Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2015, 02:44 PM

20,123 posts, read 16,142,906 times

Advertisements

My big dog loves other dogs, plays with them any chance he gets. His tail starts moving on overtime whenever he even sees another dog. My small dog, on the other hand, only tolerates my big dog and cats, she acts like other dogs and children are demons from the nether regions and snarls, along with showing her little barracuda teeth, when one approaches her. She wouldn't like a dog park, so I don't take her to one. Dogs are no different than people, they all have individual personalities.

Old 05-20-2015, 03:24 PM

17,400 posts, read 11,966,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 02blackgt View Post
I'm sorry if anyone interpreted wrong, I really not trying to complain. I just find it odd she won't look at or even smell another dog. Growing up I always had your "standard" dog type so I have never experienced this before and was wondering if it's common. We love her death so I guess she will continue to have only 2 friends!!!
Not uncommon. I compete in a dog sport with my small dog, and in 7 years she's approached not 1 dog to sniff. Playing is out of the question. And she comes in contact with hundreds of dogs every weekend.

She's just not that into other dogs.

My other dog, a male, is just the opposite. He's convinced everyone is his best friend.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2015, 08:47 AM

2,432 posts, read 2,688,785 times
Some are like this, my parents dog was a rescue and could care less about other dogs. Hes kind of uppity haha but he isnt aggressive either. Some are more shy or they were not raised around other animals. Even my dog looses interest fast when socializing. Wouldnt worry about it, just keep trying to socialize some.

Old 05-21-2015, 09:50 PM

483 posts, read 654,684 times
She is fine. Our beagle mix is very similar to this.
She has to have just the right spot, but if I get up she'll come with me etc. She doesn't do it to my husband(but I had her before I was married). She's pretty darn indifferent to other dogs. She is there to sniff around not play when we go to dog park. Very rarely she will find a dog she wants to play with, but even then its only for a few minutes.
A stark contrast to our bigger one who lives to play with other dogs; big, small, young, wet, old you name it.

Shes not fearful or aggressive, so I'd let her be.

Some dogs need dog park time, some don't. No reason to force it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs