a family pet in a normal and healthy way is fine, good even, but some of this is really going overboard.

Last edited by shyguylh; 03-13-2015 at 10:29 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2015, 10:59 AM

186 posts, read 238,822 times
Some of you just don't know the meaning of a dog not just being a pet but being a family member. I don't think the owner would get comfort from knowing his companion is out there while he is warm.

Old 03-13-2015, 02:37 PM

170 posts, read 235,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gia1990 View Post
Some of you just don't know the meaning of a dog not just being a pet but being a family member. I don't think the owner would get comfort from knowing his companion is out there while he is warm.
Seriously? His companion didn't need to be 'out there' but thats what ended up happening. The man decided that the dog should be in sub-zero temperatures. It's ridiculous. Then someone had to step in and get the dog out of the cold. Have any of you even read the article?

Old 03-13-2015, 03:37 PM

2,706 posts, read 3,380,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shyguylh View Post
If I had a spouse and they wouldn't go on a vacation because they couldn't bear to be separated from their pet, they'd find themselves in divorce court, where pets probably aren't allowed I'm sure, and they and their pet can lick themselves for the rest of their day while I'd find someone else free of mental issues. Loving a family pet in a normal and healthy way is fine, good even, but some of this is really going overboard.
We are childless, so our pup is like our child. So it would probably really set you off if I told you (true story), one of our dogs was getting up in years, and needed special vet diet, 4 different meds, and monthly testing to keep the balance.....as long as we followed everything, he was like a healthy pup.....fast forward 1 year, the bills for the dog were totally $700 month, things were getting tight, either the dog, or the house had to go.....sold the house and could only find a rental just over the border in CT that would allow 2 dogs....moved, relocated jobs.....2 years later, dog passed, bought a new house, and if need be, would do it again. We have dropped thousands into our dog(s) with no regrets.....and my Wife went on a cruise with a friend . We used to have someone stay at our house with the dog(s), but 3 years ago, after a weekend at the Lake House, came home to a dog that strangely got ill and had to be put down 2 days later......Doc said "there isn't enough money that will make him better"....he went in my arms...from that day forward, the one that's left, goes where we go....my Wife works P/T just so the dog isn't without one of us more than a couple hours.

Old 03-13-2015, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beer belly View Post
We are childless, so our pup is like our child. So it would probably really set you off if I told you (true story), one of our dogs was getting up in years, and needed special vet diet, 4 different meds, and monthly testing to keep the balance.....as long as we followed everything, he was like a healthy pup.....fast forward 1 year, the bills for the dog were totally $700 month, things were getting tight, either the dog, or the house had to go.....sold the house and could only find a rental just over the border in CT that would allow 2 dogs....moved, relocated jobs.....2 years later, dog passed, bought a new house, and if need be, would do it again. We have dropped thousands into our dog(s) with no regrets.....and my Wife went on a cruise with a friend . We used to have someone stay at our house with the dog(s), but 3 years ago, after a weekend at the Lake House, came home to a dog that strangely got ill and had to be put down 2 days later......Doc said "there isn't enough money that will make him better"....he went in my arms...from that day forward, the one that's left, goes where we go....my Wife works P/T just so the dog isn't without one of us more than a couple hours.
I'd do the same for my children, a pet ---not a chance.

Old 03-13-2015, 10:17 PM

155 posts, read 117,984 times
Some people don't have human kids. And not everyone can. Our dogs are our kids.
Gonna probably tick you off Shyguylh, but what are you even doing on a dog forum?

Last edited by AZIggy; 03-13-2015 at 10:52 PM..

Old 03-13-2015, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZIggy View Post
Some people don't have human kids. Our dogs are our kids.
Gonna probably tick you off Shyguylh, but what are you even doing on a dog forum?
I'm all for people being able to visit pretty much anywhere. I figure anyone here can visit the cats forum, even if they don't like cats necessarily. As for me--I have a couple of dogs and, believe it or not, actually enjoy them.

I in fact have a very close friend who is a dog lover, single with no children, and makes no apology that his life is somewhat dog involved, and he once even spent about $2000 for a dog operation vs having his dog put to sleep. Even so, he still has his common sense about himself. He is understanding of how some people don't like dogs in the house. We've visited (we're out of state) and when we were there with our children he was very good about fencing off some of his more "excitable" dogs, and I in turn was very good about making sure our children didn't pull on his dogs' tails or ears etc. He thinks of his dogs as being sort of LIKE having children but not at all the same thing. I tell him he has nothing to be ashamed of for being single and having dogs instead.

At the same time, I have a very strong and passionate belief that you can love animals, any animal, yet you should never put an animal's life on the same plane of importance as a child, even if you are a childless person with pets. Equating dogs as equal to children leads to issues such as people taking their dogs to a public park and if their dog chases your child they get all defiant about how their dog has as much right to be there as your child vs taking responsibility for their dog's behavior. You get the same thing with people not controlling their dog's barking ruining people's peace and quiet, and their dogs running loose into your yard causing problems. To me, if a dog starts causing those problems on my place, I would be inclined to take action in a more resolute or even possibly brutal manner than if a neighbor's children are doing the same thing. If it were enough of a problem, I'd eventually shoot a neighbor's dog simply for trespassing if it was enough of a problem and I was down to that option after exhausting all others, whereas I'd never DREAM of doing that to a neighbor's child. Dog lovers can get all prideful about how their dogs ARE their children, as if my shooting their dog would be the same as shooting a child, and that is where I go "please" (Stephen A Smith defiant voice).

Beyond that, I think people get ridiculous about it sometimes. You can own a dog and love it and appreciate it without being nuts about it. That is what I am. I have a dog and I do spend time with him and appreciate him, but if it came down to my children or the dog, I'd choose my children in a minute. I don't tolerate him even being a nuisance to the neighbors, much less being a danger. If I had to get rid of the dog for some reason, I could do so without weeping all pathetically, whereas my children are a totally different thing. It doesn't mean I don't value his presence in my life, but I don't go crazy about it. Even famed country comedian Jerry Clower once made reference to this in a comedy bit where he counseled someone whose dog had died and who was crying, and he thought it was on account of his dog dying, and the guy very emphatically exclaimed "what are you crazy?" To me getting THAT sentimental about a dog or cat etc is a bit much.

Last edited by shyguylh; 03-13-2015 at 11:13 PM..

Old 03-13-2015, 11:07 PM

WOW. I'm trying to be nice here.
Why do you keep pulling human kids into this? I don't care to hear about you babbling on how you would choose a child over a dog. Time to move on.
In other words. Quite poking a caged animal. Get it?

Old 03-13-2015, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZIggy View Post
WOW. I'm trying to be nice here.
Why do you keep pulling human kids into this? I don't care to hear about you babbling on how you would choose a child over a dog. Time to move on.
In other words. Quite poking a caged animal. Get it?
That would be QUIT, not QUITE, but hey, we all make typos.

Well many here have said that to them their pets are their children, and I'm sorry, but I think it's downright blasphemous to say that, if what one is saying that there is no difference between their dog being their "child" and parents and their children. There is all the difference in the world. Even my friend, who loves dogs, has tons of them living with him, and even works at a dog rescue place for free, understands this. It's fundamental. It doesn't mean that we with kids don't appreciate a good dog or cat etc, and it doesn't mean I have a problem with people loving their dogs or cats or ferrets and being single etc, that's all fine.

If I need to be more on-topic, I think this man's sister would've not hesitated to have brought in her brother's children if he had any. I don't know her, but it seems that way. Yet she didn't want dogs in the house. I don't see the latter as being even remotely as cold or heartless as the former, whereas refusing to take in this man's children with him, well of course that would have been obviously awful. People making out like his sister saying no to his dog was that level of cold is just silly. That's why I bring it up.

Old 03-13-2015, 11:40 PM

Great comeback with my typo. Done!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs