Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2015, 06:23 AM

1,727 posts, read 1,980,464 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraDown View Post
I
My next door neighbor 'thinks' she can feed my dog her table scraps. They have a terrible diet, and to top that, she's what my wife and I both consider a lune-toon. So saying something to her is out of the question. Poisoning might ensue, this woman is off her meds-literally, according to her husband.
He is sane, but hen-pecked by the nut-job.
Quote:
Actually, it's like walking on broken glass with her. She really is a 'call the shot' kind of person. You never know how she's going to respond. You can't tell her anything logical. It escapes her, and if she takes it the wrong way, she is the type that could retaliate through hurting my dog.

One minute she's 'OK,' next she's off her rocker. If not handled with kid gloves, gawd only knows what she'll do next.

Her husband is my fishing buddy, imagine the stories of her transgressions I've heard.
Quote:
Twelvepaw, I may have said that in a way you don't understand.
Yes, wife is more volatile than me, but not in a confrontational way, except to me.
She has not confronted neighbor, but lets me know what is going on, and it concerns her, as she loves Leo too. We are both searching for answers.
Not YOUR wife- I was talking about the neighbor's wife, the one who is giving your dog "treats".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2015, 06:25 AM

3,671 posts, read 3,534,688 times
Sorry, misunderstood.

Old 09-29-2015, 06:31 AM

1,727 posts, read 1,980,464 times
Quote:
We are not zoned to place a hard barrier. I have placed vines all over the 5 foot chain link (my fence) by their house as well.
But Banana Anna still keeps it up.
Then I would fence off another section of the yard on the opposite side of the property for your pup.

You might also consider teaching your dog that when loony neighbor wife is out that you or YOUR wife have super yummy treats so that when your dog sees the neighbor's wife instead of making a beeline for her your pup looks to you for treats, games, tug, other fun stuff.

Old 09-29-2015, 06:34 AM

1,663 posts, read 1,904,497 times
It's a shame the woman is able to get away with this but I understand your fear of her poisoning your dog.

Do you have a big yard to where you can put up a temporary fence so she can't call the dog over?

The down side to that is she would probably take to throwing food over and then you would have to take the fence to the next bizarre step and put a top on it.

I would say to report her to Animal Control and file a police report but, you know as well as I do where that would go ------ in a couple directions and none of them good.

As far as tethering the dog. My question is, he is in YOUR yard, HE is not the problem, the nutcase neighbor is, WHY on earth should he be punished by tethering him when that has never been his lifestyle.

Another option would be to bring the dog in the house during the times you can't watch him, even if he has never been a house dog and I know Pyrenees have mega hair. A lot of extra work but your alternatives are slim, short of being able to get the neighbor committed

Good luck and thanks for reminding me why I live on a one lane farm road, that most folks from the burbs and the city are afraid to drive up

Old 09-29-2015, 06:51 AM

24,834 posts, read 37,276,103 times
What if you gave the lady some treats the dog can have???

Tell her it is an order from the dog's vet.

Old 09-29-2015, 06:53 AM

He is a house dog. We live in Florida, and this is a snow dog. Florida winters are when he wants to stay outside more often. Otherwise, dog is in a/c.
I like cheesnuggets idea of digital fence, and twelvepaws ideal of a large, fenced in section on other side of property. My adjacent neighbor is an animal lover, and would totally understand.

Old 09-29-2015, 08:39 AM

Yes Norma, tethering is not an option. Thanks for your thoughts. I'm off work today, think I'll go by Home Depot and pick up some more chain link.

Old 09-29-2015, 08:48 AM

36,499 posts, read 53,926,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twelvepaw View Post
Lovely. So, she/your neighbor has learned that being volatile and unpredictable gets people to treat her with kid gloves and reduces any demands made on her, even reasonable ones like yours.... Oh my.

Since you don't feel comfortable speaking with your neighbor, I think a barrier that prevents your neighbor from reaching your dog is the only solution. What kind of a fence do you have up now on that side of the yard that allows your neighbor to get to your dog? Put up a 7' solid fence around any perimeter that you share with your neighbor. You might even consider leaving the existing fence in place and erecting the new one a foot or two inside the existing one to create a double barrier. Also, that way, since you wouldn't be disrupting the property line by tearing out the existing fence, you really wouldn't owe them any explanation for putting up the new fence.

Hopefully the fishing buddy husband will be savvy enough not to ask for an explanation.... You could always generally say that it was for your dog's safety or to keep coyotes out of your yard or whatever you feel would satisfy him. My dog's safety trumps everything though, so would do whatever I needed to ensure that, and I really don't think you owe your fishing buddy anything other than the most general explanation if that.

Good luck.
I agree. Additional fence or barrier seems like the only answer. Far enough away or high enough to keep her from throwing treats to the dog.

Old 09-29-2015, 09:02 AM

6,304 posts, read 8,992,430 times
I would second (third?) the suggestion of the electronic fence.

Definitely a difficult situation.

Old 09-29-2015, 09:23 AM

4,286 posts, read 4,736,676 times
Tough situation, sounds like chain link or some other hard barrier is the only answer.

As you know the older they get the more sensitive their digestive systems become. If she gives him a bunch of rich food it could trigger pancreatitis.

TerraDown, I know you know, but for anyone reading the thread tethering is a horrible suggestion. It's cruel and can lead to a number of problems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs