Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2015, 02:29 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,788,014 times

Advertisements

It is not uncommon with some humans.

Animals operate off of energy.

You posted that you were diagnosed on the Autism Spectrum - Asperger syndrome with elevated social anxiety.

It's not hate - it's that most well balanced dogs are drawn to confident leaders and the neurotic dogs are drawn to people who are NOT confident or exhibit weak energy. Or confusing energy. Or instability. Or being emotional.

You said you "ruined puppies". Puppies are LEARNING.

That's because you don't know the rules of dogs. The body language. The needs. The rules, boundaries and limitations. The communication style. And how your energy impacts them.

Old 05-02-2015, 02:54 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,788,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmb501 View Post
I've seen that taking some of my angst out in the Pets forum has caused trouble.
This is why you have trouble with dogs.

They don't do well with angst.

Old 05-02-2015, 03:06 PM

4,366 posts, read 4,549,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subject2change View Post
Don't even ask me what my dogs said about you dissing their cats. Now let's stop this stupid argument. Why does one have to be better than the other?
I'm sorry. I've been asking that question, too, but as long as some dog-only people add fuel to the fire I feel like I need to react.

Old 05-02-2015, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
It is not uncommon with some humans.

Animals operate off of energy.

You posted that you were diagnosed on the Autism Spectrum - Asperger syndrome with elevated social anxiety.

It's not hate - it's that most well balanced dogs are drawn to confident leaders and the neurotic dogs are drawn to people who are NOT confident or exhibit weak energy. Or confusing energy. Or instability. Or being emotional.

You said you "ruined puppies". Puppies are LEARNING.

That's because you don't know the rules of dogs. The body language. The needs. The rules, boundaries and limitations. The communication style. And how your energy impacts them.
That's true. I'm listening.

Old 05-02-2015, 04:17 PM

10,746 posts, read 25,861,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
Does it appear to anyone else that the OP really hasn't done any research or even read other posts here at C-D? Also it looks to me like OP would like a well-behaved dog on a leash out in public because it might impress others.

I was really concerned when OP said he liked children but didn't like them when they misbehaved and the same with dogs. That, to me, is a red flag and he should avoid having both. I never dislike my children or pets because they misbehave and that will send a message to the child/pet.

OP, why don't you ask all these prize winning friends who inherited your dogs how they do it? They have a relationship between the dog and the person which I am not sure that you can develop with your attitude. My dogs and kids both accept that I can mistakes just like they can, we have a "mutual" thing going on. It doesn't appear that you can bond with a dog. Caring for a dog is a lot of work and training them doesn't happen quickly, same with children.

Have you concerned keeping gold fish?

Yes, they considered gold fish. In fact, they wanted to breed the goldfish.

Old 05-02-2015, 05:41 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,424,020 times
Quote:
I'm tired of cats or dogs arguments. It really seems like some of us are made for one, and some of us are made for the other. Everything the other poster said about cats, I could say about dogs, except the "easy to care for" part. I could tell you, oh uninformed dog lover, why cats make such awesome pets, but I don't think you would be interested in listening, and you have to listen to own a cat. They are very sensitive creatures.
Some are made for neither. Your posts about cats show a huge lack of knowledge about them and it seems (from your posts) that they are as disposable to you as the several dogs you've had who have been "re-homed" when you couldn't deal with them - something which you seem to find perfectly acceptable. Your own opinions on the care and feeding of animals are faulty at best, and other information you share is excerpted from pet care websites. "Oh uninformed dog lover ...."? The height of irony.

Old 05-02-2015, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
Some are made for neither. Your posts about cats show a huge lack of knowledge about them and it seems (from your posts) that they are as disposable to you as the several dogs you've had who have been "re-homed" when you couldn't deal with them - something which you seem to find perfectly acceptable. Your own opinions on the care and feeding of animals are faulty at best, and other information you share is excerpted from pet care websites. "Oh uninformed dog lover ...."? The height of irony.
See? If there isn't a stigma associated with people who don't do well with dogs, what do you call this? I fail with one member of the animal kingdom, and you now think I'm bad with all of them?

My posts on the Cats forum illustrate a lack of knowledge about the animal? How so? No, I really want to know. Please enlighten me.

I've explained here that I'm quite uninformed about dog ownership and have had many bad experiences trying to raise puppies. (Most of it was from childhood when I wanted a puppy, my parents gave in, but offered no guidance on how to take care of it) I've realized dogs seem to be too much responsibility for me right now and take several caregivers to raise them. The movies that portray little boys and girls picking up puppies and raising them into well-behaved good canine citizens are unrealistic. Puppies are not for kids, and they're also not for poor people. I don't struggle with other animals like I do with dogs, though. I can't think of anything that would frustrate me as much as a dog, except maybe some kind of wild animal, like maybe a monkey. I don't see how having trouble with one type of animal would ever translate to having trouble with other species. I don't know exactly why puppies frustrate me so much, but they do.

As for the "oh uninformed dog lover" comment, that kid, (I'm guessing it was a kid) compared cats to goldfish and said they were boring pets that you can't do anything with. That's just silly. It sounded foolish; I felt a need to correct him / her. I thought I would be a good sport about it and offered to argue the point logically in another place.

Last edited by krmb; 05-02-2015 at 07:38 PM..

Old 05-02-2015, 08:09 PM

Anyway, if we can get back on topic, that might be a good idea.

Let me see, so far I've gotten these suggestions:

Make sure you have a good budget for vet bills before getting any pet. (this rules out dogs, cats, or large exotics right now)

Take the pet to regular vet appointments to make sure it's healthy

If you're getting a dog, make sure you have access to a yard for the animal to run around in. (this rules out dogs for now, because I live in an apartment. In a pet-friendly apartment you can keep your pets confined in a small room while you are at work, but it's not recommended and may enforce very bad habits)

Consult with a professional before caring for and raising the animal (because I do become quite frustrated if I feel like I don't know what I'm doing or something isn't working, and that's the main problem. I feel much more at ease if someone knowledgeable guides me through new processes and is there to answer any questions I have.).

Pay for obedience training, if it's a dog. This is important and can eliminate a lot of behavior issues.

Hire a pet-sitter to come and help out while you are at work, if needed (assuming I have a yard when I get the animal, I shouldn't need a full-time pet-sitter, but it might be a good idea to have someone check on the pet in the afternoons).

Walk the animal regularly.

Make sure you can handle mistakes without stressing out; they happen.

Did I leave anything out?

Last edited by krmb; 05-02-2015 at 08:20 PM..

Old 05-03-2015, 01:54 AM

190 posts, read 283,404 times
Quote:
My posts on the Cats forum illustrate a lack of knowledge about the animal? How so? No, I really want to know. Please enlighten me.
Honey, with all due respect, a brain-dead person on life support can take care of a cat.

Me thinks you should definitely forget about dogs.

I'm outta here.

I'M not a certified psychologist and I don't wanna be one.

So, in my best Arnold Scharzeneger voice:

Asta de vega Baby!!!!

Old 05-03-2015, 05:28 AM

7,980 posts, read 5,328,586 times
I don't have time to read all the responses, so sorry if someone else said this...

It takes a lot of time to train a dog. It does not happen overnight or in a few weeks. It takes months.
My previous Cairn Terrier, it took me weeks to keep an eye on her outside so I could get her to stop digging. It wasn't going to work if I just let her outside and just sometimes corrected her for digging. I had to be consistent.

Just like housebreaking. It takes work and being consistent. If a dog owner works diligently for the first several months you will have a well trained dog.

Same with the chewing. Have to be consistent and be sure to have dog toys. Don't be giving an old shoe, it won't make sense to them why they can chew that shoe and not the other ones.

I used a crate for a few times in the very beginning to keep my dog safe when I had to go out. After eight months she had run of the house.

As a previous poster said, maybe you just need to take up a hobby, having and training a dog might not work for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs