Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2015, 12:49 PM

2,080 posts, read 1,605,322 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC2RDU View Post
Wow, thanks for so much excellent advice and input. I apologize for not providing the fully developed picture, I should know better.

Here's the skinny on our rescue: He's a two year old, male, Great Pyrenees.

We have researched the breed extensively including talking to current Pyr owners regarding temperament, training and environment. So yes, we know they are head strong, independent dogs who shed significantly. We also know they need to stay on leash at all times and that our fenced yard needs to be enhanced to accommodate the larger breed. We have two teenage children, both of whom are animal lovers and invested in the adoption.

Much of what's been suggested in terms of behavioral techniques I'm aware of. What I've been stressing out over are the specific items we need to be in possession of on Day 1. I actually asked the foster if he was going to check and make sure we had a car restraint device before letting us drive away, much like they do when you take a newborn baby home from the hospital. Yeah, that's where my mind's at right now.

Does anyone have an opinion on GPS trackers? The one intangible that I'll probably always worry about with owning a Pyr is that they are known to wander. With today's technology I'd like to think I could simply whip out my smart phone and track him down.

If your soon-to-be-new-dog is not yet microchipped, you should take care of that as soon as possible.

I have seen at least one Pyr off-leash in an unfenced dog-friendly area. I think it's worth trying, after training the dog, and locating a dog-friendly area that is fairly removed from traffic; but there is always a risk...I hope you'll allow the dog to be off-leash in your fenced yard (after it's suitably "enhanced").

Has the dog checked for kid-friendliness or at least socialized to kids, especially teenagers?

Sounds like you're off to a good start. Great Pyrenees are beautiful dogs. Check with the foster about which dog grooming tools are best (what kind of brush, is a de-matting tool a good thing to buy); and, I would think, be ready to brush thoroughly at least once a week if not more (check with the foster). The foster might also know what food, and what amounts of food, are good for the dog. You might ask if the dog tolerates having his teeth brushed. The dog should not be allowed to get too heavy for his size/breed; arthritis is always a risk in later life, being overweight could make it worse.

Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2015, 12:52 PM

1,829 posts, read 2,235,903 times
My daughter has a GP that looks identical to Dashdog's pic above, and a GP mix. Both are great dogs and good with kids.

The purebred GP was a rescue from an abuse situation, but shows no signs of any lingering issues. My daughter was told to be careful introducing him to men. Hah! The stupid dog was in my lap before I could hug my daughter on my last visit (and first meeting of the dog!).

The daughter has a 1/4 acre fenced yard (at her home), and hikes in the mountains almost daily with the dogs; they are great companion animals. They do function somewhat like walking pillows when they are inside the house though. And they shed a lot! - add a Furminater to my previous list of things you need on day one!

She has 40 acres of high plains grassland in Wyoming that she spends some weekends at with the dogs. The dogs will do some serious roaming up there. Not uncommon for the dogs to get 2-4 miles from the trailer - they definitely have wanderlust and stamina!

Old 07-16-2015, 12:56 PM

5,882 posts, read 6,950,861 times
Quote:
what do we definitively need to have on Day 1?
I would pick up a copy of
http://www.amazon.com/The-Other-End-.../dp/034544678X
Your local library probably has a copy.

It has a lot of good info on how dogs think (and what humans do wrong). I wish she would update it, as it is now 10+ years old. There has been a lot of good research since it was first published, such as the work done by Brian Hare at Duke, but it is still a great resource.

Old 07-16-2015, 02:27 PM

6,848 posts, read 7,989,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twelvepaw View Post
Run far and fast from anyone who says you need to dominate your dog by being alpha or who says you need to practice alpha rolls to teach the dog who is boss, or who tries to tell you that you need to go through doorways first or eat first or shake the dog or who knows what other kind of nonsense that is put about.
I like to stand back and laugh as people who give this type of advice get pulled down the block by the leash connected to their poorly trained dog.

Old 07-16-2015, 05:22 PM

1,727 posts, read 1,987,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCforever View Post
I like to stand back and laugh as people who give this type of advice get pulled down the block by the leash connected to their poorly trained dog.
I have never been pulled down the block by any dog whether my own or a foster dog.

Your inability to grasp the concept of training a dog to walk nicely on leash without the use of force clearly shows your lack of training knowledge or dog behavior. Any moron can force a dog to do what they want out of fear. My dogs- all of them- are engaged responsive well behaved dogs who not only understand informal loose leash walking but also a formal heel.

You might want to learn a bit more about good training practices before you malign an entire training protocol.

Old 07-16-2015, 05:50 PM

1,829 posts, read 2,235,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twelvepaw View Post
I have never been pulled down the block by any dog whether my own or a foster dog.

Your inability to grasp the concept of training a dog to walk nicely on leash without the use of force clearly shows your lack of training knowledge or dog behavior. Any moron can force a dog to do what they want out of fear. My dogs- all of them- are engaged responsive well behaved dogs who not only understand informal loose leash walking but also a formal heel.

You might want to learn a bit more about good training practices before you malign an entire training protocol.
Ummm... Basically you just maligned an entire training protocol in your statement too, and attacked another poster to boot - A two-fer!

Different training techniques are used for different training outcomes and requirements. Pretty sure Shutzhund training would not work with positive reinforcement training only.

One size fits all training is never the "best training" methodology, although I would agree that positive reinforcement methods are "generally" the best for a "typical" dog owner and a dog without significant behavioral or aggression issues, or certain working dog functions/training.

Old 07-16-2015, 06:00 PM

1,664 posts, read 1,916,672 times
Regarding GPS trackers, they are popular with serious coon hunters who have more money in their dogs than their SO's engagement and wedding rings.

For example take a look at these prices. I am sure there is a GPS system that would get the job done for a lot less money. This was just to show you GPS is not out of the realm of possibilities for keeping a handle on your dog

Shop Dog Tracking Collars & Systems for Hunting Dogs

Old 07-16-2015, 06:13 PM

1,180 posts, read 3,126,850 times
Quote:
We will be adopting our first dog ever within the next week and I honestly feel about as nervous as when we were bringing home our newborn children.

We've gotten so much advice, much of it cancelling each other out, that I'm not quite sure we have a handle on what we need. And my wife is exploring some insane purchases at this point.

Accepting that we have nothing other than a large home, yard and an abundance of love to offer, what do we definitively need to have on Day 1?
You can't go wrong with these ebooks: Leerburg | Dog Training eBooks . Most are free to download. Especially start the ones on Ed's training philosophy and training with markers and clickers.

Also check out the forum: Leerburg Webboard | Forums. You can get advice from very knowledgeable people including professional trainers.

Congratulations on a new family member.

Old 07-16-2015, 06:46 PM

3,513 posts, read 6,375,680 times
First, congratulations on finding your new dog. I hope that you will have many fun filled, healthy years together. I have an entire bookcase full of books about dogs but one that I really recommend is this:

http://www.amazon.com/Bones-Would-Ra...zanne+clothier

It's not a book on training but our overall relationship with our pets. I do second the recommendation of Patricia McConnells books as well as those by Karen Pryor on clicker training.

Old 07-17-2015, 06:19 AM

1,727 posts, read 1,987,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuck's Dad View Post
Ummm... Basically you just maligned an entire training protocol in your statement too, and attacked another poster to boot - A two-fer!

Different training techniques are used for different training outcomes and requirements. Pretty sure Shutzhund training would not work with positive reinforcement training only.

One size fits all training is never the "best training" methodology, although I would agree that positive reinforcement methods are "generally" the best for a "typical" dog owner and a dog without significant behavioral or aggression issues, or certain working dog functions/training.
I am not sure what training protocol you feel I maligned. I am wholly opposed to force-based training methods including nonsense based on the need for "dominance", but I have made that clear in countless other posts; none of that hodgepodge amounts to a coherent methodology.

My response was strongly worded but I fail to see how it was an attack. You clearly feel differently, and that is fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs