Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-20-2015, 06:34 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,071,612 times

Advertisements

This is a wonderful story about the outcome possible for fearful dogs. Little Coconut made remarkable transformation.l Think of all the potentially loveable pets languishing in shelters or puppy mills or even worse...the ones put down.

This Vicious Dog Makes A Phenomenal Transformation | SF Globe
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2015, 01:15 PM

8,568 posts, read 18,106,143 times
A local woman trapped a feral puppy. Sad story with a happy ending. His grandmother is feral - and the mother of the puppy is feral. Last litter there were 4-5 pups; 2 shot dead by neighbors/kids/unknown; so a local rescue asked me if I'd foster if they could catch one or more. Within 24 hours, one pup was trapped and they warned me he was a biter. Well, ya, he was in a trap. They wouldn't even take him out, just transferred him to me trap and all.

Brought him home in the trap and my husband and I got him out - it was tough - trap was too small and not working right, so we had a struggle with a struggling to avoid us puppy also. He snapped at me, but no bite. Into a crate and immediately I began working with him. First was sitting next to the crate talking softly, then putting a bite of food into the crate - just a bite. Same with water, just a little. By the end of the night, he was no longer fearful of me and let me touch him. In the morning, he made a huge leap when he let me pick him up - we guessed he was around 8 weeks old. So, he let me give him a bath and we found a pellet lodged in his head. Made a vet appt but had to wait 3 days. During that time, I worked with him - hand feeding mostly. My service dog was always at my side when working with the puppy - and she began to "take over" his training. Within 3 days, he was walking on a leash without pulling and knew some basic commands - mostly come, no, and even crate. Amazing how fast he learned.

He was here for 5 weeks - doubled his size, was completely housebroken, and people friendly. He is adopted and they are thrilled with him. He fit right into the family with 2 older dogs and grandkids.

Amazing critters.

Old 03-20-2015, 03:20 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,071,612 times
Bless you for this word with the pup. Sounds like you are just the right person for the job.

Old 03-20-2015, 05:15 PM

8,568 posts, read 18,106,143 times
Thanks, NK. I didn't start to foster until 2 years ago. My first foster had parvo, but we caught it early and she survived. Next foster had been a bait dog and, after 4 months of working with her, friends fell in love and adopted her. I never get the cute, ready to adopt puppies, and that's ok. I think we are more suited for the ones that require that extra bit of whatever it takes.

I accepted a severely injured puppy on Monday. In addition to his injuries and infections, he came down with parvo and this morning he crossed the rainbow bridge. At least he had 4 days of loving that he'd never had before. It hurts that he left so soon, but better he was here than out on the highway where he'd been found.

Old 03-23-2015, 11:37 PM
ZSP

1,765 posts, read 5,119,709 times
NY Annie, bless you for all you do for these pups/dogs. It takes a special kind of 'heart' to take them in, work with them and ready them for adoption. Or as in this last case, he had four days of kind hands touching him, a sweet voice in his ear. I know it meant everything to him. I know angels carried him to his rest.

Thank you, thank you, thank you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs