Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-24-2015, 01:13 PM

22 posts, read 51,984 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I'm hoping to take my mother on a 2-night getaway this summer. Her (our) dog just ended a round of chemo and cannot get vaccinations (and thus cannot board). Unfortunately we don't have anyone who can let her stay with them bc of her size (she's a hefty 90 lb lab), and having someone stay at my mom's isn't possible (senior apartment housing). We could have someone check on her daily, but I don't think I like that option. I'm leaning toward taking her with us to an AirBnB that allows dogs. She'd only be home for an hour or so at a time except one instance where she'd be alone for up to 4 hours. She's usually more than fine alone, totally chill etc. I THINK she'd be okay alone, but obviously I'm a little worried. We figured we'd test it when we get there by leaving her for short periods of time. Worse case, we can nix our plans that require us to be away and figure it out.

Any suggestions on how to make this easy on her? The home is super dog-friendly (no carpets to tear up/nervous pee on) etc. She's not crate trained so I'm scared to start now, but considering it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2015, 02:42 PM

13,926 posts, read 39,275,326 times
I think I just board her at the vets. They know her & she knows them & any medical problems she be right there.

Old 04-24-2015, 02:52 PM

1,727 posts, read 1,986,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashleyk1987 View Post
Hi all,

I'm hoping to take my mother on a 2-night getaway this summer. Her (our) dog just ended a round of chemo and cannot get vaccinations (and thus cannot board). Unfortunately we don't have anyone who can let her stay with them bc of her size (she's a hefty 90 lb lab), and having someone stay at my mom's isn't possible (senior apartment housing). We could have someone check on her daily, but I don't think I like that option. I'm leaning toward taking her with us to an AirBnB that allows dogs. She'd only be home for an hour or so at a time except one instance where she'd be alone for up to 4 hours. She's usually more than fine alone, totally chill etc. I THINK she'd be okay alone, but obviously I'm a little worried. We figured we'd test it when we get there by leaving her for short periods of time. Worse case, we can nix our plans that require us to be away and figure it out.

Any suggestions on how to make this easy on her? The home is super dog-friendly (no carpets to tear up/nervous pee on) etc. She's not crate trained so I'm scared to start now, but considering it.
I would suggest finding a reputable dog sitting service who would come in and stay overnight with her in your (or your mom's) home. Being in her own home will be far more comfortable for her than taking her with you. I pay my overnight sitter $50/night and she is worth every penny.

If you feel you really need to take her with you to air bnb, then put her in your room with food/water, and be sure your hosts understand that she must remain in there undisturbed. Personally I wouldn't leave my dog alone in someone's home that I didn't know.

Old 04-24-2015, 03:57 PM

3,605 posts, read 9,055,148 times
We always took our dogs on vacation with us but never left them in the room alone, they loved to travel and it was a fun experience for all.

In your situation I would look for a dog sitter that can stay in your Mom's place, there must be a clause that a house sitter can be there for a short period of time even if they aren't a senior. If that isn't possible look for a good dog sitter at the place you will be staying so the dog isn't left alone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs