Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2015, 02:48 PM

14,785 posts, read 24,071,257 times

Advertisements

That is just outrageous an adoption fee of 250.00 . I'm sorry but I have had it with these rescues . I mean really they should be kissing peoples butts to adopt these dogs . I mean they know that these dogs will have a home with adopters and yet they want to charge these outrageous fees and then they complain that they are full and have no room .. Um excuse me but maybe if you would not charge that much money , then maybe you might be able to help more dogs and you would not be so full . I can understand charging a fee but 250.00 ? that is a mighty high price to me . I'm sorry for ranting but I m done with these rescues from here out I will be checking with family members and seeing if my friends know of anybody . I really think that these shelters need to be regulated with their fees and how they operate and their stupid rules too . My cousin got told about 6 months ago that she could not adopt a dog because she has diabetes and might die and leave the dog alone !!! Have any of you been given stupid reasons for not being approved by a rescue ? I think so far my cousin 's one takes the cake .

Old 08-04-2015, 03:16 PM

4,286 posts, read 4,756,882 times
$250 is not a lot if the dog is spayed or neutered and UTD with vaccinations. You'd spend at least that at the vets to get all that care (and certainly that's less than you'd pay to purchase a purebred from a good breeder). $250 is pretty standard where I am for a large dog adoption fee.

Additionally, dogs from reputable rescues have had their medical issues addressed. Not so with a dog from a shelter. Even if the rescue didn't spend that much on your particular dog, they probably spent more than that on another dog's medical issues. I know the last few dogs the rescue I volunteer with has taken in have all been heart worm positive (and had other medical issues) and at least one of dogs rescued before that needed surgery (amputation). They didn't charge a larger adoption fee to the family that adopted that dog. If the dog has been at the rescue for a while, they've also had to pay for food, heart worm and flea medications.

There is a huge shortage of foster homes. Occasionally a dog who is in a foster home has to be boarded if it's current foster family has a change in circumstances. So boarding is another expense that an adoption fee will help pay. Usually $250 does not even begin to cover the rescue's cost.

Even if they lowered the fee and adopted more dogs out, a rescue can only take in more dogs in IF they can afford to care for the dogs. It's not a one to one correlation.

I do think some rescues are too strict on some of their adoption guidelines. I can't imagine anyone being turned down because of suffering from diabetes if they were otherwise healthy enough to care for the dog.

Most shelters have lower adoption fees and those dogs need homes just as badly. Some times the shelters will have days where they reduce or waive adoption fees. You might call the shelters in your area and see if they have something like that scheduled.

Old 08-04-2015, 03:44 PM

13,926 posts, read 39,275,326 times
I know the feeling! Pap Rescue was charging $600 for a 1 yrs old spayed. I paid $400 for Lady-Bug from a breeder! 3+ yrs later I paid the vet $98 to spay her she weigh all of 8# Still way less that I would have paid the rescue!! Its really a shame people can go to a Breeder & get a dog for Way less than a rescue! Something seem way wrong with that! Rescues should be cheaper for people Willing to pay for some one else mistakes! Take Tons of hours to correct bad habits. While a puppy is a clean slate so to speak. Much easier to train. So its almost like Rescues Want people to buy from breeders & bring more dogs into this world

Old 08-04-2015, 04:01 PM

3,125 posts, read 5,047,057 times
$250 doesn't normally cover the cost of rescuing a dog. Usually rescue volunteers put up alot out of their own pockets. I know we do when we've fostered. First you have the transport cost if the dog is from out of the area. Then you have to deflea and detick them. Sometimes you can do this yourself and sometimes the dog is so matted they need to be shaved by a groomer first. Then you have the vet visit, shots, spay/neuter, pain medications, antibiotics if an infection sets in, heartworm meds if needed, healthy food to get them back on a good footing, often digestive enzymes and probiotics to help them overcome the stress of the shelter or affect from antibiotics.

Then there is the ongoing food and training as well as treats, toys, collars, microchip, crates, transportation to vet appointments etc. Fosters often pay for food and training out of pocket while the rescue picks up the medical bills. As a volunteer you know some dogs need additional medical help so you pick up as much of the expenses as you can. If someone can't afford the $250 to adopt a dog then they likely won't be able to afford the on-going care for the dog. I'm not saying that is you but it is important to know how expensive dogs can be. If a rescue does a poor job selecting an adopted home the dogs come back and the expenses start all over again. That is why they are so picky. People aren't very good at self selecting when it comes to adopt a dog for life. They mostly act on a whim and then regret it and try to give the dog up. The poor dog is generally very upset at losing their home. That is also why rescues try to pick a really great home for the dog where they are not likely to lose it. We want them to by happy.

Also while fostering you tend to get very attached to the dog. A poor home selection could result in the dog ending up in a shelter or adopted out without your knowledge and then perhaps a dog you loved and cared for isn't being treated well.

That being said there are tons of people trying to give up dogs all the time. Often for free. You shouldn't have any trouble finding one that way. And there is nothing wrong with that at all. Rescues do a good thing for dogs and you will also be rescuing a dog yourself. Go for it!

Old 08-04-2015, 04:07 PM

4,286 posts, read 4,756,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
I know the feeling! Pap Rescue was charging $600 for a 1 yrs old spayed. I paid $400 for Lady-Bug from a breeder! 3+ yrs later I paid the vet $98 to spay her she weigh all of 8# Still way less that I would have paid the rescue!! Its really a shame people can go to a Breeder & get a dog for Way less than a rescue! Something seem way wrong with that! Rescues should be cheaper for people Willing to pay for some one else mistakes! Take Tons of hours to correct bad habits. While a puppy is a clean slate so to speak. Much easier to train. So its almost like Rescues Want people to buy from breeders & bring more dogs into this world
I know you've bred dogs and sold them in the past but have you ever volunteered for a 501(c)(3) rescue group? Do you have any idea what it costs to operate one?

I have to think rescues charging $600 are pretty rare. I also wonder what kind of "rescue" it was. Some of them are not true rescues but resellers in it to make a buck. I do know though that smaller dogs, especially pure bred ones, have higher rescue fees because they're more in demand.

Not all rescue dogs have bad habits and take tons of hours to correct, that's just wrong. Puppies may be "blank slates" but they need housebreaking and training. They're not necessarily easier to live with than a rescue dog.

You can find pure bred dogs for $100 (or less) from a "breeder" but that doesn't mean it's a good idea to get that dog because all you're doing is supporting a backyard breeder who only in it for the money and doesn't care about the dogs. Once those dogs are unable to produce puppies they'll just dump them in a shelter or on the street to be saved by the rescue you didn't support.

There are reasons to adopt from a rescue other than just to save a money.

Last edited by Rowan123; 08-04-2015 at 04:35 PM..

Old 08-04-2015, 04:16 PM

3,513 posts, read 6,373,551 times
How much will it cost you to take a new dog to the vet for everything it will need?

Include: First DHLPP
Second DHLPP
Rabies vaccine
Possibly some additional vaccines
Fecal check
Dewormer, as needed
Heart worm test, if over 6 months of age
Heart worm preventative - cost per dose
Flea and tick preventative - cost per dose
Microchiping and registration
Spay or neuter

Some costs will vary depending on the weight of the dog.

Please check and let us know how much your vet will charge for all that. Add in your costs for one month of food, collar, leash, etc.

Here is a link to what the local low cost clinic charges:

» Dogs Mountain View Humane

For an average size female with no additional surgical issues it would be $158.00 if rabies, bordetella and first DHLPP are needed. Note that it does not include fecal testing or any dewormers, any heart worm preventative, booster vaccines, etc.

If rescue groups bring in 5 or more dogs at the same time there is a whopping $6.00 discount per dog.

Old 08-04-2015, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowan123 View Post
I know you've bred dogs and sold them in the past but have you ever volunteered for a 501(c)(3) rescue group? Do you have any idea what it costs to operate one?

I have to think rescues charging $600 are pretty rare. I also wonder what kind of "rescue" it was. Some of them are not true rescues but resellers in it to make a buck. I do know though that smaller dogs, especially pure bred ones, have higher rescue fees because they're more in demand.

Not all rescue dogs have bad habits and take tons of hours to correct, that's just wrong. Puppies may be "blank slates" but they need housebreaking and training. They're not necessarily easier to live with than a rescue dog.

You can find pure bred dogs for $100 (or less) from a "breeder" but that doesn't mean it's a good idea to get that dog because all you're doing is supporting a backyard breeder who only in it for the money and doesn't care about the dogs. Once those dogs are unable to produce puppies they'll just dump them in a shelter or on the street to be saved by the rescue you didn't support.

There are reasons to adopt from a rescue other than just to save a money.

I had my OWN rescue! I PAID for the Dobies & Rotties out of Pocket! Just to give them away to good home! I took in dogs folks brought to me! Again I Gave them away! So don't tell me what it cost to rescue a dog! I KNOW the Pap I was going to get for $600 didn't cost the Rescue a DIME! They just wanted Money!

I also worked for the local Humane Soc. & Purchsed Food for them!

Old 08-04-2015, 07:18 PM

1,961 posts, read 2,251,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
That is just outrageous an adoption fee of 250.00 . I'm sorry but I have had it with these rescues . I mean really they should be kissing peoples butts to adopt these dogs . I mean they know that these dogs will have a home with adopters and yet they want to charge these outrageous fees and then they complain that they are full and have no room .. Um excuse me but maybe if you would not charge that much money , then maybe you might be able to help more dogs and you would not be so full . I can understand charging a fee but 250.00 ? that is a mighty high price to me . I'm sorry for ranting but I m done with these rescues from here out I will be checking with family members and seeing if my friends know of anybody .
Are you saying that you think the volunteers who foster these dogs, providing them with food, vet care (exam, spay/neuter, vaccinations, heartworm check, treatment of any health issues), basic manners training and in some cases behavioral training should pay for all this out of their own pockets for the many dogs they foster on a continuing basis?

Get real. Or get your dogs from a taxpayer funded shelter and pass on the many benefits of adopting a dog fostered in a private home.

Old 08-04-2015, 07:24 PM

20,124 posts, read 16,144,906 times
I can live with the "rehoming" fee for rescues, which around here start at $350 and I have seen as high as $550, as long as they are actually up-to-date on shots and fixed, because I do understand those things aren't free. I do, however, have a huge issue with the sheer intrusiveness of their adoption process, or worse, some of the absolutely ludicrous reasons they reject some potential adopters. Rescue groups are starting to become a contributing factor to the puppy mill problem. Although it varies, there is not a lot of difference in the costs anymore. Where the real difference lies is in the process of obtaining the dog. With a breeder it just takes a phone call and money, with a rescue it is a complicated, intrusive application, reference checks, and home/yard inspection all while making it clear you will be lucky if you are deemed good enough. Not going to happen. I will either get my next dog from the pound, even if it is a pound I have to drive some distance to. Were that not an option, a breeder might indeed be the next option. I know one thing, I would definitely go to a breeder before I subjected myself to the dog "rescue" process.

Old 08-04-2015, 07:38 PM

oldhag you may or may not pass my on phone interview! Back when I was breeding folks said IF you want a dog go to the pound or HS but avoid ... cause she asks a Million Questions! Even my Give a ways were hours of talking & getting to know the person BEFORE I invite them to meet my dogs! So the forms I don't mind they just seem unfriendly. But a Asked the same questions those forms do & then some. Then I want to see how Family is going to interact with my dogs Before I let them go! I even did follow up visit 30 days later esp if its an older dog. Yes I could tell from the dogs actions if s/he were happy! ALL dog Free or sold by me came with S/N contracts. Basicly if you purchased a dog I refund XX money IF it was fixed by 6 months old. Freebies the person picked up at the vet after was fixed. They paid the bill direct to the vet not me. So there was no skimming off the top. ALL dogs got their shots! paid out of my pocket! & I spend hours teaching manners to dogs over 6 months. Some time hours in their new home working with them. FREE.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs