U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2015, 03:10 PM

231 posts, read 150,788 times

Advertisements

My dog is eating but he is so quiet, not like himself at all.

His partner( 15 yrs old) of his whole life (14 years) went to Rainbow Bridge a week ago and he misses her.

So sad to see.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2015, 04:18 PM

811 posts, read 1,124,933 times
My dog was eating OK but his personality changed for a good 3 weeks after his buddy died. He was very quite and down. He is normally full of beans and a very happy boy and quite vocal. He eventually started to come out of it then we got another dog and that brought him out of it. You are right, it is very sad to see and you can't explain it to them.

Old 03-17-2015, 04:35 PM

12,656 posts, read 10,739,738 times
I found 2 wks esp....then a little more so, so 3 weeks total.

Terrible...so I kept him busy and at my side everywhere....but his
buddy was gone.
(Little dachs/chihuahua) Now he's gone, too.

Old 03-17-2015, 07:11 PM

3,464 posts, read 3,008,228 times
If that story is true about the Akita in Japan, who knows how long?

Old 03-17-2015, 07:12 PM

7,623 posts, read 8,969,217 times
Just like humans, each dog takes their own time to grieve.

Old 03-18-2015, 12:52 PM

231 posts, read 150,788 times
Thank-you everyone. He isn't even excited about going for a walk.

Feel like I have a different dog living here , since he lost his pal.

He used to be on the hyper side even though he is up there in years.

Old 03-18-2015, 05:03 PM

9,343 posts, read 8,738,980 times
How are you and the family dealing with the loss? Sometimes dogs/cats can pick up on humans' emotions.

Old 03-19-2015, 11:16 PM

42,223 posts, read 49,768,169 times
This is kind of why I wanted my dog (who was 4 when my other was ~11) to be there when we put the other dog down, but it was so sudden we didn't have time. She wandered around whining for a long time, maybe a week or so. And then, if she ever received a bone like the bone they used to play with together, she would cry. That went on for more than a year. We would not buy those kind of bones for a couple of months and then if we reintroduce them, she would start crying again. And pacing as if searching. She seems okay now. We have a new dog and they can have bones now, but they don't play bones.
But she is much more attached to me than she used to be before our first dog died.
It was tough...just as I would feel better, she would cry and I would break all over again.

Old 03-20-2015, 12:26 PM

12,123 posts, read 29,942,933 times
Take him to the VET! I was once told my dog was grieving over a lost buddy 2 weeks later the dog was DEAD! I missed the signs cause a newbie to dogs I trusted when people said it was grief. Dog was SICK!

Old 03-20-2015, 01:59 PM

4,520 posts, read 9,613,850 times
My dogs seemed to have gotten over the loss of their buddy pretty quick but it maybe do to the fact there was always another dog ( or sometimes a puppy) in the house as I get a new dog when I think the time an old one has is getting short so will have 3 dogs sometimes for a few months sometimes a year or more. Jazz and Dash spent their lives together but Dazzle was added months before Dash died so when Dash died young Dazzle set about winning over the old grumpy Jazz. Before Dash had died she wanted nothing to do with Dazzle but after Dash was gone Dazzle won her over.

I think the most grief I saw was with Phoenix as while she had started out with me she had gone to live with my parents for a number of years.First my mom died and I do believe Phoenix then saw she had a job and that was keeping an eye on my dad and being a border collie she loved having a job. Well 4 yrs later my dad suddenly got very sick and could not get out of bed and when the paramedics got there she was on the bed with him and would not get off so had to be picked up and carried outside. ( and she was not a dog that slept on beds) My dad died 24 hrs later at the hospital so she never saw him again and she came back to live with me and she sulked for weeks but I tried my hardest to do fun things like beach walks and the dog park with Her, Jazz and Dazzle and even Jazz was being nice to her. She also seemed to grieve when a few months later I had to put old Jazz down. That one surprised me as Jazz was the reason Phoenix had to go live with my parents as that first time she lived with me Jazz would not stop picking on her.

Grief is a very individual thing and one can not put a time on it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs