Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2015, 04:30 PM

1,727 posts, read 1,986,592 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RitaTN View Post
As a side note - Roger and Dixie absolutely love each other They play and then lay down together when they finish to rest. I still put Roger up when we go somewhere but it is nice to see that they at least get along well with each other.
This is all well and good, but doesn't address how Bridget is having to adapt to the change in her routine due to Roger or the fact that she and Roger are not getting along.

As others have mentioned, I also don't understand your husband's insistence on keeping Roger. And yes, also agree that you will NEVER be able to leave him alone with the other dogs and will live a life of constant management, which all comes down to changes in Bridget's lifestyle. I have lived with dogs under constant management- a foster dog who was very sweet but also had very poor social skills, and my dog couldn't deal with the rude behavior, and ironically the foster dog LOVED my dog. Go figure. It wasn't fun, and was constant work to ensure everyone got their exercise and needs met.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2015, 04:49 PM

15,625 posts, read 10,380,316 times
Quote:
Still looking for a rescue. The previous owners will not take him back. I am starting to go crazy. Here is my day:

Dogs all wake up. Roger and my aussie (Dixie) in my bedroom. I have to hurry up and take Bridget out to let her do her business (have to put her on a chain.)

While Bridget is on her chain, I take Dixie and Roger out to the backyard to let them run. While they are in the backyard, I unhook Bridget from her chain, bring her in , let her eat. I take her back out and walk her to let her do her business. When she is finished, I bring her in, let her get some water, and then put her in the bedroom.

I get the aussies from the backyard and bring them in to eat. When finished I take them back to the backyard (I am unable to walk both of them at the same time) and let them run and play and do their business.

I bring the Aussiesm in and put Roger in the bathroom. Get Bridget out of the bedroom and let her run in the backyard. Bring Bridget in and put her in the bedroom and let Roger out of the bathroom.

By now Bridget is starting to whine and in about 30 minutes she will start banging on the door.

2 1/2 hours later I take the two aussies out and put them in the back yard. While they are in the backyard I take Bridget out and we go for our walk/run. She is 10 and is not able to run like she use to. Bridget goes back on the chain.

I then bring in the two aussies from the backyard and put Roger in the bedroom. Bring Bridget back in.

The only exercise they are getting is running in the backyard and Bridget taking walks with me. Granted, my "backyard" is around 2 acres so they have a lot of space to run in.

Within this mess I have to clean up the BMs.

I cannot handle this schedule for too long. He is only at one week so 5 weeks to go until all of his testosterone is out of his body.

We tried to get them together the other day and they did great. Bridget just laid there and watched Roger and Dixie play. Roger went up to her a couple of times and Bridget just laid there. But, when Roger went up to her going fast in playing mode, Bridget went off and it was the viscous fight again. I am not sure if Bridget lasting about 30 minutes without fighting is a good sign??? I don't think so but maybe it is.

I have help starting at the 2nd time we all go out because my husband does not leave for work until 12:00 (and there times where he will leave to go fishing, etc.) After he leaves for work I am on my own until bed time. I have an 18 year old daughter but she is not home much. She starts college in three weeks anyway.

I hope this does not sound confusing. I get confused during the day myself. I cannot do this for long and I wish my husband had never gotten this dog. I am not mean to him. I want you all to know that. I love animals. I give Roger all the love and affection I do my other animals.
If the owners won't take him back and no rescue will take him, if this were my situation, I would take him to the shelter. He is young so may have a chance to find a person who knows this breed to give him a home. Sometimes you have to think of the family and your other dogs. I've never taken a dog to a shelter, but I wouldn't make my pets suffer or my mental health suffer because of this very bad decision.

Old 08-12-2015, 05:22 PM

14 posts, read 16,143 times
I would never take him to a shelter. The shelters here euthanize dogs and I am completely against that. I will find him a loving home if the rescue will not take him.

Old 08-13-2015, 07:34 AM

1,961 posts, read 2,251,685 times
Quote:
Still looking for a rescue.
Did you contact ARPH? ARPH is the national Aussie rescue group associated with the national breed club, ASCA. They are extremely well organized, knowledgeable about Aussie behavior and devoted to helping Aussies in need. I provided the link in a previous post but here it is again. Help Placing Your Aussie

Old 08-13-2015, 08:51 AM

4,286 posts, read 4,756,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twelvepaw View Post
This is all well and good, but doesn't address how Bridget is having to adapt to the change in her routine due to Roger or the fact that she and Roger are not getting along.

As others have mentioned, I also don't understand your husband's insistence on keeping Roger. And yes, also agree that you will NEVER be able to leave him alone with the other dogs and will live a life of constant management, which all comes down to changes in Bridget's lifestyle. I have lived with dogs under constant management- a foster dog who was very sweet but also had very poor social skills, and my dog couldn't deal with the rude behavior, and ironically the foster dog LOVED my dog. Go figure. It wasn't fun, and was constant work to ensure everyone got their exercise and needs met.
I tried to rep you again but couldn't.

I do feel for you OP but I also feel sorry for Bridget too. It seems like she's the dog who's unfairly impacted deprived doggy (your female aussie's) companionship and less family time.

I really hope you find a solution and your husband sees reason.

Old 08-17-2015, 06:13 PM

14 posts, read 16,143 times
Roger is in a new home now and all peace is restored. The aussie rescue group found him a home almost immediately. They loved him. The couple that adopted him had no other dogs and planned to get no other dogs. They were told he would make a great dog but only if they had no other animals. I will miss him as I did get close to him, but like you said, Bridget comes first and she is much happier now. Thanks everyone.

Old 08-17-2015, 06:53 PM

4,286 posts, read 4,756,882 times
Hooray! A happy ending for all. Thanks for updating.

Old 08-18-2015, 11:46 AM

20,123 posts, read 16,144,906 times
Good news! Some dogs are just meant to be only dogs.

Old 08-18-2015, 12:46 PM

1,961 posts, read 2,251,685 times
Quote:
Roger is in a new home now and all peace is restored. The aussie rescue group found him a home almost immediately. They loved him. The couple that adopted him had no other dogs and planned to get no other dogs. They were told he would make a great dog but only if they had no other animals. I will miss him as I did get close to him, but like you said, Bridget comes first and she is much happier now. Thanks everyone.
So relieved to read this. Thank you for putting Bridget and your family first. Actually, by doing that you also put Roger first as he is likely much happier and way less stressed as an only dog.

And thank your husband for seeing the light. That was prolly hard for him. He deserves a big hug!

Was it ARPH? They are awesome.

Old 08-18-2015, 06:44 PM

1,727 posts, read 1,986,592 times
Quote:
This is awesome news for all involved! Thank you for the follow up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs