Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2008, 06:59 PM

1,930 posts, read 10,173,078 times

Advertisements

My husband, Serg, just got back from walking our male APBT, Brooklyn, and he told me that two guys that were driving by saw him and Brooklyn and stopped to talk to him. He said that the one of the guys told him that Brooklyn was a really good looking Pit and he asked if my husband fought dogs. My husband told him no and said that we rescue them. At this point Serg just wanted to walk away, but then the guy said that he owns 8 Pits right now and he fights them! He said that he loves to fight dogs and told Serg that he should bring Brooklyn one day! So Serg was like okay, where do you live? And the dumb a** guy actually told him!

So, we have this guys address, his license plate number and we know all of the cars that are at his house (we just drove by there). We will be reporting this to animal services, the police and whoever else we need to, but my question is, if you were in our position, when would you report this? This guy lives a few streets over from us, and he knows where we live (he stopped to talk to Serg as he was walking down our driveway). If we report this and something is done about it, who knows what could happen to us! Part of me thinks we should wait a week or so to report it, just so it won't be as obvious that it was us, but I won't be able to sleep at night knowing that these dogs are going through that and not do anything about it! I can't even believe that just happened! I'm in shock right now! Also, do you think anything will, or even can, be done about this? We don't really have any proof, all we know is what that guy told us. This is going to eat me up! I feel sick!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2008, 07:35 PM

2,679 posts, read 11,735,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PitBullMommie1206 View Post
My husband, Serg, just got back from walking our male APBT, Brooklyn, and he told me that two guys that were driving by saw him and Brooklyn and stopped to talk to him. He said that the one of the guys told him that Brooklyn was a really good looking Pit and he asked if my husband fought dogs. My husband told him no and said that we rescue them. At this point Serg just wanted to walk away, but then the guy said that he owns 8 Pits right now and he fights them! He said that he loves to fight dogs and told Serg that he should bring Brooklyn one day! So Serg was like okay, where do you live? And the dumb a** guy actually told him!

So, we have this guys address, his license plate number and we know all of the cars that are at his house (we just drove by there). We will be reporting this to animal services, the police and whoever else we need to, but my question is, if you were in our position, when would you report this? This guy lives a few streets over from us, and he knows where we live (he stopped to talk to Serg as he was walking down our driveway). If we report this and something is done about it, who knows what could happen to us! Part of me thinks we should wait a week or so to report it, just so it won't be as obvious that it was us, but I won't be able to sleep at night knowing that these dogs are going through that and not do anything about it! I can't even believe that just happened! I'm in shock right now! Also, do you think anything will, or even can, be done about this? We don't really have any proof, all we know is what that guy told us. This is going to eat me up! I feel sick!
That is aweful. The fact that they know where you live could be dangerous and even a liability since he may have actually written the information down (implicating you somehow).

Did your husband write down the information and hand it to him?

When are you moving away?

I would say wait a few weeks. I hope he didn't program your information on his cellular phone.

Old 01-22-2008, 07:44 PM

1,257 posts, read 4,575,778 times
Yes, you should wait for a few weeks. Report to proper authorities but try not to give too many details. The police needs to do their own investigation. They can't enter that home without any good evidence. Hopeful, they won’t need your help for the good evidence.

Old 01-22-2008, 07:48 PM

3,567 posts, read 3,736,026 times
Oh, wow. Good luck.

Old 01-22-2008, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by titaniummd View Post
That is aweful. The fact that they know where you live could be dangerous and even a liability since he may have actually written the information down (implicating you somehow).

Did your husband write down the information and hand it to him?

When are you moving away?

I would say wait a few weeks. I hope he didn't program your information on his cellular phone.
No, my husband didn't give him any of our info, he doesn't even know our names. He saw my husband walking down our driveway, so I'm sure he knows where we live, but that's it. He probably doesn't even know I exist, unless he saw my husband's wedding band. I'm sorry if what I wrote was confusing , to clarify, the guy doesn't have any of our info, but my husband did act like he was interested in order to get that guy's info so we could report him.

Old 01-22-2008, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LingLing View Post
Yes, you should wait for a few weeks. Report to proper authorities but try not to give too many details. The police needs to do their own investigation. They can't enter that home without any good evidence. Hopeful, they won’t need your help for the good evidence.
I think I'm going to go ahead and report it, but I'm also going to have several other people do the same. That way the police can say that they got several anonymous tips, so hopefully the guy won't automatically think it was us. I'm also going to ask if they could possibly keep up updated somehow on what is going on. That way, if they don't take action soon, I will know that I need to try to get some evidence. I'm not going to really get involved with this because I'm already concerned for our safety, but I will drive by there every now and then, or have friends and family drive by there every now and then, just to see if there are ever several cars parked at his house, and if so how often. Or if there are a lot of dogs constantly barking, if we see any hurt dogs, etc. There is no way I'm going to let this go until something is done!

Old 01-22-2008, 08:12 PM

3,567 posts, read 3,736,026 times
good girl - several reports, clever.

Old 01-22-2008, 08:18 PM

1,343 posts, read 5,169,323 times
Default Owners?

See what I mean?

Old 01-22-2008, 09:28 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,458,139 times
Wow, you're not in a fun spot.

First off, yay Serg for thinking on your feet like that! There must have been a lot racing through your mind at that moment, and I'm glad you kept your cool and played it like you did.

(I'm talking directly to Serg above because I assume you'll be reading him the responses...)

I don't know if you need to make multiple reports - in fact, I would not do so since the other people would be falsifying their report (they had no direct knowledge as you did). No need to trump it up, just lay out the facts to the police and explain your serious concerns about your own safety.

Usually, people like this suspect the neighbors in the immediate vicinity, not the guy down the block and around the corner, so chances are they won't put two and two together.

Also, even if you called the police right now, they're not going to roll into that house tonite, the police need to substantiate your claim somehow, maybe get a warrant, etc., so it's going to take some time from your initial complaint until any action can take place.

Don't keep driving by his house, hang back for a bit, let the memory of you, your husband and your dogs fade into memory. Walk your dogs a different way, or even skip walking for a few nights.

What I would be very nervous about is the possibility of them trying to steal your dogs as bait. It's horrible to think about, but you know it happens. Please, please lock your fence gates, keep all your doors and windows locked and check your locks, see if they need reinforcement. I'd also try to appear home at all times, keep my blinds down, limit unnecessary trips away from the house, just be on guard in general.

You're doing the right thing. I have no doubt this idiot is fighting dogs since he came right out and said so (who says such things??).

I'm sure you'll keep us posted.

Old 01-22-2008, 10:03 PM

1,587 posts, read 7,526,666 times
Guy must be a idiot saying right out fights em, unless was a undercover trying to see if you knew of a dog fighting area? I would report it if not to police to animal control so they can go in see if has pits or anything resembling a fight ring. I would watch the dogs like rivereesaid in case are out looking for bait dogs. Being right in town not think fight em right there unless a soundproof basement. To many neighbors get annoyed with loud noisy dogs.

Try baiting and have someone take dog walking near neighborhood with another not brooklyn that knows what car is and see if approached again. Have a tape recorder on so can hear statements if would happen again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs