Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2015, 02:14 PM

457 posts, read 889,271 times

Advertisements

Everyone meet Brutus Beefcake a.k.a. Brutie Bru or Bru HaHa! He is my current foster dog. I've had him in my home with me for just over a year. He's been a fun one, to say the least. I have three personal dogs, two of which don't do well with other dogs. He came to me, with some pretty serious dog aggression issues, and in - not so great - condition.

He had ZERO manners, and was WIDE OPEN.......ALL THE TIME! I'm talking....WILD CHILD! When he first came, I kept saying "I can't wait for this dog to leave!" I've fostered plenty of dogs, so it's nothing new to me that they usually have some sort of issue of one kind or another. I just wasn't sure that either of us would survive his time in my home.

Over the past year, I've put in A LOT of love, dedication, training, blood (yes!), sweat, and tears with this boy. Even pulled out some chunks of my hair along the way. During that time....I somehow let myself get attached to the goober. From battling behavior issues, allergy issues, and most recently, ACL surgery and recovery - he has tested every ounce of my being and pushed my patience to the outermost limits.

I LOVE HIM!!!! He has become my very best foster buddy, and is an absolute joy to be around. He's such a happy and fun dog...and has turned himself around almost a full 360 degrees. He's a different dog than the one I brought home with him. Being that he's not dog friendly, I just knew that I'd have him forever. I had come to terms with that, and even knowing that he wasn't getting ALL that he needs, I was happy to keep him.

Well....the time has finally come, and I'm sitting here crying like a little baby. He finally got an application with a suitable family. I've talked to the adopter several times about him, and they are totally ok with his many little idiosyn"crazies."

Sunday....I will be transporting him almost three hours away - to his hopefully forever home. This is such a bitter sweet moment for me, and letting him go will break my heart. But I know he's going to be better off, and will grow to be even more happy that what he is now. It's hard, and it sucks, but this is what we've worked so hard and so long for. He is THAT DOG. The one that I'm forced to set free, no matter how much I'd love to keep him forever! Bidding Brutie my farewells.....and preparing for the next doggie chapter in my life! Man....I really do love this dude!

Here's his intake pic:

And this is him now:

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2015, 02:35 PM

1,599 posts, read 1,807,522 times
He is so handsome!

We foster too. The longest we've had a dog has been about three months though. We just got a new one last night and he is going to need to learn some manners (hello personal space!), but he is smart!

As hard as it is to say goodbye, seeing them flourish in their furever homes and knowing they are ALIVE because of you makes it all worth it!

Old 06-16-2015, 02:35 PM

4,286 posts, read 4,756,882 times
THANK YOU so much for all the hard work that you've put into this beautiful boy. Congratulations on finding his forever home.

Old 06-16-2015, 02:49 PM

30,488 posts, read 16,198,344 times
oh, KittKat-the more work they are, the more it hurts to say goodby.

But look at that last photo. It just looks to me like he's saying 'Yo! Thanks but it's time for me to leave!'

Old 06-16-2015, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennies4Penny View Post
He is so handsome!

We foster too. The longest we've had a dog has been about three months though. We just got a new one last night and he is going to need to learn some manners (hello personal space!), but he is smart!

As hard as it is to say goodbye, seeing them flourish in their furever homes and knowing they are ALIVE because of you makes it all worth it!
Haha!! The personal space issue!! That's always fun!! I remember the first day I brought him home. I went outside and was sitting on the top of the steps. He came CHARGING up behind him and jumped on my head (from behind) and wrapped his legs around my face!! Lol....That's when I knew I was in trouble! lol

He's much better now. Still has some personal space issues, but nothing like before, thank goodness. He just likes to be close to his people.

All the crazy we endure for our fosters, is definitely worth the end result. It's good for the soul!

Old 06-16-2015, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAhippo View Post
oh, KittKat-the more work they are, the more it hurts to say goodby.

But look at that last photo. It just looks to me like he's saying 'Yo! Thanks but it's time for me to leave!'

I know! The easy ones are easy to set free. Maybe it's because they normally don't stay with us so long, or because they don't take every ounce of our being during their stay with us. There really is something about this boy that makes my heart ache that he's leaving me, but I'm also full of happy smiles and happy tears that he's finally getting a family that will love him...not more than I do - but still.

Old 06-16-2015, 03:29 PM

454 posts, read 495,262 times
Awwwwww. He's gorgeous. Thank you for not giving up on him and making him a gentleman!

I hope his new family loves him as much as you obviously do.

<3

Old 06-16-2015, 04:58 PM
ZSP

1,765 posts, read 5,118,385 times
What a great story...and thank you for all the hard work in helping Brutus become the good boy he was always meant to be.

I foster for two different breed specific rescues and yes...it's so hard to let them go. But that is the gift. I can read how proud you are of Brutus and everything you've done has set him up to be a successful placement. Gosh, i can't stop looking at his face. He is uber handsome.

Good luck Brutus...I wish you a lifetime of happiness in your new forever home.

Old 06-16-2015, 06:15 PM

1,727 posts, read 1,986,592 times
Kittkat, I know how hard it is to say goodbye, no matter that we know right up front that our fosters are just passing through. Looking at that intake photo and the recent photos, you have clearly put a lot of love and work into Brutus, and he is going to pass that on to his new family. You and Brutus have both done good work together. Thank you!

Old 06-17-2015, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZSP View Post
What a great story...and thank you for all the hard work in helping Brutus become the good boy he was always meant to be.

I foster for two different breed specific rescues and yes...it's so hard to let them go. But that is the gift. I can read how proud you are of Brutus and everything you've done has set him up to be a successful placement. Gosh, i can't stop looking at his face. He is uber handsome.

Good luck Brutus...I wish you a lifetime of happiness in your new forever home.

I am SO VERY proud of him!! I always keep bits of my fosters in my heart, but this guy is practically taking up the whole space, lol! He IS very handsome, and has a TON of personality to go along with it. I'm so glad that I got to be a part of his journey!

I still can't believe that he first came to me, I wanted him GONE! lol

Now that the time is here.....I don't want to let go!

Just have to keep telling myself that if he stays, I can't continue fostering - AND - that even with as much as I've given him, my home is not the right place for him, and he deserves so much happiness - that he doesn't even know that he's missing!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs