Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2015, 08:45 AM

10,599 posts, read 17,892,301 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumpindogs View Post
You wouldn't care and that's fine. But if someone is looking for a specific breed for a specific purpose or a dog with a certain inherent temperament to greatly enhance the chances of a successful match then it does matter. The phenomenon of shelter dogs too stressed to display their natural personalities in the tense confines of the shelter...nearly constant barking, comparatively minimal interaction with humans, comparatively little exercise, etc...is very well known. Once the dog has a few weeks of settling into the new home environment, he typically feels comfy enough for his true personality to emerge and sometimes it's not what was expected or desired. That's why I usually refer to a good rescue group that keeps their dogs in foster homes for several weeks before adopting them out.

The very sad plight of so many euthanized animals is a problem those of us who care about should and do work to resolve. But that doesn't mean we should not have the pets we desire especially if we have specific characteristics in mind.

There are millions of orphans in the world. Does that mean we shouldn't bear natural children? I am not saying dogs are of equal importance to kids, just making the comparison for the logic of the reasoning.

BTW, love your screen name!
Thanks - I do run with scissors alot in my life. Luckily it's all worked out LOL.

I simply stated who cares if a breeder gets their nose out of joint over a cancelled appointment. There are worse things concerning dogs in the world.

Now obviously the OP has their mind made up AGAINST a homeless dog (or even HUNDREDS if not THOUSANDS of homeless PUPPIES)...so I didn't even go into the pros and cons and don't intend on doing so.

The FAMILY is not ready. For any breed from any source so her only issue is the breeder's opinion of her.

Besides, she was only window shopping. Going out to "look at puppies".

it's actually a blessing in disguise because IMO, if the humans are THIS INSECURE - as to worry about cancelling a breeder appointment, living in a chaotic household, they're going to have their hands full not being able to provide the leadership, rules boundaries and limitations required to be a successful dog owner.

And THAT'S in part, how so many dogs end up homeless.

The cycle will ALWAYS continue because people are told what they want to hear and not get their feelings hurt instead of being educated about what they NEED to hear.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2015, 08:58 AM

2,080 posts, read 1,605,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
I wouldn't care WHAT a breeder "thought of me".

Millions of unwanted dogs are euthanized every year so really, in the big picture ...who cares if you changed your minds.

If the breeder had spent an hour or more of her very busy (when rearing a litter of puppies) schedule talking on the phone and/or emailing back and forth with the potential buyer, educating the buyer about the breed, and blocking off time for the buyer to come and see the litter; it makes sense to me that the potential buyer cares what the breeder thinks. (it's not as if this breeder is a pet shop; or the potential buyer is a 'customer' or is doing the breeder a favor by being interested in one of her pups) Obviously the potential buyer is being sensitive and courteous by displaying concern for the breeder's feelings.

As other posters have said, the breeder will definitely think better of the buyer for backing out now, out of good and valid concerns, not being ready, etc., then if the buyer took the pup and then hauled it back or dumped it several months later because the family (especially the buyer's husband) couldn't cope. And if/when the buyer and family are ready for a pup, there is no reason why the breeder, if she is a responsible breeder, would not sell them a pup at that time if she is willing to do so now.

Old 04-10-2015, 09:22 AM

324 posts, read 837,173 times
Quote:
Thanks - I do run with scissors alot in my life. Luckily it's all worked out LOL.

I simply stated who cares if a breeder gets their nose out of joint over a cancelled appointment. There are worse things concerning dogs in the world.

Now obviously the OP has their mind made up AGAINST a homeless dog (or even HUNDREDS if not THOUSANDS of homeless PUPPIES)...so I didn't even go into the pros and cons and don't intend on doing so.

The FAMILY is not ready. For any breed from any source so her only issue is the breeder's opinion of her.

it's actually a blessing in disguise because IMO, if the humans are THIS INSECURE - as to worry about cancelling a breeder appointment, living in a chaotic household, they're going to have their hands full not being able to provide the leadership, rules boundaries and limitations required to be a successful dog owner.

The cycle will ALWAYS continue because people are told what they want to hear and not get their feelings hurt instead of being educated about what they NEED to hear.
Wow. Judgmental much? You know nothing about me, my household, or my family. We were not "window shopping" and the rest of your rant is out of line and completely off base.

The breeder has spent a great deal of time and energy communicating with me. Of course I don't want to offend her by cancelling! I would be concerned about cancelling an engagement with anyone that has put time and effort into helping me, especially if I was hoping (as I am) to maintain good relations.

Old 04-11-2015, 06:15 PM

1,961 posts, read 2,252,666 times
Quote:

I sense some issues here and not with the OP. You've made several assumptions that are not valid considering the OP's posts. Chill please.

Old 04-12-2015, 07:27 AM

621 posts, read 1,421,890 times
As a breeder, I might be dissapointed at the loss of a good home, but glad you rethought it when you did. Nothing worse then a family all excited about a puppy, coming to get it and taking it home and then getting that call a week later that it was WAY more then they thought it was going to be!

Only your family can make the right choice for your family. If the breeder is a good one, they won't think you are a flake..... they will think you are smart!

Old 04-12-2015, 02:16 PM

324 posts, read 837,173 times
Thanks for all the replies. I spoke with the breeder yesterday and she was very understanding. She may or may not have another litter, but offered to assist me in finding a reputable breeder when the time came. I have a great deal of respect for her and the thought that goes into her breeding program and the thorough health testing that is conducted; so even if I am not able to get a puppy from her, I would trust someone she recommended.

Some of the posts here have illustrated exactly why I was concerned--I didn't want her to think that if we had already brought a puppy home with us, we would be reconsidering and bringing it back to her. Had we already purchased the pup it would have been fine and we would have worked through it, but felt given the choice it would be better for us--and the pup--to wait until we were through this transition phase.

Anyway, the breeder and my family are going to try and meet later this summer even if there is not a litter involved, just because I would like to meet her and her furkids. So everything worked out.

Old 04-12-2015, 05:01 PM

1,961 posts, read 2,252,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnlyWhnChasd View Post
Thanks for all the replies. I spoke with the breeder yesterday and she was very understanding. She may or may not have another litter, but offered to assist me in finding a reputable breeder when the time came. I have a great deal of respect for her and the thought that goes into her breeding program and the thorough health testing that is conducted; so even if I am not able to get a puppy from her, I would trust someone she recommended.

Some of the posts here have illustrated exactly why I was concerned--I didn't want her to think that if we had already brought a puppy home with us, we would be reconsidering and bringing it back to her. Had we already purchased the pup it would have been fine and we would have worked through it, but felt given the choice it would be better for us--and the pup--to wait until we were through this transition phase.

Anyway, the breeder and my family are going to try and meet later this summer even if there is not a litter involved, just because I would like to meet her and her furkids. So everything worked out.
Glad to hear it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs