Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2015, 02:17 PM

483 posts, read 650,956 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
We feed them separate from the other but thank you. And she does know remember I said she is SMART!

It will most likely cause problems later, you were given very spot on advice about moving all food away from her bed. It does not matter if you feed them separately or who's food it is. If she decided one day it is HER food, it will all be over.

If she starts resource guarding and going after the other when they are just trying to get their own food, you know she could seriously hurt them.

I could offer advice on leash aggression, we had a rescue dog who suffered from it until just a few months ago, but you need to show you are serious about wanting to train her right, and by denying that she could develop resource guarding you are showing you aren't all that serious IMO

Good luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2015, 04:54 AM

17,720 posts, read 13,442,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaelti12 View Post
I could offer advice on leash aggression, we had a rescue dog who suffered from it until just a few months ago, but you need to show you are serious about wanting to train her right, and by denying that she could develop resource guarding you are showing you aren't all that serious IMO

Good luck.

Um ok....Last time I post here. It seem that no one REALLY reads the entire post but that's not a surprise.

Old 06-16-2015, 08:25 AM

483 posts, read 650,956 times
Quote:
Um ok....Last time I post here. It seem that no one REALLY reads the entire post but that's not a surprise.
Oh no, I read the whole thing. You have a new dog, she clearly has an issue, leash aggression, don't let her develop more.
If you aren't willing to remove the food bowl from beside her bed, something that will take seconds, I have little reason to believe you will devote the weeks, even months to working out leash aggression.

You are setting your dog up to fail. Dogs can, and sometimes will, start resource guarding around their "spot" (in this case her bed. And then you will have another issue to work out. Why take a risk for something that takes seconds to move?

Do your dog! a favor and remove that food bowl from her space.

Old 06-16-2015, 12:01 PM

457 posts, read 886,440 times
Quote:
This is Ellie & we adopted her last week She's a lab mix & VERY smart! VERY! She knows most commands & LOVES to talk! However she is leash aggressive towards other dogs who are also on a leash. We also have a 13 year old who isn't able to go on hikes with us anymore because of her age a 10-15 mile hike is too much for her these days. Ellie is 2 years & loves to get out. We are taking this slow & won't take her out too much on the trails until we deal with this. But we do walk her out close to the house & down the street. We have heard that food works great but she knows that a dog is coming down the trail even before we could get a treat out of our pockets. When we brought her home we had let her meet the older dog in the front yard & Daisy (the older dog) had no leash on. Ellie got a little excited but we walked her next to Daisy while she sniffed & did her thing. Now Ellie can walk with Daisy while she's on a leash & it's no big deal.

Any ideas besides food?
Highly recommend the book by Patricia McConnell, Feisty Fido. It's a GREAT tool....geared specifically towards leash reactive dogs. She also uses all positive training methods. It might do you some good to also book a private consultation with a trainer. Find someone that will come to you, and will work with you one on one with your training techniques.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs