Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2008, 10:19 PM

1,310 posts, read 6,557,787 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by riveree View Post
Wow, you're not in a fun spot.

First off, yay Serg for thinking on your feet like that! There must have been a lot racing through your mind at that moment, and I'm glad you kept your cool and played it like you did.

(I'm talking directly to Serg above because I assume you'll be reading him the responses...)

I don't know if you need to make multiple reports - in fact, I would not do so since the other people would be falsifying their report (they had no direct knowledge as you did). No need to trump it up, just lay out the facts to the police and explain your serious concerns about your own safety.

Usually, people like this suspect the neighbors in the immediate vicinity, not the guy down the block and around the corner, so chances are they won't put two and two together.

Also, even if you called the police right now, they're not going to roll into that house tonite, the police need to substantiate your claim somehow, maybe get a warrant, etc., so it's going to take some time from your initial complaint until any action can take place.

Don't keep driving by his house, hang back for a bit, let the memory of you, your husband and your dogs fade into memory. Walk your dogs a different way, or even skip walking for a few nights.

What I would be very nervous about is the possibility of them trying to steal your dogs as bait. It's horrible to think about, but you know it happens. Please, please lock your fence gates, keep all your doors and windows locked and check your locks, see if they need reinforcement. I'd also try to appear home at all times, keep my blinds down, limit unnecessary trips away from the house, just be on guard in general.

You're doing the right thing. I have no doubt this idiot is fighting dogs since he came right out and said so (who says such things??).

I'm sure you'll keep us posted.
Geez, PBM, you are a magnet for pitbull things! Since I've known you, you have delt with attacks, bad breeders, abuse, and now dogfighting in your area to report??? You are destined to be a pitties angel, that's for sure!!! A little good humor here, so don't take offense darlin. Good Grief, at this rate, you will know everything there is to know about pitties for a pittie rescue, LOL!

I agree with everything above: the reporting, stay away, walk the dogs the other way, keep them on super safe lockdown, etc!!!!!!

Keep us posted! TAke care of Jayda, destiny, and brook!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2008, 10:22 PM

4,231 posts, read 15,424,202 times
Another thought, can you get your home burglar alarm proofed? Even the signs may discourage them, if they're interested in your dog(s). I commend you for doing the right thing but please be extra careful, dont leave them outside unattended and walk them at different times during the day so no one can discern a pattern of when you're home and not home. Best of luck -

Old 01-23-2008, 05:15 AM

13,163 posts, read 1,695,729 times
regarding noise and dog fighting - in newspaper article about a dog fighting operation that was cracked here last year it stated that most people don't know it's going on because the sites are usually remote, in the woods, off the beaten track, and that these dogs don't make a lot of noise when fighting. I was surprised at that.

We should all follow the advice given about taking care of our dogs, whatever the breed, because dogs are stolen out of yards (even fenced yards) and from homes all the time. They could be used for bait, or they are sold to research laboratories. It doesn't matter what breed you have. Don't leave it outside without keeping an eye on it.

And Pittbullmommie - kudos to you! I have the greatest respect for you. You don't just talk it, you walk it.

Old 01-23-2008, 05:15 AM

3,493 posts, read 7,934,927 times
If the guy was that free with the information to your husband, he is probably stupid enough to have shared it with lots of people. I would report it to the police soon - like in the next couple of days. Make sure they know your concerns about privacy and security. I'm sure this is scary, but you are doing the right thing.

Old 01-23-2008, 11:08 AM

8,200 posts, read 35,458,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post
regarding noise and dog fighting - in newspaper article about a dog fighting operation that was cracked here last year it stated that most people don't know it's going on because the sites are usually remote, in the woods, off the beaten track, and that these dogs don't make a lot of noise when fighting. I was surprised at that.
That's true - Pits are not very vocal when fighting, even when playing rough they can be silent, which is one of their traits that is different from other dogs.

PitBullMommie is in Palm Coast, FL and I am in Jacksonville. In between the two cities is a small city called Palatka where dog fighting happens not only in houses just off the main drag, but on the street corners as well (makeshift rings right on the street). So it can truly happen anywhere right under our noses.

Old 01-23-2008, 11:09 AM

13,927 posts, read 39,297,259 times
Skip the local police...contact the FEDS!! If he is an undercover cop they would know...Waiting too long might give them the inpression the you & your friends fight, so dont wait too long!!

Old 01-23-2008, 11:13 AM

1,408 posts, read 8,022,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PitBullMommie1206 View Post
I think I'm going to go ahead and report it, but I'm also going to have several other people do the same. That way the police can say that they got several anonymous tips, so hopefully the guy won't automatically think it was us. I'm also going to ask if they could possibly keep up updated somehow on what is going on. That way, if they don't take action soon, I will know that I need to try to get some evidence. I'm not going to really get involved with this because I'm already concerned for our safety, but I will drive by there every now and then, or have friends and family drive by there every now and then, just to see if there are ever several cars parked at his house, and if so how often. Or if there are a lot of dogs constantly barking, if we see any hurt dogs, etc. There is no way I'm going to let this go until something is done!
pitbullmommie I would report it immediately and I agree having several people report it will throw this guy off. Honestly if the guy was that dumb to give your hubby all his information AFTER he said you rescue I can't imagine him figuring out who reported him. Doesn't sound like his lightbulb is on. good luck.

Old 01-23-2008, 11:15 AM

1,310 posts, read 6,557,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by surfingatwork View Post
pitbullmommie I would report it immediately and I agree having several people report it will throw this guy off. Honestly if the guy was that dumb to give your hubby all his information AFTER he said you rescue I can't imagine him figuring out who reported him. Doesn't sound like his lightbulb is on. good luck.
Let's hope his lightbulb stays off until long after the authorities get him and save those dogs.

Old 01-23-2008, 11:35 AM

7,599 posts, read 18,409,197 times
Firstly, lock your dogs up, dont leave them outside on a run on their own. He has shown some fancy in your dog and it wont be anything to take it. Whethre they fight or not is irrelevant, they will make "great" bait dogs.

Secondly, remember, where there are fights there are firearms and drugs. Is there a fed or local freefone that you can leave tips anonymously ? Yours and Serg's and then the dogs safety need to be #1.

Do report it though, just figure out which is the safest way to do it. DOnt walk by his house, with or without the dogs. The last thing you want is attention from them. And then when (if) they do get busted you will be labeled by the neighbors to be "one of them" because they saw you near the property.

Good luck!

Old 01-23-2008, 11:51 AM

2,238 posts, read 9,756,657 times
Unless her dog has fighting scars, an undercover cop isn't going to think they're fighting their dogs -- cops who sniff out these type of things aren't that oblivious. I think you're making more of this than you need to. Report it and move on, and don't leave your dogs outside unsupervised. Simple as that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs