Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2015, 09:55 PM

13,926 posts, read 39,271,700 times

Advertisements

I am W/C & Bedridden! As said I stopped mine with pepper. And with so much freedom to go in & out & You Not being able to follow them How do you know they eat poo?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2015, 12:21 PM

4,343 posts, read 14,772,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
I am W/C & Bedridden! As said I stopped mine with pepper. And with so much freedom to go in & out & You Not being able to follow them How do you know they eat poo?
Many ways. As stated, Bella throws up and it's obviously from poop. It's obvious, yuck.
They come in and breath smells like poop.
I've caught them in the act, I just can't watch every move they make and catch them every time.
When we I do go out and clean up their fenced area, sometimes not much there or nothing so unless there is a poop thief, I'm sure they are having an extra snack. lol

Seriously though, when I adopted Roxy, I was able to take her for walks and she wasn't house trained. I house trained her but saw her trying to quickly turn around and eat it. I would say no, pick it up with a bag. She was severely neglected before I got her. I dont think she was hardly fed and I was told she was in a crate all the time. I'm thinking she started eating her own poop because she was hungry and also so not to be stuck in the crate with poop all the time. She is very stubborn and that became a bad habit.

In the meantime we put up a fenced area and doggie door. Then adopted Bella who is wild and crazy but she didn't eat poop and was house trained. I progressively got sicker, more bedridden so I dont get to walk them. They get walks here and there but mostly they walk around on the back porch and back yard area. Bella is Houdini and disappears a lot. LOve her to pieces but no way I can watch her every move. She also is a big eater, even though she is only ten lbs. I keep them both at a good weight so they dont have back problems. Bella already had surgery twice because she is so wild running around and jumping - she is part min pincher, they are very cute but crazy with jumping.

After several weeks of getting Bella she saw Roxy eating poop and I guess one day decided to try it. She was hooked and doing it ever since. Roxy never gets sick from it. Bella always does. I dont know if it's because Roxy was used to it and living like that or what.

I kinda feel bad putting pepper on it but I'm thinking that would require catching them right when they poop.
The meat tenderizer theory was put it in their food so when they poop it out it tastes bad and they won't eat it.

Old 04-19-2015, 03:04 PM

What foods do you feed them? Some say cheep brands cause stool eating. I don't believe it tho. I had Cockers that were fed the Best! When one sister would poo they other sister would eat it Before it hit the ground! Never could stop them! When my shelties started copy them I re-homed them. The each went to different home & I was told Never ate poo again! But the Crazy thing is Mommy dogs stimulate puppies & clean up after them... these girls Never did!

Old 04-20-2015, 04:00 PM

488 posts, read 856,814 times
I figured out when my Shih Tzu eats poop, there is something wrong with their food. Dogs do it for nutrients. I had my two dogs on vegetarian food for a long time because my Maltipoo refused to eat meat. I'd give my Shih Tzu some of my meat in addition to make sure he got some, but it wasn't enough. The Shih Tzu would literally catch the poop coming out of the Maltipoo's butt in order to grab it and wolf it down before I could get to it. I finally found a meat based food that my Maltipoo would eat, and life was good for a while. Then I must have gotten a bad batch because he suddenly started it again. I bought a new bag of food, he stopped.

Check the quality of the food. If you're buying the cheaper, lower grade food, this could be the issue. Look at dogfoodratings.com to see how your food ranks on the nutrition scale. It might be time for a switch.

Old 04-20-2015, 06:13 PM

I researched and buy quality food, that is not the problem.
Dogs eat poop for more than one reason, one is habit. I just need to break the habit.

I mix it up but these are the brands I stick with.

Blue Buffalo
Nutro
Wellness
Natural Balance
http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/

They are all 4 or 5 star ratings. I also give them some veg., eggs once in a while, salmon and hamburger. They are very healthy, I have them checked often, shots up to date, if they even sneeze I call the vet so they're are well taken care of.
Aside from Bella being nuts jumping and her surgeries, which I spent $10,000 and paid extra for HBOT, I dont even do for myself. They have no problems. Like described, its a habit, Dachshunds are very stubborn and I just cant be on top of them every second they poop.

I will be moving (hopefully) and my health should get better so when I let them in the yard, I can follow and pick up and train better. Right now just need them to stop so Bella stops throwing up all over house. Especially my bed!!

Old 04-20-2015, 06:26 PM

6,952 posts, read 22,677,759 times
I had a dog who was a poop eater, and he especially liked to eat the poop of the new foster dogs that came and went for several years. I pretty much solved the problem by giving each dog a small piece of pineapple -- fresh or unsweetened canned -- each day as a treat. My dog hated the taste of poop laced with pineapple.

Old 04-21-2015, 11:14 PM

Distract them with a treat! While they eat clean the poo up! ... Do you have Helper willing to do this?

Don't let them on the bed!

Old 04-23-2015, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirl View Post
I had a dog who was a poop eater, and he especially liked to eat the poop of the new foster dogs that came and went for several years. I pretty much solved the problem by giving each dog a small piece of pineapple -- fresh or unsweetened canned -- each day as a treat. My dog hated the taste of poop laced with pineapple.
I tried this many times, it didnt work but thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
Distract them with a treat! While they eat clean the poo up! ... Do you have Helper willing to do this?

Don't let them on the bed!
I don't think you are getting a clear picture of what happens but thats ok I appreciate the ideas. No I dont have a helper. That sure would be nice though. Not letting them on the bed will never happen. They want to do it as much as I want them to. I'm sick for 9 years and they are my best friends. We spend every day together and most of that is watching Netflix. I could never imagine them not being by my side. They are both 10lbs small dogs that all they want to do is snuggle up against me. Well aside from eat poop.

Old 04-23-2015, 01:17 PM

Not going to deny a snuggle Can you keep them off the bed til they throw up? Does it happen as soon as they come in? Or is it unexpected hours later? I took care of a elderly lady years ago she had this elderly cat The cat would throw up within 30 mins of eating. After that the cat was fine & allowed on the ladys bed! By the time I was hired they had it down to a routine. Feed cat... cat waited til it thru up then cat got on bed til next meal.

Old 04-23-2015, 01:31 PM

4,286 posts, read 4,756,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapture View Post
I researched and buy quality food, that is not the problem.
Dogs eat poop for more than one reason, one is habit. I just need to break the habit.

I mix it up but these are the brands I stick with.

Blue Buffalo
Nutro
Wellness
Natural Balance
Dog Food Reviews and Ratings | Dog Food Advisor

They are all 4 or 5 star ratings. I also give them some veg., eggs once in a while, salmon and hamburger. They are very healthy, I have them checked often, shots up to date, if they even sneeze I call the vet so they're are well taken care of.
Aside from Bella being nuts jumping and her surgeries, which I spent $10,000 and paid extra for HBOT, I dont even do for myself. They have no problems. Like described, its a habit, Dachshunds are very stubborn and I just cant be on top of them every second they poop.

I will be moving (hopefully) and my health should get better so when I let them in the yard, I can follow and pick up and train better. Right now just need them to stop so Bella stops throwing up all over house. Especially my bed!!
I totally agree the type of food is not the issue. I wish you much luck OP but this is one thing I've never been able to stop unless they are on some kind of supplement to make the poop taste bad (I would think it would taste bad enough on its own!). I have noticed that, for the most part, it seems to happen when my dogs get older.

If you find something that is a permanent solution please post it because I'd love to try it.

Good luck!

--------------------------------

Slightly OT but I will add for anyone reading this thread, that I have had horrible luck with Blue Buffalo. It made my GSD lose his stunning plush coat. He looked like a sickly stray who was eating garbage to survive - his coat was that bad. I took him to the vet because I thought he was sick and they and ran a full blood panel and it was perfect. The vet thought it was the food. I switched him back to what I was feeding (Natures Recipe) and his coat is coming back in nicely. I know a lot of people swear by Blue Buffalo but I will never feed it again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs