Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2015, 09:21 AM

5,093 posts, read 12,549,466 times

Advertisements

When I walk the dogs in the neighborhood we pass a Carob tree there are always carob pods on the ground and I have to stop and let Chaos find one she wants so she can eat it. She started doing this when we took our first agility class a few years ago as the park had a couple carob trees. She LOVES carob but she only eats a small pod or half of a large pod. They are non toxic to dogs so being she seems to enjoy the snack I allow her to do it. Dazzle has no interest in them.

Do any of your dogs have strange snacks?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2015, 09:44 AM

1,961 posts, read 2,240,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dashdog View Post
When I walk the dogs in the neighborhood we pass a Carob tree there are always carob pods on the ground and I have to stop and let Chaos find one she wants so she can eat it. She started doing this when we took our first agility class a few years ago as the park had a couple carob trees. She LOVES carob but she only eats a small pod or half of a large pod. They are non toxic to dogs so being she seems to enjoy the snack I allow her to do it. Dazzle has no interest in them.

Arctic Beauty kiwis. They taste like normal kiwis but are the size of grapes on attractive zone 5 cold hardy perennial vines. Skinless so lovely mouth poppers. The dogs eat them slightly before they ripen in August so they always get to them before we do. The ones they can't reach they either shake off the branches or they just climb the dang vines.

And the blackberries, of course. The Chester Thornless variety I considered so appealing is apparently just as appealing to the hairy beasts.

Our girls like to eat acorns which are toxic to dogs (along with cows and horses) and unfortunately we have a long tree line of oaks. I just spent an hour raking about 57 gazillion acorns outta the grass...the beginning of a long two month daily haul. Our boys leave them alone.

Old 07-27-2015, 09:59 AM

4,941 posts, read 10,617,148 times
My GSD (R.I.P.) used to LOVE popcorn! Also, dried mango! If I was ever munching on either as a snack, she would come over to me and "present herself" by sitting and staring intently at what I was eating.

Old 07-27-2015, 06:11 PM

5,093 posts, read 12,549,466 times
My dogs like popcorn too so if I have popcorn I will toss them a few pieces: however Dazzle will only eat pieces that have butter on them, no butter he will not eat it

Old 07-27-2015, 07:04 PM

1,727 posts, read 1,976,106 times
I had to look Carob up- didn't know is a member of the legume family. Apparently the whole dried pod is delicious and full of nutrients including fiber. Smart pup.
When I lived in mid-state NY, my now-deceased border collie loved snacking on the wild blackberries and raspberries growing on the property. All my dogs have loved almonds, sardines, yogurt and popcorn.

Old 07-27-2015, 07:13 PM

2,709 posts, read 6,295,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dashdog View Post

Not really. But I have to say that I wish there was a carob tree in my neighborhood. I love carob!

Old 07-27-2015, 10:28 PM

720 posts, read 1,704,288 times
My poodle Delilah would grab the strawberries and cherry tomatoes as they ripened.

Old 07-28-2015, 01:45 AM

13,912 posts, read 39,136,155 times
My dogs eat what I eat as long as its not Toxic to them.

Old 07-28-2015, 02:53 AM

1,483 posts, read 1,373,324 times
Izzy eats elm leaves.The leaves are rough with rather tough veins running through them...

...so you wouldn't think they'd be appealing to a dog at all. But Izzy seeks out the lower branches (usually low, bushy tree shrubs) when we are out walking and will grab a few to snarf down.

btw, this wasn't an instinctive thing with him; he learned the behaviour from my last dog, Kaya. She was the one who started the unusual habit, and when I got Izzy he just began copying her, and he still does it to this day. I asked the vet about it once and she'd never heard of a dog doing this before, at least with elm leaves in particular.

Old 07-28-2015, 03:22 AM

1,483 posts, read 1,373,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twelvepaw View Post
When I lived in mid-state NY, my now-deceased border collie loved snacking on the wild blackberries and raspberries growing on the property. All my dogs have loved almonds, sardines, yogurt and popcorn.
My last dog, Kaya, also used to love eating berries off the bushes. I have black raspberry and blackberry bushes on my property, and when Kaya was still alive she'd join me in gathering berries; mine was the top half to pick, anything at her level was her turf.

And every dog I've ever owned has loved popcorn. I used to give Kaya a few kernels when I'd have some on a 'movie night', and when Izzy came along he too used to get three or four kernels. Unfortunately during one such evening my inattention caused something now known in my house as "The Great Popcorn Incident". I'd been sitting on the sofa watching a movie, and would toss couple of kernels of popcorn down at the two dogs (one for each)...but at one point in the movie I became so engrossed in it I wasn't paying attention when I tossed the dogs some popcorn. Turns out I had only grabbed one piece of popcorn, and it landed squarely between the two of them. Izzy, about a year old - maybe a bit less - at the time, immediately dove for the treat, and Kaya followed suit a nanosecond later. What followed was a melee fit for the WWF. Kaya pounced on Izzy and pinned him to the floor, with Izzy struggling in sudden panic, his lanky teenager legs flailing about in every direction. Kaya, who had at least 15 pounds on him, just bore her weight down harder on my poor Izzy-Bear, all the while giving him a severe thrashing, growling and teeth lashing out as Iz fought to get out from under her. I reacted almost immediately (shock overcame my ability to move for a moment) and managed to pull Kaya off of Izzy, whereupon Iz flew from floor to sofa, where he sat quivering until I finally calmed him down.

*Sidenote: Kaya didn't physically hurt Izzy at all...never laid a tooth or claw on him...but she managed to scare the absolute stuffings out of his little black and white body.

However, this scuffle had a temporary effect on Iz, as I discovered on my next movie night. I sat on the sofa one evening ready to watch a movie, but the moment I tore open the bag a black and white blur of border collie sailed past me, leaping from floor directly to the back of the sofa, and Izzy sat shaking like a leaf, obviously believing that the presence of popcorn would be the beginning of his untimely demise.

For months after that I couldn't have popcorn in the house. Izzy was just too afraid of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs