Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2015, 09:57 AM

2,706 posts, read 3,379,498 times

Advertisements

We were in the same situation with our 14 y/o Yorkie, Casey.....the big difference is, even after seeing him struggle to stand in the Oxygen Tent, we did not put him down hoping he would get better......two hours later he died of a Heart Attack. From that day on, I will never let my dog suffer due to my selfishness....it is etched in my mind how Casey looked, and kick myself in the arse for not doing the right thing, as you did. Since then, we have had to put down our boy Frisco (17 y/o Yorkie), and as hard as it was, I know he went in peace laying in my arms.....now we have Codi (13 y/o Yorkie), who goes everywhere we go, and is never left for more than a couple hours....as a matter of fact, my Wife dropped to P/T work to ensure that when I leave, she's with him within 1/2 hour. Bless you for doing the right thing, the pain / sadness you feel is nothing in comparison than how you would feel to have let your buddy suffer any longer.

Last edited by beer belly; 09-08-2015 at 10:14 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2015, 11:44 AM

6,471 posts, read 6,676,653 times
My eyes are all watery and I'm covered in goosebumps after reading your post. Grief is the price we pay for love, whether it's a human loss or the loss of a pet. Sometimes it seems so cruel and unfair that we have to go through so much pain when we lose someone we love, and that will always be one of the great mysteries of this life to me. I hope the next life brings answers, and I do believe it will bring reunion with those we love.

You were a devoted, big-hearted, wonderful doggie-parent to Daisy, and I was truly touched to read about her. Please share photos if that would be comforting to you. I would love to see your sweet girl. 🐾

Old 09-08-2015, 11:55 AM

1,843 posts, read 3,058,271 times
I'm so sorry for your loss. It's such a difficult thing to go through, losing our babies. Just remember you did the right thing, and she had a wonderful home.

Old 09-08-2015, 12:07 PM

8,053 posts, read 12,774,958 times
Sorry for your loss; it is hard to lose a member of the family.

Old 09-08-2015, 12:16 PM

14,361 posts, read 9,787,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusPrime69 View Post
Completely devastated.
I had her 14 years. She was such a good little dog, I'll miss her terribly. She was always so happy and content to just sit with you and chew a bone. A really loyal, loving dog.

RIP Daisy. love you xoxox
A faithful companionship coming to a close is the sad reality for every pet owner.

My vet has this poem hanging in his exam rooms:

The LAST BATTLE

If it should be that I grow frail and weak
And pain should keep me from my sleep,
Then will you do what must be done,
For this — the last battle — can't be won.
You will be sad I understand,
But don't let grief then stay your hand,
For on this day, more than the rest,
Your love and friendship must stand the test.
We have had so many happy years,
You wouldn't want me to suffer so.
When the time comes, please, let me go.
Take me to where to my needs they'll tend,
Only, stay with me till the end
And hold me firm and speak to me
Until my eyes no longer see.
I know in time you will agree
It is a kindness you do to me.
Although my tail its last has waved,
From pain and suffering I have been saved.
Don't grieve that it must be you
Who has to decide this thing to do;
We've been so close — we two — these years,
Don't let your heart hold any tears.

I believe that animals have souls, and that when we ourselves stand at the gates of heaven our family and pets will be there waiting to greet us once again.

Old 09-08-2015, 12:31 PM

4,042 posts, read 2,711,107 times
I'm SO sorry for your loss. My family, too, went through that pain this year so I can certainly relate to how you are feeling, as well as many of the posters here I'm sure.

Our fur-babies are part of the family and we love them so much! Your baby loved you and knew of your love for her so take strength in that. You did all that you could and she knows that.

Sending you a hug from my corner.

Old 09-08-2015, 12:35 PM

19,750 posts, read 22,661,296 times
I'm so sorry.. It's tough to lose a friend and companion. Sounds like you gave that dog the best 14 years a dog could possibly have..

Old 09-08-2015, 12:36 PM

15,675 posts, read 11,525,422 times
Quote:
Completely devastated.
I had her 14 years. She was such a good little dog, I'll miss her terribly. She was always so happy and content to just sit with you and chew a bone. A really loyal, loving dog.

This time last week I noticed she was panting a lot (more than usual). I just figured she was hot, as is often the case with dogs The panting would usually begin after walks. I always walked her in the evening hours as it's just too hot around here during the day and being that she was a teacup Yorkie, she was super tiny (and adorable)... God, I am sick just thinking about it.... and I noticed hours after the walk she would still be panting, so I took her to the vet this week.... And she was diagnosed with a pulmonary disease.... Her lungs were shot... she couldn't get enough oxygen in to breathe so her heart was working extra hard. I paid almost $3 grand to have her put in an oxygen tank in the hopes it would buy her more time. The doctor said by putting her in this oxygen tank and giving her 2 different kinds of meds there's a 50/50 shot she could improve and that would buy her another 4 to 6 months.

I dont know why, but I guess I just wanted anything for her to live, so I paid it and had the treatment done.... over the weekend I left her at the vet to be treated. I knew the end was near, but I thought maybe I could have a few good months left with her. Well, it turns out, no improvement and she was suffering.

I went in to see her one last time in the tank and when she saw me she tried to perk up for me and began to get excited, however she could barely stand up....as she was struggling so bad. It completely broke my heart seeing that. Literally gut wrenching to watch her struggle so much, but I knew I had to make the decision...so what choice did I have? I decided to put her down...... There was no option. I couldn't let her continue to struggle for air. I would have paid all the money I had to save her if I could.... ugh. I hate death so much. I wish she was still here today. One day she's alive the next she's gone. Now, I'm left to sit here... with no dog anymore. I dont even know what to do with myself im so sad.

She's now just a memory. I hate that. I hate that shes a memory now. It's just not as good as physically having her around. All her stuff remains here just as if she's still here, but she's not. It's hard to think that shes not coming back. All her toys...her two beds...her leashes, her bucket of bones and treats I keep...her water bowl and food bowl... damn. I'm gonna miss her.

I would give anything to walk her again or to kiss her on the head

, just wanted to vent.,

I got a Siberian husky for my first birthday present and grew up with him until we had to put him down at 14 as well broke my heart I'm 30 now but still think about him every day

RIP laska

Old 09-08-2015, 01:01 PM

1,615 posts, read 1,641,337 times
Quote:
Completely devastated.

This time last week I noticed she was panting a lot (more than usual). I just figured she was hot, as is often the case with dogs The panting would usually begin after walks. I always walked her in the evening hours as it's just too hot around here during the day and being that she was a teacup Yorkie, she was super tiny (and adorable)... God, I am sick just thinking about it.... and I noticed hours after the walk she would still be panting, so I took her to the vet this week.... And she was diagnosed with a pulmonary disease.... Her lungs were shot... she couldn't get enough oxygen in to breathe so her heart was working extra hard. I paid almost $3 grand to have her put in an oxygen tank in the hopes it would buy her more time. The doctor said by putting her in this oxygen tank and giving her 2 different kinds of meds there's a 50/50 shot she could improve and that would buy her another 4 to 6 months.

I dont know why, but I guess I just wanted anything for her to live, so I paid it and had the treatment done.... over the weekend I left her at the vet to be treated. I knew the end was near, but I thought maybe I could have a few good months left with her. Well, it turns out, no improvement and she was suffering.

I went in to see her one last time in the tank and when she saw me she tried to perk up for me and began to get excited, however she could barely stand up....as she was struggling so bad. It completely broke my heart seeing that. Literally gut wrenching to watch her struggle so much, but I knew I had to make the decision...so what choice did I have? I decided to put her down...... There was no option. I couldn't let her continue to struggle for air. I would have paid all the money I had to save her if I could.... ugh. I hate death so much. I wish she was still here today. One day she's alive the next she's gone. Now, I'm left to sit here... with no dog anymore. I dont even know what to do with myself im so sad.

She's now just a memory. I hate that. I hate that shes a memory now. It's just not as good as physically having her around. All her stuff remains here just as if she's still here, but she's not. It's hard to think that shes not coming back. All her toys...her two beds...her leashes, her bucket of bones and treats I keep...her water bowl and food bowl... damn. I'm gonna miss her.

I would give anything to walk her again or to kiss her on the head

, just wanted to vent.,
Feel so sad for you as today my daughter going through same thing. Her dog and my granddog will be put down this afternoon. He was diagnosed with lymphoma several months ago and vet had him on steroids and pain meds. Didnt care for his usual daily walks but still ate good drank his fluids and played with his toys. Today we knew his time was up as his body is just failing him.Still sitting across his bed breathing heavily unable to stand just looking at us. Wish we could have had it done earlier today. Were just sick as he deteriorated since last Thursday. He is a really large dog and last week someone tried to break into the house and he went into action ran from living room to front door barking wildly, running off intruder. Just celebrated his 11th birthday. We will all recover including yourself, but they will never be forgotton.

Old 09-09-2015, 03:26 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,927,978 times
I am all alone and sad as I lost my good friend and companion Luther on Labor day during the night.

Story goes....had a dog (I named BUD) whos mother was pure Chow so he was a big boy.

Bud later had a son with a Pure Belgium Shepard that belonged to a neighbor so Luther was even bigger then his dad.

Like the saying goes....."Like father like son", they were a match and Luther loved his dad.

Bud died a year ago last Jan after 14 yrs and Luther was 9 and the thing was they were both born the first two weeks of the year in Jan.

Both showed the same symptons for their last two weeks of living in not wishing to eat, just laying down and not moving. Both tried to climb under my car...Bud in the front and Luther under the rear.

In both cases I took them to the Vet who gave them a shot and pills to take which seemed to help for two days.

On Labor day Luther was lovable as always and he did eat most of the food I left in his dish....his last meal.

Tues morning I called him (he slept in the garage with a door open for him to enter the house).....no response.

I saw him laying by the garage door and I called his name expecting the head to rise and his tail thump......nothing.

Well, one going after 14 yrs and the other after 9 yrs I am not complaining as they lived a good life with me.

I just turned 84 last month so my time is coming based upon health issues the last 4-5 months.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs