Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2015, 11:01 AM

13,926 posts, read 39,288,552 times

Advertisements

I so sorry! Male are usually Submissive to Females. Yea he will behave till he has healed. You may get a week-10 days of peace. Start looking! Your hubby might be willing to let go of the pup once you find a good home for him. Also contact Assie Rescues... Bet they have a wait list for young dogs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2015, 12:21 PM

4,286 posts, read 4,760,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RitaTN View Post
This dog is now attacking my 3 year old aussie. She is a female but he is only 7 months old. I am now having to stay in the room with them all the time now and put up the "mean" one any time I have to leave the room or go anywhere. I feel sorry for this pup but I want him gone. My husband is still adamant that neutering him will take care of this. He has an appointment for Monday morning and I am giving it until he is healed from this surgery so my husband will see it did not change him in anyway. Then he is out of here whether my husband agrees or not. Sorry - I am just a little mad right now (at my husband). This pup would be very happy in a home with no other dogs in it.
Oh no so sorry to hear that. I don't know why your husband thinks neutering will be a magic fix because it won't. I think your plan sounds good and in the meantime you will have to keep them separate as you are doing. The surgery might not slow him down much (or at all) so I wouldn't count on him being docile while he's recovering. Hang in there.

ETA: I'd do as Katie1 suggests and start making inquiries now about a place for him. I'm willing to bet it won't be easy and will take some time to find a place for him. I know most of the purebred rescues are slammed where I am. There's just no space for all the dogs and I wouldn't be surprised if that's the case in TN as well.

Old 07-30-2015, 04:01 PM

Aussie rescues in tenn - Bing

Old 08-01-2015, 09:14 PM

1,961 posts, read 2,252,666 times
Help Placing Your Aussie

Old 08-01-2015, 09:25 PM

1,961 posts, read 2,252,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RitaTN View Post
Oh and my golden does have arthritis and is on medication already. She was in a lot of pain but the meds have made a huge difference so I don't think that is the problem. Could have something to do with it though.
Dogs are often quite stoic. What you see as a huge improvement on meds may still be felt as discomfort to her. She has every right to protect herself from an obnoxious, potentially dangerous intruder who is making her life suddenly miserable.

It's too bad your hubby is wearing blinders. Have you come straight out and asked him why he is favoring the new Aussie over your beloved old Golden girl? And if he has considered how she is feeling?

Aussies are not the easiest of breeds. I know you have a three year old but not sure how much other experience you have with Aussies. There are definitely serious temperament issues in some lines...issues that neutering will have no effect on. That might be another subject to bring to your hubby's attention.

Said this Aussie fancier of 25 years.

Old 08-02-2015, 10:32 PM
ZSP

1,765 posts, read 5,119,709 times
I see Jean Donaldson has a new book out called "Fight." It's a practical guide to the treatment of dog-dog aggression. She's a renowned dog trainer and author of many well read and recommended books.

FIGHT! - A PRACTICAL GUIDE TO THE TREATMENT OF DOG-DOG AGGRESSION - Dog Training and Behavior - Dogwise.com

Old 08-03-2015, 01:37 PM

14 posts, read 16,154 times
Jumpindogs - this is our third Aussie. My first Aussie was a male that lived to be 13. He was a wonderful dog that would hug you if he liked you He minded well and got along well with any dog he came across. He had a perfect temperament.

Roger is unlike any dog I have ever met. I vacuumed yesterday and he attacked the vacuum cleaner, biting onto it so that when I moved it he hung on. Any dog that I have ever owned has not liked the vacuum cleaner. Dixie (my girl Aussie) isn't very scared but she walks away from it to another room. My golden is terrified of it.

He is now at the vet's office in recovery and we pick up up in two hours. Vet said it takes about 6 weeks for the testosterone to get out of his body. I wish she hadn't said this because my husband will now use that as an excuse. She said there is a slight chance this will make him less aggressive but she said not to expect the two dogs to get along any better than they do now. She said she has seen it happen but it is very rare. Time will tell

Old 08-03-2015, 02:22 PM

4,286 posts, read 4,760,161 times
Thanks for the update. Did the vet's opinion on the dogs not getting along have any impact on your husband? Regardless, it seems to be another reason to go ahead and start looking for a rescue now. It could take every bit of that 6 weeks to find one.

I've had German Shepherds that will bite the vacuum cleaner. My current vacuum has teeth marks on it. I have to put them up now when I vacuum because I don't want them hurt or the vacuum destroyed.

Please continue to keep us posted.

Old 08-03-2015, 02:44 PM

Vet also said it was rare that N would help! as per your post! So Start home hunting...

Old 08-03-2015, 09:03 PM

5,847 posts, read 6,183,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumpindogs View Post

Aussies are not the easiest of breeds. I know you have a three year old but not sure how much other experience you have with Aussies. There are definitely serious temperament issues in some lines...issues that neutering will have no effect on. That might be another subject to bring to your hubby's attention.

Said this Aussie fancier of 25 years.
We are on our 4th Aussie (she's a 2 year old female) and she will be our last. She is a handful. Incredibly smart, high on the energy needs and very destructive when not getting the exercise she needs. She's also a bit on the anxious side which can sometimes manifest as aggressive behavior to other dogs and strangers. We've owned other Aussies that were more manageable, but by no means perfect themselves.

So many of the traits that attracted my husband when he got his first one in 1991- the intelligence, independence, need to constantly work etc, just no longer fit our lifestyle with 2 young kids. We certainly would never introduce another dog into the family. Our next dog will be a breed that is more laid back and sedentary.

Our girl is calming down....a little bit. And, I really think my husband kind of likes her troublemaker attitude and it will be hard for him to get another breed after owning one or two Aussies at the same time continuously for almost 25 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs