Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2015, 10:30 PM

1,961 posts, read 2,240,562 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Lol!!!
I swear it is not me.
The whole trick came from me noticing that when I blew in Rio's face, she would swipe it with her paw.
So it was borne from my obnoxious dog torture.

So in a down stay, I blew in her face and said the command. She herself would duck her face down and swipe/cover it with her paw. A few times with a few treats...bam.

See how stupid and silly I am with some treat-hungry compliant dogs?

My friends/family come to me for advice all the time, and I cannot honestly take credit for silly stuff like this.

Like right now I just blew in my tricolor puppy's face, and she just licked the air. My "technique" is not going to work on her. Just cheezed her off.
Sounds like the foundation for "are you a slithering reptile?" to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2015, 02:38 PM

5,093 posts, read 12,549,466 times
Since you are talking about tricks right now there is a lady in our agility club that has always had miniature poodles.She taught them a trick that always gets huge laughs. She will ask them " would you rather be a Border collie or be dead?" The poodle falls over dead every time

She also had a female that she would ask " what is it you do not like about the boy dogs?" and her female would hick up her back leg .

Jazz and Dash were my best trick dogs. Dazzle looks at me like " really you expect me to do that?" Chaos is a bit better but only knows about half the tricks those two did...maybe it is the fact I am older and just not as into it as I was. Anyway the other two would do their tricks and we would always end with give me a kiss and I would bend over and they would each jump up and leave a quick lick on my cheek or if I was down at their level they would each just give one lick to my cheek people watching always loved that ending . They use to do tricks when the club would do demos at old folks home as we would start by introducing each dog and they would do some tricks. Then the audience would cheer on each dog by name as they ran agility. It was a lot of fun.Those two loved the demos be it a retirement home or the home for people with cerebral palsy . They both seemed to know they needed to be extra gentle with any of these folks and because we visited these places for years they would get very excited when we would pull into the parking lots.

Old 07-29-2015, 06:07 PM

44,256 posts, read 64,130,818 times
HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA! That is awesome.

I taught Rio to open and close the fridge bc I saw that doberman do it on a video and he brought his 'dad' a beer.
Rio wouldn't touch the beers. But she'd touch everything else in there!
So total bomb.

Old 07-29-2015, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dashdog View Post
Since you are talking about tricks right now there is a lady in our agility club that has always had miniature poodles.She taught them a trick that always gets huge laughs. She will ask them " would you rather be a Border collie or be dead?" The poodle falls over dead every time

She also had a female that she would ask " what is it you do not like about the boy dogs?" and her female would hick up her back leg .

Jazz and Dash were my best trick dogs. Dazzle looks at me like " really you expect me to do that?" Chaos is a bit better but only knows about half the tricks those two did...maybe it is the fact I am older and just not as into it as I was. Anyway the other two would do their tricks and we would always end with give me a kiss and I would bend over and they would each jump up and leave a quick lick on my cheek or if I was down at their level they would each just give one lick to my cheek people watching always loved that ending . They use to do tricks when the club would do demos at old folks home as we would start by introducing each dog and they would do some tricks. Then the audience would cheer on each dog by name as they ran agility. It was a lot of fun.Those two loved the demos be it a retirement home or the home for people with cerebral palsy . They both seemed to know they needed to be extra gentle with any of these folks and because we visited these places for years they would get very excited when we would pull into the parking lots.
Love both of those!

Yeah, my certified therapy dog Tango has a fairly basic trick repertoire that the folks in the assisted living center we visit oooh and aaah over every single time. It's even better when we visit the memory care center cause the tricks are new every time.

My fave is a friend whose GR turns around and sniffs her butt when asked "Did you fart?" Farts are always funny.

Old 07-29-2015, 07:10 PM

5,093 posts, read 12,549,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumpindogs View Post
Love both of those!

Yeah, my certified therapy dog Tango has a fairly basic trick repertoire that the folks in the assisted living center we visit oooh and aaah over every single time. It's even better when we visit the memory care center cause the tricks are new every time.

My fave is a friend whose GR turns around and sniffs her butt when asked "Did you fart?" Farts are always funny.
Love the fart one...

When you own a dog and do something like visit retirement home and see the joy it brings the people there it is so priceless. Yet I know I have had people on here say well I would not do that what if your dog bit someone? I have never ever worried about that as my dogs have manners and know how to behave and seem to sense that with elderly,handicapped or even small kids they have to be extra gentle.

Years ago I had a friend that worked at one of the retirement homes and he told me the agility club demos got the best turn out from the residents and they would still be talking about the dogs days later.

Old 07-29-2015, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Love the fart one...

When you own a dog and do something like visit retirement home and see the joy it brings the people there it is so priceless. Yet I know I have had people on here say well I would not do that what if your dog bit someone? I have never ever worried about that as my dogs have manners and know how to behave and seem to sense that with elderly,handicapped or even small kids they have to be extra gentle.

Years ago I had a friend that worked at one of the retirement homes and he told me the agility club demos got the best turn out from the residents and they would still be talking about the dogs days later.
Definitely. I am continually blessed by our therapy visit experiences. We have many cherished and even some supernatural stories.

Yup. Some dogs just know.

Not every dog is a good candidate for therapy work. And that's an understatement. A dog with a temperament that could possibly include a nip if things got dicey...there's no guarantee but a savvy dog owner knows if their dog is tolerant or not...should never do therapy work. Another very important aspect of this issue is handling...the handler is always on guard for a situation that could turn difficult and acts pre-emptively to protect his/her dog. Resident cognitive issues can result in behavior that can be scary to the dog...like a really tight collar hold and refusal to let go, for example. It can be a tough call because we don't want to alarm the resident but our dog's safety comes first.

Old 07-30-2015, 05:56 AM

1,727 posts, read 1,976,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
My goals are probably different than 95% of the people on this forum, as we have bird dogs used for both upland and waterfowl hunting. We are generally looking to create a cooperative hunting companion and honing their natural abilities.

Pretty much follow Delmar Smith techniques, or the silent command system.

We use a positive reinforcement (treats and clickers) as well as collar conditioning, especially for the field. We are also members of the North American Versatile Hunting Dog Association (NAVHDA) and participate in group training events and recognized testing using live birds in hunt searching, pointing, tracking game and retrieving, both on land and water.
I don't follow hunting dog training, so I hope you will talk a little more about this.
Why did you choose to use the Delmar Smith method?
From your experience, what are the benefits and drawbacks- if any- over other methods of training?
Silent command- hand signals?

Old 07-30-2015, 06:37 AM

Quote:

The poodle tricks are too funny. I originally read this at work yesterday and it provided some much-needed stress relief.

My blue heeler is my trick dog- when she was so reactive early on I used to work on tricks with her at the park as a way to keep her engaged and focused on me. Now I am thinking it would be fun to get back to teaching them both tricks. My girl is a very linear thinker. My boy is more creative though in thinking things through and adapting behaviors. He taught himself to play soccer complete with kicks and nose pops to keep the ball airborne, and also a borderline naughty trick that involves jumping in the air and spinning in front of me then planting a kiss on my cheek- I say borderline naughty because he knows not to jump ON people, but he gets around it by doing the jump/spin in front and then planting the kiss

Old 07-30-2015, 07:02 AM

Quote:

Yes, you have to know your dog, their personality, and what their tolerance is for different situations.

Neither of my dogs are suitable to be therapy dogs for various reasons. My girl has certain quirks that make her unsuitable. My border collie has the empathy and sensitivity needed, but at 6 years old, he still needs to mature- he still has a lot of the crazy ADD border collie energy. I re-evaluate every 6 months or so to see if he is ready.

Old 07-30-2015, 09:41 AM

44,256 posts, read 64,130,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumpindogs View Post
Definitely. I am continually blessed by our therapy visit experiences. We have many cherished and even some supernatural stories.

I always wanted to, but have never involved myself in the therapy world. I know one of my dogs would be good with it. The other one...is too boisterous.

It's nothing as important and impactful as helping the elderly or soothing the sick, but I have been blessed to be an influence on others. Better said, my dogs are the influence.

After meeting them, our maid has gotten over a lifelong fear of dogs (she mentions this all the time).
MANY MANY people have met my dog (Rio in particular, RIP) and have been inspired to get a dog (bc she was so "good and sweet and smart" - in reality, she was hardheaded and opinionated and took five years to settle the heck down, but was immensely trainable).
People who have kids and no dog have seen how my kid(s) love our dogs and have introduced a rescue into their family (our dogs are not rescue, but still), etc.

If you can be a good dog ambassador, you can bring about good things. Rio was a special dog, but these two nutbags who are trying to sit on my lap right now have also been good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs