U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2008, 12:29 PM

1,738 posts, read 7,496,855 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleosmom View Post
Yeah well, that's life with live critters
yes it is. yucky yucky. it reminds me of that show "you are what you eat".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2008, 10:12 PM

3,714 posts, read 8,268,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by titaniummd View Post
Ok, so it may be some fixation with doggy doo doo that I ask this question. If you don't know, by now, our 1 year old Bichon (rescue) has been my latest addition to the family

I notice (b) when I have given him treats (Charlee Bear, Nylabones, and standard Pet Co dog bisquits, Dick Van Patten's Bison and blueberry bisquits). Is that a common thing to see (soft doo doo)? Are there treats out there that give the more solid consistency?

Should I even give treats???
He's an awfully small breed to get much in the way of treats. My dog, a lab/newfie/husky/? cross is about 80 lbs, and I only give her half of the smallest size biscuits, or an oyster cracker or even just a single Cheerio. She's happy with it, it's a treat no matter how big or small it is.

On the other hand, she's one of the lucky ones that can eat anything with no repercussions, though she's not overly fond of oatmeal if it doesn't have butter in it. Then again, she'd be perfectly happy with an old tire, if I slathered enough butter on it.

One thing you might try is making your own. One that has worked well for others is a crunchy made of beef hot dogs. They are sliced nearly paper thin, wrapped in several layers of paper towels, and nuked. The result is a dry chip, which you could break in half and use. Another alternative would be to keep part of the kibble separate for treats, and dab them in peanut butter, just enough for the smell and flavor to make it different.

Old 01-27-2008, 01:56 AM

395 posts, read 1,248,793 times
Quote:
Ok, so it may be some fixation with doggy doo doo that I ask this question. If you don't know, by now, our 1 year old Bichon (rescue) has been my latest addition to the family.

You have already lived through my concerns about tapeworms, picking up doo doo, when and where to have him go, etc etc.

I notice that there are two types:
a) Dark brown and solid
b) Running and light beige colored

I notice (b) when I have given him treats (Charlee Bear, Nylabones, and standard Pet Co dog bisquits, Dick Van Patten's Bison and blueberry bisquits). Is that a common thing to see (soft doo doo)? Are there treats out there that give the more solid consistency?

Should I even give treats???

Your little Bischon might do better with Eukanuba Healthy extras treats....they make some specifically for smaller breeds. I had that same problem with my little Pomeranian...when I called my vet she said try a different type of treat...
So anyways...your pup may do better with treats made especially for little tummies.This has just been my experience.
Also try moving to a lame diet for your dog.This is what I have to do for my little one.Lame diet(some white rice or baked chicken)...just replace treats with that for a week or so until she/he feels better.That is what my vet recomends when my dog's stomach is upset and makes her poo like you described...But only give little bits of rice and chicken throughout the day! Not too much!
I hope this helps.

Also! I only give my pup 3 treats per day!!!! Any more than that she get all sickly...remember that.

Old 01-27-2008, 05:50 AM

2,658 posts, read 10,457,572 times
Thanks everyone. I am 'over treating' him based upon what I have read. He must get 8 - 10 Charlee Bear treats (3 calories each), and sometimes 4-6 little doggy biscuts.

So just one treat or serving of a treat, huh?

Old 01-27-2008, 06:31 AM

1,738 posts, read 7,496,855 times
these are very good for you dog. So good some people use them as dog food. look at the ingredients
These are what we usually use ...or shredded cheese. Cody is small so shredded cheese works.
Dick Van Patten's Natural Balance® Pet Foods :1

Old 01-27-2008, 06:35 AM

Here is what I give:

Dick Van Patten's Natural Balance® Healthy Bones™ with Bison, Barley & Blueberry (http://www.naturalbalanceinc.com/dogformulas/HealthyBisontreats.html - broken link)

Charlee Bear Dog Treats at PETCO

Old 01-27-2008, 09:43 AM

4,654 posts, read 15,737,854 times
Quote:
Here is what I give:

Dick Van Patten's Natural Balance® Healthy Bones™ with Bison, Barley & Blueberry (http://www.naturalbalanceinc.com/dogformulas/HealthyBisontreats.html - broken link)

Charlee Bear Dog Treats at PETCO
Color me confused, could well be that you changed since mentioning it before. I thought you placed your Bichon on Solid Gold or some other food without wheat to avoid possible allergies? If that's the case, why feed the Charlee Bear treats whose first ingredient is wheat flour?

Old 01-27-2008, 06:42 PM

8,204 posts, read 32,160,564 times
Quote:

It's almost like I should treat him with his kibble instead of anything else.....
This is what I noticed my vet did in his office, so I started doing the same.

I use a low calorie, larger size kibble as their treat - so it's just dog food. It's crunchy like a dog bone, and it tastes a bit different that their regular food, so they are none the wiser that it doesn't come in a box labeled "treats".

At this time, since I am still acclimating a new dog into the home (though she's doing pretty well ), I am giving out more treats than I normally would, but "normally", they don't even get treats every day.

I think it's more about the act of love and the offering of food for them that the actual "food item", though I could be wrong......what do others think of that?

Old 01-27-2008, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleosmom View Post
Color me confused, could well be that you changed since mentioning it before. I thought you placed your Bichon on Solid Gold or some other food without wheat to avoid possible allergies? If that's the case, why feed the Charlee Bear treats whose first ingredient is wheat flour?
Great memory. Yes: Solid Gold Hundnflocken.

Good point. Actually, I was really trying to avoid corn. I was fixated on the liver aspect. I noticed a lot of liver treats have corn. Thanks for the advice.

Old 01-27-2008, 09:38 PM

4,654 posts, read 15,737,854 times
Quote:
Great memory. Yes: Solid Gold Hundnflocken.

Good point. Actually, I was really trying to avoid corn. I was fixated on the liver aspect. I noticed a lot of liver treats have corn. Thanks for the advice.
While that can be true, wheat is usually a leading allergen with dogs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs