Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2015, 06:22 PM

1,727 posts, read 1,986,592 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dltordj View Post
Do you need names or numbers or what? I dont particularly care what you think I do or dont know. Im telling you what I've seen trainers do. Also did you see the way that dog challenged the owner? If that isnt aggression id like to know what you consider an aggressive dog.
It was a rhetorical question.

Just because you have seen a trainer/s do something doesn't mean it is a good training technique. There are lots of really bad trainers out there. As well, just because a particular technique works with one dog doesn't mean it would be advisable to use it with another dog. A good trainer adapts their method to the individual dog.

The vast majority of dogs have fear aggression which is a different animal if you will than true aggression. Humans are notoriously bad at interpreting dog behavior. A snarl or growl isn't necessarily a challenge; often it is a warning or a request that says I am trying hard to be good, so please don't push me any further. I would like to point out that a dog should be allowed to eat in peace without anybody, much less an utter stranger walking up and trying to take possession of the resource (food).

As others have mentioned, there are several productive exercises as well as variations on each that can be used to teach a dog not to resource guard. This video is a textbook example of what NOT to do. Unfortunately this dog paid the price so that this self-styled trainer could look macho and look good on tv. This is wrong. Training isn't done in soundbites and issues aren't resolved in 60 minute episodes. Your comments exemplify what is wrong with this show- lay people are watching the show and thinking that what they see is how it is without understanding a drop of dog behavior or training principles, so they think, hey, this Cesar guy really knows his stuff.

Jrz and Bassetluv have both offered good thoughts, ideas, and personal experiences that are far more productive than anything you will see on tv.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2015, 08:32 PM

2,469 posts, read 3,259,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twelvepaw View Post
It was a rhetorical question.

Just because you have seen a trainer/s do something doesn't mean it is a good training technique. There are lots of really bad trainers out there. As well, just because a particular technique works with one dog doesn't mean it would be advisable to use it with another dog. A good trainer adapts their method to the individual dog.

The vast majority of dogs have fear aggression which is a different animal if you will than true aggression. Humans are notoriously bad at interpreting dog behavior. A snarl or growl isn't necessarily a challenge; often it is a warning or a request that says I am trying hard to be good, so please don't push me any further. I would like to point out that a dog should be allowed to eat in peace without anybody, much less an utter stranger walking up and trying to take possession of the resource (food).

As others have mentioned, there are several productive exercises as well as variations on each that can be used to teach a dog not to resource guard. This video is a textbook example of what NOT to do. Unfortunately this dog paid the price so that this self-styled trainer could look macho and look good on tv. This is wrong. Training isn't done in soundbites and issues aren't resolved in 60 minute episodes. Your comments exemplify what is wrong with this show- lay people are watching the show and thinking that what they see is how it is without understanding a drop of dog behavior or training principles, so they think, hey, this Cesar guy really knows his stuff.

Jrz and Bassetluv have both offered good thoughts, ideas, and personal experiences that are far more productive than anything you will see on tv.

This, dog went through 4 trainers, *4* not 1 not 2, 4. I'm sure they tried plenty of techniques. Did you watch the entire episode? Did you see where the dog attacked him? That is an unstable dog if I've ever seen one. What do you think would have happened if their toddler was carrying food or dropped a piece of food on the floor and attempted to pick it up with that dog around? I can deal with house training, obedience, etc. but I would never, ever, ever keep a dog with food aggression that extreme, dogs that bite,snap etc. at people, any dog that didnt like all people big, small, baby, toddler what ever. Too many nice dogs around to deal with those problems.

Old 08-19-2015, 03:58 AM

Quote:
This, dog went through 4 trainers, *4* not 1 not 2, 4. I'm sure they tried plenty of techniques. Did you watch the entire episode? Did you see where the dog attacked him? That is an unstable dog if I've ever seen one. What do you think would have happened if their toddler was carrying food or dropped a piece of food on the floor and attempted to pick it up with that dog around? I can deal with house training, obedience, etc. but I would never, ever, ever keep a dog with food aggression that extreme, dogs that bite,snap etc. at people, any dog that didnt like all people big, small, baby, toddler what ever. Too many nice dogs around to deal with those problems.
It doesn't matter how many trainers had previously worked with Holly. A trainer is only as good as their training, the methods they use in a given situation, and their ability to read, diagnose canine body language, and react accordingly.

By the time the dog "attacked" she had been provoked, threatened, intimidated, and physically attacked. Holly gave countless continuous calming signals and tried to get away from him but he wouldn't leave her alone.

This video is rightfully extremely disturbing to anyone who understands canine body language. The original version is even more horrific. I am not sure why you aren't horrified by it. Did YOU just watch the video or did you pay attention to the captions which are breaking down the (very) basic body language for you? The dog is speaking loud and clear- she began with a bit of anxiety and after being bullied, physically attacked (he punches her), and intimidated by him she feels she doesn't have any choice. She repeatedly asked him to leave her alone and tried to get away from him. BTW, the original version of this is not new; it has been out there for maybe 8 years or so.

If Holly were a person, this would be the equivalent of a thug intimidating, harassing, bullying, and threatening a young woman, and you would be cheering for her, but because she is a dog you are condemning her even though she is very clearly telling this thug to get away from her, screaming for help, and trying to get away from him. This is an absolutely reprehensible situation, and his behavior is unconscionable.

What I don't understand is why you feel this is defensible on his part or why you or anybody feels it is ok for someone-anybody- to taunt, threaten, intimidate, attack, and bully a dog? Holly showed extraordinary restraint; I was ready to bite him way before she did.

Old 08-19-2015, 06:35 AM

1,961 posts, read 2,251,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Crazy or not, that dog told him to back off 1000 different ways.

In fact, I think crazy would involved in unprovoked bite. Not one where the dog told you 50 times not to get over there.
Yup. And crazy more aptly describes Millan who failed to recognize and respond to the dog's many attempts to tell him how uncomfortable he was.

That episode...and yes, I watched the entire episode previously...clearly exemplifies how force-based approaches can exacerbate fear-based aggression in the dog. Thanks, Cesar.

Old 08-19-2015, 06:38 AM

7,329 posts, read 16,417,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Crazy or not, that dog told him to back off 1000 different ways.

In fact, I think crazy would involved in unprovoked bite. Not one where the dog told you 50 times not to get over there.
This is my viewpoint also. The way he ignored the dog's signals is a perfect example of how not to behave with a crazy dog, a good dog with issues, a dog with no issues in a bad situation, it doesn't matter. I think there's something to learn with all trainers, Millan included. But some people defend him beyond all reason as if he's the be-all and end-all of dog training. His shows are heavily edited for time of course, surely edited to make him look good at times (not here!), and you don't see how the dogs do down the road. Yes he adopted this dog. Otherwise it would have been pts, and maybe it should have been anyway. But by forcing this dog to attack him and putting it on tv, he made it unadoptable no matter what. The main takeaway from this episode is what NOT to do.

Old 08-19-2015, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twelvepaw View Post
It doesn't matter how many trainers had previously worked with Holly. A trainer is only as good as their training, the methods they use in a given situation, and their ability to read, diagnose canine body language, and react accordingly.

By the time the dog "attacked" she had been provoked, threatened, intimidated, and physically attacked. Holly gave countless continuous calming signals and tried to get away from him but he wouldn't leave her alone.

This video is rightfully extremely disturbing to anyone who understands canine body language. The original version is even more horrific. I am not sure why you aren't horrified by it. Did YOU just watch the video or did you pay attention to the captions which are breaking down the (very) basic body language for you? The dog is speaking loud and clear- she began with a bit of anxiety and after being bullied, physically attacked (he punches her), and intimidated by him she feels she doesn't have any choice. She repeatedly asked him to leave her alone and tried to get away from him. BTW, the original version of this is not new; it has been out there for maybe 8 years or so.

If Holly were a person, this would be the equivalent of a thug intimidating, harassing, bullying, and threatening a young woman, and you would be cheering for her, but because she is a dog you are condemning her even though she is very clearly telling this thug to get away from her, screaming for help, and trying to get away from him. This is an absolutely reprehensible situation, and his behavior is unconscionable.

What I don't understand is why you feel this is defensible on his part or why you or anybody feels it is ok for someone-anybody- to taunt, threaten, intimidate, attack, and bully a dog? Holly showed extraordinary restraint; I was ready to bite him way before she did.

I get it, you are right and everyone else is wrong. All four of those trainers sucked and are bad. Holly gets angry and scared when she eats so we should just throw her bowl on the ground and run And hide-Holly wins.

Old 08-19-2015, 06:47 AM

Quote:
I get it, you are right and everyone else is wrong. All four of those trainers sucked and are bad. Holly gets angry and scared when she eats so we should just throw her bowl on the ground and run And hide-Holly wins.
Wowza- this isn't about "winning"- it is about humans doing right by a dog. It is about behaving in a compassionate and non-confrontational manner when faced with a frightened dog.
I am not sure whether you are deliberately misinterpreting what I said or just don't get it- either way, my suggestion is that until we all have a fuller understanding of dog behavior and language, it wouldn't hurt to show a little more compassion and less judgment. The way that we behave with our dogs is a reflection on us, not on our dogs, and it speaks poorly of someone who treats a dog this way.

Old 08-19-2015, 07:00 AM

Quote:
You're sure the four trainers tried plenty of techniques? Why are you sure? That's an assumption with little basis and in reality the opposite assumption has much more basis. There are so many "dog trainers" out there with very little appropriate education. It's hard to find a good trainer who is able to alter the approach to fit the dog. IME...and that's 20+ years of dog training and teaching classes...that is a rare commodity.

Dogs don't have verbal skills to talk to us. They have only their body language...which most humans are extremely unskilled at interpreting...and their mouth. Just because they use their mouth after we consistently ignore their attempts to talk to us using their body language does not mean they are aggressive. It means they are using their last resort and that we are ignorant. Or, in Millan's case, stupid. He knows better because he does understand canine body language and chooses to ignore it. He risks his own safety...and that's his choice...but he also greatly escalates the dog's stress levels and I personally very much dislike him for that.

That said, a dog that must resort to using it's mouth because it has fear issues that it's humans are too ignorant to interpret does not belong in a family environment. Nobody here was suggesting that dog remain with the family. Most laypeople are not capable of the behavior modification (education, time, patience, consistency, management) necessary to rehabilitate such a dog.

Old 08-19-2015, 07:10 AM

Quote:
You obviously have no comprehension of how a certified behaviorist (CAAB) would work with Holly. They would not "throw her bowl on the ground and run And hide". Maybe you should research CAAB approaches to resolving resource guarding and then comment?

The win for Holly would be to learn that she doesn't have to be afraid when someone approaches her food bowl. That's what a CAAB would teach her. And that's a win for everyone.

Old 08-19-2015, 07:58 AM

[SIZE=2][/SIZE] 20+ years of dog training and teaching classes just had to make sure you throw that in there. I never mentioned anything about a behaviorist.

I'd put a dog to sleep before I wasted money on that. Dog is aggressive, fear bites-goodbye and good riddance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs