Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2015, 11:50 PM

216 posts, read 258,273 times

Advertisements

I'm not talking about a professional dog daycare place, just using a house with a yard and charging ~$25/day for people to drop their dogs off there. San Diego, central location near four major freeways. I've been curious about doing this for awhile but have no idea what to expect. Also, between DogVacay and Rover.com, which one is more popular and are there any other similar sites?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2015, 11:59 PM

13,926 posts, read 39,271,700 times
And what are you going to do when dogs get into fights? Are you even allowed to have a Business where you live? You have to be Licienced & Bonded & Insured. What you talking about is called a Boarding Kennel. What are your neighbors going to say to ALL the Barking dogs!!

Old 09-10-2015, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
And what are you going to do when dogs get into fights? Are you even allowed to have a Business where you live? You have to be Licienced & Bonded & Insured. What you talking about is called a Boarding Kennel. What are your neighbors going to say to ALL the Barking dogs!!
I would do whatever is legally required to do so. I've talked to several people who do it and they love it.

Old 09-10-2015, 12:11 AM

13,926 posts, read 39,271,700 times
What kind of dog experience do you have?

Old 09-10-2015, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
What kind of dog experience do you have?
Helped raise a lab.

Old 09-10-2015, 06:00 AM

4,270 posts, read 6,292,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenKiwi View Post
Helped raise a lab.
I personally don't think that's enough experience. I grew up with dogs and have been around them 40+ years. I know dogs. Helping to raise one dog - and a lab at that - is not sufficient to understand dog behavior.

Old 09-10-2015, 06:25 AM

1,024 posts, read 1,276,634 times
Quote:
Helped raise a lab.
As the previous post mentioned, raising a lab is far different than being an experienced dog handler/caretaker. And no offense, labs in general are one of the easiest dogs to train and care for.

Other than the licensing, you will need to puppy proof your house. That may mess up your decor.

I don't know how much money you would make turning your house into a doggie daycare. I do know a neighbor and other sitters who are hired to watch the pet and home. They are paid about $20 - 30 a day. Sometimes they keep the pet in their home for the same charge. Boarding kennels can charge from $25 - 50 a night depending on the services.

By comparing your local competitors, you get a good feel of what you would expect to earn. Selling the idea that "this is a home, not a kennel" to justify higher charges may not appeal to everyone. I know if I want someone to watch my dogs, I wouldn't 1. Pick someone who have no experience with dogs (No offense, but it takes more than raising a lab) and 2. Leave my dogs at a house where there is limited space and I would be held liable should my dogs chew up your home and guests. At least, in boarding kennels, some services provide you with an app where you can check your dogs via phone 24/7. I highly doubt you would want to provide this service in your home.

Those who are successful at this takes years of trust and a list of loyal clients that you need to find. Network, advertise heavy, and convince people why they should trust their pet in your house.

I would recommend volunteering at a local shelter and get some experience working with dogs.

Old 09-10-2015, 06:28 AM

1,727 posts, read 1,986,364 times
Quote:
I'm not talking about a professional dog daycare place, just using a house with a yard and charging ~$25/day for people to drop their dogs off there. San Diego, central location near four major freeways. I've been curious about doing this for awhile but have no idea what to expect. Also, between DogVacay and Rover.com, which one is more popular and are there any other similar sites?
As a potential client, I would want to know what qualifies you to run a dog daycare.

What is your experience with dogs? What is your skill set? Do you understand basic training practices? Are you able to read canine body language? Have you worked for or apprenticed with a trainer or daycare center?

All dogs do NOT get along. Please describe three things that tell you that there is tension between two dogs in your care and what you will do to resolve it.

How will you know that YOUR dog will welcome strange dogs into his home? What steps will you take to help him adjust?

Are you aware that dogs that get along in one situation might not get along in another situation? In other words, dogs that get along out in the yard might not get along when they are together in the house.

Are you prepared to watch the dogs in your care 24/7? Alternately, do you have crates or separate areas in your house to separate the dogs and keep them safe when you can't watch them?

Do you know how to temperament test prospective client dogs to be sure that they will get along with the other dogs in your care?

Do you know how to manage dog-dog interactions?

Are you ready, willing, and able to separate two or three dogs who are fighting? Please describe what you will do. How will you assess the injury to the dog/s and how will you determine who the aggressor was? Are you ready to be bitten, possibly multiple times, in order to separate dogs that are fighting?

What will you do in the event that a visiting dog growls at you and/or approaches you with its hackles up?

What will you do when a dog gets out of your yard? How are you going to explain to the owner that their dog is lost?

I don't think you have a comprehensive understanding of everything that is involved with running a dog daycare. Sure, it sounds like a great idea, but in practice it is an enormous responsibility, and you need a pretty strong skill set in order to make sure all dogs are kept safe.

My advice is to get a couple of years of solid dog experience under your belt; volunteer with a shelter or rescue, talk to reputable trainers and see if they will let you help them run their classes, take classes on canine first aid, attend seminars with reputable trainers/behaviorists, work for a reputable dog daycare, etc. Once you have a solid skill set, a background in training and behavior, and an understanding of the potential liabilities and issues you might face, THEN you can look at doing daycare in your home.

Old 09-10-2015, 06:33 AM

6,848 posts, read 7,986,619 times
I think you need to go to work for a service for a year first. Consider the insurance and business license you will need. Most cities limit the placement of these types of environments.

Old 09-10-2015, 07:54 AM

14,376 posts, read 18,360,681 times
Quote:
Helped raise a lab.
I'm sorry, but that's nowhere near enough experience. Frankly, you wouldn't even be someone I'd trust to come over and let my dogs out into the yard while I'm out for the day, simply because they are herding dogs who are very smart and will walk all over someone who doesn't know how to handle them firmly.

I have a lot of friends who operate in the dog-related services area, and dogs are basically their life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs