Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2015, 05:38 PM

1,829 posts, read 2,234,864 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
Mutts are so much healthier in general. I've had a ton of mutts and none have had major health issues.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
And You put you Mutt thru all the genic Tests for ALL thos Breeds hes Mixed with? You Proved hes Not Defective? WOW
Whoa, Katie1, put the keyboard down, and nobody has to get hurt...

It was just their opinion formed on their specific anecdotal evidence/experience, and does not represent a scientific finding - nor even, necessarily, an accurate generalization.

Last edited by Tuck's Dad; 05-04-2015 at 05:49 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2015, 06:37 PM

5,094 posts, read 12,583,607 times
People are all different and there is not right or wrong as to when to get a new dog. I myself have always known when I have had a dog that might only have a few months left so have gotten a new dog then.That way the new dog will have known the old one and there is something about that I like. The old ones have always taught a new one something and I always get the feeling when the day comes that I have to say good bye to an old one that they are ready to leave as they know I ( and the other dog as I usually have two dogs) will be OK with the new one.

keep in mind grief is also very different for everyone so do not let any one tell you how to grieve or how long too.

I have said this many times while it breaks my heart to say good bye to a dog , I would be even sadder to have not known all the great dogs that I have known. Every dog has brought something special to my life so yeah the heart break is well worth it.

Old 05-04-2015, 06:48 PM

3,513 posts, read 6,373,551 times
I know how hard it is to lose a beloved dog, especially if it rather sudden and the dog was not old. I lost a Golden Retriever when he was just 22 months old, due to Aortic Stenosis, common in several breeds.

Some people get another right away and for others it may take months or even years before they are willing to take another chance. No one else can tell you what is right for you.

If you are after a specific kind of dog then try a breed specific rescue. If you are not quite sure that you are ready for another consider fostering and see how it goes. Nothing wrong with being a "failed foster" which is what it is called when you decide to adopt a dog that you originally took as a foster.

Do keep in mind that almost all puppy mill dogs are "purebred" and come with AKC registration paper and so many of them have serious genetic health issues. Papers are no guarantee of good health.

Old 05-04-2015, 06:52 PM

4,948 posts, read 18,688,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daylux View Post
Had to put our dog down a week ago. It was very sudden and due to a genetic deficiency. She started to really struggle and the vet said she would only get worse (which she did immediately) so we put her down. I'm still having trouble with it, in spite of making plans to adopt another dog. I'm scared about genetic problems that slowly creep up later and almost feel as if I don't want another dog. However, there is a huge void in our lives because she's gone. She was high spirited, interactive and affectionate, in her prime; the poodle mostly ignores us and was more of a side kick to her crazy antics.

I'm looking at other breeds but they all scare me because of this experience (DH likes the Brittanys, we both like the goldendoodles, but they are crazy expensive and we won't settle for less than AKC registration). I'm willing to settle for a Bichon, or a Beagle, as these seem like safe choices. We are all over the place emotionally. I did write a letter to the animal ER because they were great in handling her diagnosis and being honest with us. That helped with the grieving process. How soon after a loss do you go out and get another one? DH says immediately but i'm dragging.
the australian terrier is a nice dog but needs to come from a breeder who does health testing. I had a Bichon who was healthy til age 14. they do need mega grooming and are a bit hard to housebreak also.

Old 05-04-2015, 07:08 PM

1,961 posts, read 2,251,685 times
Quote:
I will have to look more into the AKC. From my understanding, they have strict rules regarding the health of the dogs and breeding. For instance I thought they were supposed to screen for genetic deficiencies common to the breed in order to be registered? We are new at this and want to do it the right way after this experience. I will research your links.
AKC absolutely does NOT have strict rules about the health of dogs and breeding and any person or website that says so is one to avoid since they are grossly misrepresenting the truth.

All AKC registration means is that the parents of the pup are purebred and thus so is the pup. That's all. Nothing more.

Many people are fooled into thinking they are getting a quality pup because it is AKC registered. Please do not fall into that trap.

I love the AKC. Don't get me wrong. They have lots of fabulous programs for competing with your dog and do some pretty good work supporting canine health research and canine legislation.

What you describe is common in a few of the European countries. Some of them have lots of regulations and requirements for breeding/registration. We have nothing like that here. That's why it is so vitally important that you thoroughly research your potential breeders before buying a puppy.

Old 05-04-2015, 07:20 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,877,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
And You put you Mutt thru all the genic Tests for ALL thos Breeds hes Mixed with? You Proved hes Not Defective? WOW
Because when they have a wider genetic pool, they are less likely to have gentic disordered. Google it

Old 05-04-2015, 07:21 PM

1,961 posts, read 2,251,685 times
Quote:
Had to put our dog down a week ago. It was very sudden and due to a genetic deficiency. She started to really struggle and the vet said she would only get worse (which she did immediately) so we put her down. I'm still having trouble with it, in spite of making plans to adopt another dog. I'm scared about genetic problems that slowly creep up later and almost feel as if I don't want another dog. However, there is a huge void in our lives because she's gone. She was high spirited, interactive and affectionate, in her prime; the poodle mostly ignores us and was more of a side kick to her crazy antics.

I'm looking at other breeds but they all scare me because of this experience (DH likes the Brittanys, we both like the goldendoodles, but they are crazy expensive and we won't settle for less than AKC registration). I'm willing to settle for a Bichon, or a Beagle, as these seem like safe choices. We are all over the place emotionally. I did write a letter to the animal ER because they were great in handling her diagnosis and being honest with us. That helped with the grieving process. How soon after a loss do you go out and get another one? DH says immediately but i'm dragging.
Everyone is different. There is no right or wrong...just what is right for you.

You might want to volunteer at your local shelter for a while. Once you begin to attach to some of the dogs there that might mean you are ready. Ask your DH to give you some time and space on this issue.

Beagles are great dogs. Just can't let them off leash and they will also dig under a fence so need supervision. You've made a really good possible choice and that means you are on the road to finding your new loving companion.

Bichons are nice too. Lots of grooming. Can be challenging to potty train.

I posted this link in another thread...did you see it? It's an excellent resource and the individual breed pros and cons are right on. Dog Breed Reviews: Honest Reviews of 175 Dog Breeds

Old 05-04-2015, 11:20 PM

13,926 posts, read 39,275,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
Because when they have a wider genetic pool, they are less likely to have gentic disordered. Google it

Not Exactly true Just means they have MORE of a chance for Genic Problems! I know mutts to have Hip Problems Blindness Seizures, etc

OP Didn't ask about Mutts s/he said they Only want AKC dog! Your remarks have Nothing to do wit the Topic of this thread.

Old 05-04-2015, 11:32 PM

13,926 posts, read 39,275,326 times
OP "I'm willing to settle for a Bichon, or a Beagle"

I been around Both But would not own them! Bichon have Knee problems & need Lots of regular Grooming! Beagles are Very healthy at least the Hunting stock I been around ... I Love the little ones! Don't even think of getting one IF you have Close neighbors they BAY & Howl a LOT They also like to dig & climb fences! O you need to be careful IF they are not hunting they can gain weight like crazy! I had friends that Jog their beagles are fit & trim so IF you jog they make great buddy.

Old 05-05-2015, 03:41 AM

10,016 posts, read 12,572,543 times
So sorry for the loss of your beloved pet!!

My wife and I have always found that getting a new pup after the loss of one of our dogs is the best way to go. Of course that's a personal preference and might not be for everyone.

I would like to point out that "doodles" are not a breed and neither are any other cross bred animals. We are CKC registered standard and moyan poodle breeders and have much experience with puppy buyers. The "Puppy buyer is generally the dumbest consumer there is. They don't do their homework, they don't generally ask the right questions and very often they end up with the wrong breed for their needs and requirements. Why do you think there are so many dogs available from breed specific rescue groups. Now, the smart puppy buyer knows exactly what he needs in a breed and his new puppy will have nearly the exact character that the breed is noted for. I have had several breeds of dogs over the decades and my dogs have been pretty much exactly true to form both in character and in conformation. If I had someone like the OP looking at a puppy I would most likely not sell him one. He seems to have no idea what he wants in a dog. Not in type, size character or anything else. I have purchased puppies from breeders that required you to pass a test before they would even consider you as a buyer. I have an application of several pages in length that I require before I even allow a visit. There are many really good dog breeders out there. When you decide to get a puppy find one and listen to them!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs