Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2008, 12:23 PM

2 posts, read 80,048 times

Advertisements

My 6 month old female pit-puppy is throwing up yellow foam.
We let her sleep in the bed last night..cause she was chilly from the bath. We woke up and she stayed in bed....she usually has to go potty. When I looked by the front door I noticed she had peed and had a runny bowel movement sometime last night. I took her out and she had a more regular colored poop but it was small and not solid.
She didn't eat this morning and went back to bed. She got up coughing ran to her kennel threw up a thick yellow bile-foam vomit...ran to the living room and did more in there. She looked at me with sad puppy eyes....and went to bed. I gave her a little pepto and she is still sleeping.

We recently changed her food from beneful puppy to the adult salmon formula and she stopped eating...so I switched her back. She started eating regularly yesterday. Played at the dog park 2 days in a row like a champ...was full of energy last night.
We gave her a bath cause she was filthy from the park and then a pig-ear...she loves them.
She is still sleeping now. I am currently unemployed and looking for work..money is tight I don't want to take her to the vet for endless tests and have them tell me 200-300 bucks later that she ate some grass, we switched her food, or something mundane.

What should I do?
Should I skip eating and take her to the vets?
Help! Has this happened to you?
Advice..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2008, 12:25 PM

2 posts, read 80,048 times
hey also she was boarded for a week over the holiday. could she be sick from that? she is an indoor dog and the kennels were outside...

Old 01-12-2008, 01:10 PM

3 posts, read 82,736 times
Default Sounds like parvo...

I hope its not, but sounds very similar to what my 4 month Amstaff came across... Normally as cheerful as can be, he became very sad and sick looking over night.. VOmitting a yellow color and diarhea as well..

Took him to the vet and he tested positive for parvo.. THe sooner he is checked the better, he has made a full recovery and in the 6-8 weeks since he was sick he has went from 25lbs back to a 45 and growing!

Old 01-12-2008, 01:14 PM

3 posts, read 82,736 times
Mine got sick the day after he was in getting his nails trimmed and a bath... Shame on me for not have ALL his shots up to date.. The vet told me there was a outbreak of parvo - I think he definitely got it at the groomer/store..

Old 01-13-2008, 09:21 AM

389 posts, read 3,532,248 times
It could be any of the things you mentioned, or a combination. When you changed her food, did you do it gradually or just stop one and start the other?

She could have caught something at the kennel...hopefully she has all of her vaccinations, but even then she could catch some sort of upper respiratory infection that would just make her feel like poop and throw up foamy bile, or it could be something more serious. Parvo puppies usually have (and I say usually, not always) terrible diarrhea that is like water and parvo poop has its very own unique smell, these puppies are very sick and can actually die from it. So bottom line, she needs to see a vet, she is probably quite dehydrated from all of this and may need fluids. If she's still eating and drinking, that's a good sign, but she still needs to be seen, and it will probably be pricey because they may want to do chest xrays depending on what her lungs sound like. I hope it turns out to be nothing and that she just got a little puppy bug.

Good luck

Old 01-13-2008, 09:28 AM

4,948 posts, read 18,630,907 times
hi, i had a puppy who threw up yellow bile early in the morning. otherwise she was healthy, had all her shots etc., the vet said some dogs do this when they have an empty tummy. why did you switch to adult dog food? I think 3 months is still young.
also you should still give some of the old food with the new. I sure hope it is not parvo.

Old 01-13-2008, 12:13 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,337,293 times
I agree with the above about switching her back to puppy food. Unless she is showing a weight gain problem or is not active enough, you can still keep her on puppy food.

When dogs eat grass and throw it up, you usually see the grass in the vomit....could you see grass? Also, they often intentionally eat the grass because their bellies don't feel good and they want to throw up.

If the diarrhea/vomiting is still there after 24 hours (and it's now been 24 hours since your original post), I think you'll need to take the pup in to the vet.

There could be an infection (can you check your dog's temperature?), also, vomiting and diarrhea can cause dehydration.

Old 01-13-2008, 01:12 PM

1,257 posts, read 4,560,439 times
A tablet of Metronidazole should control the problem. If not, parvo may be suspected. Metronidazole didn't cost much but vets usuall want you to pay other fee (exam, fecal float..). You will have to see a vet unless you know one that would sell you the medicine only. Local animal shelter hospital may also charge less than a normal vet. Good luck. When you switch food, the bacteria population is out of control. If the bad one wins (the one who eats protein/meat), you will see blood in you baby's poop. Antibiotics will wipe out of whole population and allow them to re-establish. So do introduce some yogurt to bring in health strains during the recovery.

Old 01-13-2008, 03:03 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,678,014 times
Dogs will also eat grass if their stomach is upset and then they will throw it up. Adding in the other end though does seem like there could be some other issues. If he/she goes out and eats a few bites of grass to clean their upset tummy out and throws it up a few times that is one thing.

Get him checked out and hopefully everything is okay. Poor baby

Old 01-13-2008, 05:01 PM

311 posts, read 1,055,462 times
I don't really know what to suggest but I just wanted to post and say that I hope your dog feels better soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs