Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2008, 12:49 PM

485 posts, read 1,953,069 times

Advertisements

Try an American Bulldog, instead-sounder genetics.

The English Bulldog is a revived breed, and fairly recent-it was bred for conformation and disposition, not for health.

Time will set this right, good breeders can do wonders-there are Great Danes living to see 17, because breeders concentrated on the short lifespan of the breed.

In the meantime, do give another bully breed a chance?

The English Bull Terrier has a few genetic issues too, but it's a companionable breed, and like the Staffordshire, Amstaff and American Pit Bull, a cheerful beast, loyal unto death.

They share the same gene pool, having been bred out of similar animals in years gone by.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2008, 02:16 PM

8,064 posts, read 18,007,051 times
No, I'm afraid for someone who is an English bulldog fancier, the dogs you mentioned are not a comparable substitute. The personalities and activity levels couldn't be more different. English bulldogs aren't keen on exercise, don't bark very often, and are avid couch potatoes. That, and their appearance, is what endears people to them. They make good apartment dogs.

Old 06-18-2008, 04:22 PM

797 posts, read 2,991,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teatime View Post
I LOVE English bulldogs and ....Alas, I don't know if I will own another bulldog, though. ....Since I live in a place where it gets VERY hot in the summer, I'm not sure it would be wise for me to own another bulldog ......That said, they are the VERY best pals a person can have! I have a Yorkie, two collies and a Weimaraner and I love them to bits but I STILL get wistful about my bulldogs and wish I had one. There's just nothing quite like them!

So sorry to read about your losses, it is heartbreaking. You seem to have a housefull of pets already however since you LOVE bulldogs so much I reccommend you reconsider getting an Olde English Bulldogge when you ready. We live in San Antonio and have 2 pugs along with the OEB. The pugs are very sensitve to the heat but the OEB is bred to be more tolerant of it. She is a joy and has every one of the personality traits you come to find in an english bulldog. The OEB is suppose to be an improved version of the english bulldog, having fewer health issues. It is a combination of (50%) English, and (16%)Mastiff, (16%)American, and (16%)Pitbull. Unfortunately ours does have the hip problems and even though she has a very elongated pallet and snores she is tolerating playing outdoors very well. Originally we wanted an english but because of cost and health concerns we came upon the OEB. Here are some recent pics of our Beli...

Her hips aren't great but that doesn't stop her from standing on her tippy toes as often as possible.

Can't help but smile when you see her.

The girls were kept comfortably cool at the beach.

This is Beli and her buddy Meaty (english bulldog), they graduated from puppy training together and were born one day a part.

Last edited by noplacelikeWA; 06-18-2008 at 04:34 PM..

Old 06-18-2008, 07:58 PM

Oddly enough, you may like a greyhound.

They're lazy beasts, rarely bark, and don't drool.

They also have hips like a cart-horse(dysplasia is unknown in the breed)and if you keep their teeth clean, very few health problems.

Long lived and well disposed as a rule, the greyhound is a fine pet.

They also like to clown a bit, and they love to snuggle.

Old 06-21-2008, 10:16 PM

475 posts, read 1,304,774 times
I have a greyhound and an english bulldog. There are several differences other that their obvious shape. One is their need for companionship. My greyhound does not require alot of attention, he prefers to be in his own room away from any noise sleeping. Our bulldog on the other hand wants to be right in the middle of everything and usually is.

Neither one is particularly active and they are both lazy as all.

Our greyhound is very sensitive and you only need to tell him something once and he gets it and always listens. Our bulldog is very stubborn and is sometimes like talking to a brick wall.

Our bulldog has 10 times more personality then our greyhound will ever have. Our bulldog is comical and makes faces and just over all displays alot more to her then our greyhound does.

Both fart, but the bulldog fart is by far the WORST!

Old 06-22-2008, 08:10 AM

I owned two greyhounds-both were fun, loving dogs who snuggled and vamped for attention constantly.

Dogs are individuals.

Old 06-22-2008, 11:56 AM

8,064 posts, read 18,007,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noplacelikeWA View Post
So sorry to read about your losses, it is heartbreaking. You seem to have a housefull of pets already however since you LOVE bulldogs so much I reccommend you reconsider getting an Olde English Bulldogge when you ready. We live in San Antonio and have 2 pugs along with the OEB. The pugs are very sensitve to the heat but the OEB is bred to be more tolerant of it. She is a joy and has every one of the personality traits you come to find in an english bulldog. The OEB is suppose to be an improved version of the english bulldog, having fewer health issues. It is a combination of (50%) English, and (16%)Mastiff, (16%)American, and (16%)Pitbull. Unfortunately ours does have the hip problems and even though she has a very elongated pallet and snores she is tolerating playing outdoors very well. Originally we wanted an english but because of cost and health concerns we came upon the OEB. Here are some recent pics of our Beli...

Her hips aren't great but that doesn't stop her from standing on her tippy toes as often as possible.

Can't help but smile when you see her.

The girls were kept comfortably cool at the beach.

This is Beli and her buddy Meaty (english bulldog), they graduated from puppy training together and were born one day a part.
Awwwwww, GREAT pics!!!!! Your dogs are beautiful! Thank you for posting!!!!

Yes, indeed, I have been considering an Olde English Bulldogge! A gentleman here casually breeds OEB/EB crosses and I was in touch with him late last year. By casually, I mean that he doesn't do it for profit or as a regular thing. He only plans a litter infrequently when people he knows and has screened want a pup. He doesn't charge much for the pups, either, but takes time getting to know inquirers to ensure the pups would go to good homes.

He only had two males he was selling last year and I really wanted a female. Also, I wasn't quite sure I wanted a puppy. I was hoping to find an adult dog to adopt as they're the ones in need of good, bulldog-savvy homes. But you reminded me that I should give the gentleman a call again and see if he has any young/adult dogs in need of a home.

Old 06-23-2008, 02:49 PM

The Olde English Dogge has ye funniye lookinge ears!

Hope nobody crops them, a dogs ears are very tender, and a cut ear hurts like the very devil! (Speaking from experience!)

Doggies, gotta love 'em!

Old 08-26-2008, 06:48 PM

1 posts, read 6,238 times
Hi,
I just wanted to let you know that english bulldogs make great pets! My family and I own a kennel and we absolutely love it! Moderator cut: editOur dogs are great with children, my lil brother is 10 and we have never had one to bite or have bad temperment. These are the sweetest dogs! Moderator cut: edit

Last edited by Sam I Am; 08-26-2008 at 07:58 PM.. Reason: NO advertising is allowed on City Data

Old 08-27-2008, 05:06 PM

8,309 posts, read 38,772,371 times
I got to know an English Bulldog in college. He was sweet and always good for a laugh, but he was as stubborn as a mule.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs