Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2015, 07:32 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,344,316 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
Lets face it Driller Not everyone Runs their dog 20 miles a day tied behind a truck. Nor turns them loose to hunt Bears! Most people just want peaceful enjoyment at home being Lazy with their dogs....they are called Pet owners tho I believe they are the ones owned..as the dogs don't have any jobs & the people work their butts off catering to them

Some dogs Need to be tied for Their Safety Done correctly is Not cruel. I know folks that put fencing in & 10 seconds later the dogs over the fence & Gone! I pay to have a 10 foot tall fence special ordered & installed to keep one of my shelties in 10 seconds After I put her in the fencing she was Over the fence & sitting by my side! I was writing the check to pay for something I didn't even need!
Very true.

Our dogs chase bear........not toys.

They was just part of a hunt that got a 350 pound 7 foot bear.

But, don't think I do not love our dogs.........just like the rest of the forum members.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2015, 07:43 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,602,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraDown View Post
I will not tether a dog, that is animal cruelty. Besides, it's illegal (thankfully) where I live.
I'm one of those people who will call Animal Advocate societies, control, etc... if I see this type of human behavior.

Why would I want to tether a dog whose gigantic, needs to run, and has multiple acreage in which to do so?

Please don't answer that question.
I'm with you on not tethering your dog. I wish I could have repped you. The same goes for crates.

Can you put up a temporary fence that will keep your dog from food throwing range? That's what I'd do.

Old 09-29-2015, 07:52 PM

3,671 posts, read 3,557,269 times
Wyoming, me and wife are going to place up chain link this weekend across back part of property. Crazy lady never goes into back yard, so Lee will be safe. Her husband would never feed the dog, nor her kids, so we both think this is a good solution. Nut case is in such ill health, can't make it to back yard.

Yes, never tether a dog, or any animal for that matter... Just bad all around, and sorry to see this thread with posters using it as a vent for that.

May the first person who wants a noose around their neck please stand up?

Last edited by TerraDown; 09-29-2015 at 08:41 PM..

Old 09-29-2015, 09:20 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,344,316 times
Quote:
Wyoming, me and wife are going to place up chain link this weekend across back part of property. Crazy lady never goes into back yard, so Lee will be safe. Her husband would never feed the dog, nor her kids, so we both think this is a good solution. Nut case is in such ill health, can't make it to back yard.

Yes, never tether a dog, or any animal for that matter... Just bad all around, and sorry to see this thread with posters using it as a vent for that.

May the first person who wants a noose around their neck please stand up?
We tether to keep our dogs on our land........unless we are hunting.

The tie-outs just gives them a break from the kennel.

Old 09-29-2015, 11:23 PM

590 posts, read 714,606 times
Quote:
I will not tether a dog, that is animal cruelty. Besides, it's illegal (thankfully) where I live.
I'm one of those people who will call Animal Advocate societies, control, etc... if I see this type of human behavior.

Why would I want to tether a dog whose gigantic, needs to run, and has multiple acreage in which to do so?

Please don't answer that question.

So "tethering" your dog is what you consider to be animal cruelty? Is it not cruel to allow some "nut job" neighbor to recklessly feed your dog their table scraps? Please open up your mind before asking for suggestions. People all over the word "tether" their dogs in an effort to keep them safe. We tie our chocolate lab up, outside, whenever we leave home, to keep him from wandering away and ending up in a dangerous situation. And yes, he does have a doghouse to stay in, a well built insulated one, handmade by me I might add. You might ask why we don't leave him inside? Well quite frankly, our couch and other furniture is not what we consider to be "pet friendly". Call it what you want, but its not animal cruelty. I call it responsible pet owner stewardship. You can easily install what is commonly known as a dog run. Many reputable K-9 breeders in my area do so. A simple 1/4" X 100' cable tightly strung from one tall fence post to another with a pulley on it with a light chain(not cable) attached to the cable pulley with a snap hook that attaches to the K-9s collar is adequate. Please educate yourself, seriously...because your lack of understanding on how to solve the problem is actually more cruel than the problem itself.

Old 09-29-2015, 11:25 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,243,097 times
Quote:
CSD, reading the entire thread might help before commenting.
I did and you are neglecting the supervision of your dog or unable to train the dog not to take food from the neighbor, both of which you have stated in your posts.

Old 09-30-2015, 01:18 AM

2,288 posts, read 3,238,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
I did and you are neglecting the supervision of your dog or unable to train the dog not to take food from the neighbor, both of which you have stated in your posts.

Wow that's wrong and harsh. OP is going to the trouble and expense to keep his beloved Leo safe, and you trash him. And you did it because he doesn't want to tie his pup up! I don't even put collars on mine, as I don't want Anything around their necks.

Old 09-30-2015, 02:42 AM

7,588 posts, read 6,628,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunflower--girl View Post
Ask the owners to tell their renters to stop throwing food waste into your yard.
Yep. That's what I'd do. Let them know that you're telling them as a courtesy, but if it continues, you'll have no choice but to start reporting them to the police every time it happens. No landlord wants to hear that. They're the ones who rented to that idiot, they're responsible for their behavior if they're creating a nuisance.

Old 09-30-2015, 04:00 AM

4,475 posts, read 6,685,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by breeinmo. View Post
Wow that's wrong and harsh. OP is going to the trouble and expense to keep his beloved Leo safe, and you trash him. And you did it because he doesn't want to tie his pup up! I don't even put collars on mine, as I don't want Anything around their necks.
So you just blow off leash laws?

Old 09-30-2015, 04:23 AM

1,961 posts, read 2,253,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crf450ish View Post
So "tethering" your dog is what you consider to be animal cruelty? Is it not cruel to allow some "nut job" neighbor to recklessly feed your dog their table scraps? Please open up your mind before asking for suggestions. People all over the word "tether" their dogs in an effort to keep them safe. We tie our chocolate lab up, outside, whenever we leave home, to keep him from wandering away and ending up in a dangerous situation. And yes, he does have a doghouse to stay in, a well built insulated one, handmade by me I might add. You might ask why we don't leave him inside? Well quite frankly, our couch and other furniture is not what we consider to be "pet friendly". Call it what you want, but its not animal cruelty. I call it responsible pet owner stewardship. You can easily install what is commonly known as a dog run. Many reputable K-9 breeders in my area do so. A simple 1/4" X 100' cable tightly strung from one tall fence post to another with a pulley on it with a light chain(not cable) attached to the cable pulley with a snap hook that attaches to the K-9s collar is adequate. Please educate yourself, seriously...because your lack of understanding on how to solve the problem is actually more cruel than the problem itself.
I wouldn't call all tethering animal cruelty but unsupervised tethering actually can be dangerous. The dog is unable to defend itself or escape from coyotes or other predators depending on where one lives...we are in a suburb but are inundated with coyotes. They've killed dogs here.

Collaring unsupervised can result in choking death. We've had two serious collar incidents in our house...both when one dog's canine got stuck in the other dog's collar during play. If my hubby hadn't been home for the first incident (many years ago) to use the heavy duty bolt cutters to cut the tightly wound chain collar while I held the dogs still, one of our dogs would've choked to death. So we never collar our dogs unless we are taking them off our property for classes, trials, hikes, etc. And I know people who've lost dogs due to collar choking...some during play, some while tethered on a line and others while crated when the collar/tags got stuck between the crate wires.

Just an FYI.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs