Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2015, 02:58 PM

324 posts, read 836,768 times

Advertisements

DH and I had been looking into getting a dog. We'd talked extensively about it and we were both on board. He encouraged me to contact breeders and find out about getting a puppy, and so I did. We were set to go and look at puppies this weekend, but as the days got closer, I could tell he was pulling back. He finally admitted that he isn't ready. He's not writing it off completely, just wants to wait until at least the fall, possibly next year. I'm sure a lot of it has to do with having started a new job so he's feeling pressure there and maybe the addition of a puppy to an already chaotic household (we have two young kids) would put him over the edge right now.

Anyway, I'm wondering how to tell the breeder we've decided to hold off without sounding like a complete flake? I was enthusiastic when I contacted her because I was excited and thought DH was too. I'm afraid that by now telling her we're not ready, she's going to think I'm completely wishy-washy and unfit for future consideration.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2015, 03:03 PM

1,829 posts, read 2,234,864 times
Just tell them you've decided to wait to get a puppy until next year, but would like to come out and meet the ***** and sire to get a feel for the parents, see the puppies that are currently available, and you would like to discuss how he determines good genetics/researches pedigrees.

Now you become a dog afficionado instead of a flake, and you may learn some important things to consider that will help you when you are both ready to get your dog.

Old 04-09-2015, 03:14 PM

Excellent advice and that was what I wanted to do, but the breeder is over 2 hours away and DH doesn't want to subject himself or the kids to 5+ hours in the car (roundtrip) when we're not actually getting a puppy. I see his point, but not sure his the breeder will see it.

Old 04-09-2015, 03:18 PM

19,743 posts, read 22,635,943 times
Just tell them you're not ready. A good breeder would appreciate that as most would not want their dogs placed in the wrong environment. No harm no foul.

Old 04-09-2015, 03:20 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,202,137 times
Just call her and say that you've decided to hold off. Believe me....You are making more out of this than they would.

Old 04-09-2015, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnlyWhnChasd View Post
Excellent advice and that was what I wanted to do, but the breeder is over 2 hours away and DH doesn't want to subject himself or the kids to 5+ hours in the car (roundtrip) when we're not actually getting a puppy. I see his point, but not sure his the breeder will see it.
Then just one of you go, or drop the kids off with the folks and make it a date for you and hubby (if my wife throws in a movie and sex, I will even go antiquing ). Don't blame your hubby for not being that thrilled with 5 hours in a car with kids to see puppies your're not taking home I wouldn't want to make that trip either!

Old 04-09-2015, 03:23 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,202,137 times
Quote:
I agree with your Hubby....Don't even consider driving all that way to waste the breeders time just because....That is pure silly.
Call and simply be honest....You've decided to hold off. Thank them for their time...And, maybe you'll check with them at a future date. Then hang up.....end of story. This is a business transaction...at least for the breeder.
Then go spend the day with your kids somewhere nice and relax...

Old 04-09-2015, 03:29 PM

1,961 posts, read 2,251,685 times
Quote:
DH and I had been looking into getting a dog. We'd talked extensively about it and we were both on board. He encouraged me to contact breeders and find out about getting a puppy, and so I did. We were set to go and look at puppies this weekend, but as the days got closer, I could tell he was pulling back. He finally admitted that he isn't ready. He's not writing it off completely, just wants to wait until at least the fall, possibly next year. I'm sure a lot of it has to do with having started a new job so he's feeling pressure there and maybe the addition of a puppy to an already chaotic household (we have two young kids) would put him over the edge right now.

Anyway, I'm wondering how to tell the breeder we've decided to hold off without sounding like a complete flake? I was enthusiastic when I contacted her because I was excited and thought DH was too. I'm afraid that by now telling her we're not ready, she's going to think I'm completely wishy-washy and unfit for future consideration.
A good breeder will want you to hold off under those circumstances and will likely consider you an even better puppy home than she did before for doing so. A good breeder's goal is not to sell puppies but to place her pups in the best forever homes possible with the best chance of a great match and a lifelong relationship. That requires honesty on the part of both puppy buyer and breeder. So don't try to cover up your reasons. Tell her your hubby isn't ready and why.

If she gets mad or thinks you're wishy-washy then she isn't a good breeder and you should look elsewhere. And consider the experience a valuable lesson.

Old 04-09-2015, 03:33 PM

Thank you for all the replies. I'm hoping I'm making a bigger deal out of this than she will. We've talked a lot and she really scrutinizes the people who get her puppies. Even if we were on board with getting one now, there would be no guarantee we would make the cut as she is interviewing several families with only a few puppies available. That's how serious she is about her dogs! I just worry she'll think, "Well, they decided they didn't want a puppy once; what's to say they won't decide they don't want a puppy after they have one?" When in reality of course that's a whole different situation. I guess I just have to be honest and hope for the best.

Old 04-09-2015, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
I agree with your Hubby....Don't even consider driving all that way to waste the breeders time just because....That is pure silly.
Call and simply be honest....You've decided to hold off. Thank them for their time...And, maybe you'll check with them at a future date. Then hang up.....end of story. This is a business transaction...at least for the breeder.
Then go spend the day with your kids somewhere nice and relax...
I don't know, I think a trip to the breeder could be very valuable for the couple. Also, if a breeder thinks I am wasting his/her time by wanting to meet the ***** and sire, see the operation, and look at/discuss lineage, well, then that's just not a breeder I would use.

Different strokes, I guess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs