Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2015, 02:12 PM

3,513 posts, read 6,375,680 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by don6170 View Post
Is there a way for those of us that don't "do" FaceBook can join/participate ?
Yes, there is. Go to Yahoo Groups and search for the name of the nearest interstate to you followed by the words animal rescue transport, ie I-81 Animal Rescue Transport. There are Yahoo groups for every major and many secondary interstates and transports happen every weekend all over the country, even if it's Christmas eve and Christmas day. You do have to "join" the group so that you can read the requests and some coordinators may ask you to provide a reference or two (usually your vet) to make sure you are legit.
Be sure to choose the "daily digest" option or you will get an individual email for every request in your inbox.

It does help if you have some crates and you might check with a local rescue group to see if they send dogs on transport. Freecycle and Craigslist might be a source to get free or low cost crates, especially if you explain what you will be using them for. Young pups, under the age of 4 months often come with a crate that gets handed off from driver to driver.

If you can possibly keep some dogs overnight (if you happen to live somewhere around the half way point of a transport) that is a critical need and often times the transport coordinators try to get that arranged first because without it the rest of the trip can't happen.

The biggest transport that I ever participated in had 22 dogs and required 4 to 6 drivers for each leg. I overnighted 6 for that one and at the time I had 6 dogs of my own, 4 adults in foster care and a litter of 10 young puppies so for a few brief hours I had 26 dogs in my care. My own 6 and the 10 pups were in the house and the other 10 dogs in outside runs.

Hand offs of the dogs and the paperwork are generally just off the interstate, often in the parking lot of a fast food restaurant.

If you itemize your tax deductions you can claim your mileage but it is only 14 cents a mile for volunteer work not the amount that one can claim for business.

I did enough transports that I kept a small gym bag with the following: roll of paper towels, poop bags, rubber gloves, water bowl, spare leashes, newspaper to line crates with, small garbage bag, hand sanitizer and puppy wipes.

It's very rewarding and fun. Also somewhat addicting when you realize that a couple of hours of your time can make all the difference in the loves of several dogs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2015, 02:42 PM

30,516 posts, read 16,213,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by latetotheparty View Post
LOL .... I transport for a group out of Southern Illinois.... my friend also happens to be the Animal Control Officer for two of the little towns in that area.....

She and I met at a park in a 3rd little Southern Illinois town so I could get my passengers from her.... She in her ACO van, me in my little Soul with Missouri plates... and we caught the eye of the local constabulary who came over to make sure all was on the up and up.... We didn't even notice him until he had walked all the way over to us and he startled us, which in turn startled the already nervous pup we were trying to get in her kennel in my car.... both of us wound up with nips and an apologetic police officer....

I can only IMAGINE what handoffs look like to the uninitiated!!
He shouldn't have to apologize for checking. I think it's great that he did.

I transported a load of kitties once. Literally. My big Jeep was loaded with cat carriers-some had 2 cats in them. They were being rescued from a cat rescue. Everything ran late because when push came to shove, the woman in charge of the non-rescue changed her mind at the last minute. Whoever was at that end did some sweet talking but it took time and put everyone behind.

That was a few years ago. I hope they all found good homes, or at least a good rescue group.

Old 05-13-2015, 03:31 PM

9,352 posts, read 20,027,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAhippo View Post
He shouldn't have to apologize for checking. I think it's great that he did.

I transported a load of kitties once. Literally. My big Jeep was loaded with cat carriers-some had 2 cats in them. They were being rescued from a cat rescue. Everything ran late because when push came to shove, the woman in charge of the non-rescue changed her mind at the last minute. Whoever was at that end did some sweet talking but it took time and put everyone behind.

That was a few years ago. I hope they all found good homes, or at least a good rescue group.

Oh, I ABSOLUTELY agree.... there are too many folks up to no good AT ALL, especially as concerns dogs, in our neck of the woods..... I think he felt bad that we both got a nip....

I bet that was QUITE the noisy transport.... most kitties are not crazy about riding in cars and like to let you know about it!!

Old 05-13-2015, 08:46 PM

6,497 posts, read 11,813,321 times
It's been quite a few years, but I did them for a little while. I'm in so cal, so I would drive to San Diego, Barstow, Victorville, Santa Clarita. Bring a friend with me and we'd have a good meal somewhere before turning around to go home. They were fun. I kept a few overnight, also, sometimes for several days when a leg fell through and had to be filled later.

Maybe I'll start again.

Old 05-14-2015, 01:21 AM

30,516 posts, read 16,213,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by latetotheparty View Post
Oh, I ABSOLUTELY agree.... there are too many folks up to no good AT ALL, especially as concerns dogs, in our neck of the woods..... I think he felt bad that we both got a nip....

I bet that was QUITE the noisy transport.... most kitties are not crazy about riding in cars and like to let you know about it!!
It was even noisier when I started singing (and I use the term loosely ).

My trip was about a 4 hr drive. I had to keep my sanity somehow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs