Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-31-2008, 09:49 AM

797 posts, read 2,991,829 times

Advertisements

I am looking for first hand info about the French Bulldog. I want to get one to add to our family of 4 children and 2 pugs. I am pretty confident this is the perfect breed to add to our family but I need some more help.

How big are they really?

How much is a fair price?

Are they difficult to train?

What are their unique personality quirks? (eg. pugs LOVE dirty laundry)
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2008, 12:10 PM

4,231 posts, read 15,421,181 times
I don't have one and havent been around them that much but I think they're great little dogs. I think they're about 22-25 lbs but you can google the breed standard for more info, most males w/b larger. A fair price would depend on your area and the pedigree. There's a French Bulldog Rescue group in most states and they may have some available, you'd know the personalities from the foster family and that may be a good way to go, giving a needy dog a loving forever home. I think they're as easy to train as another dog, you'd also not want to let them get overweight b/c like pugs, they can have breathing problems. Like any other pup or dog, get to know its personality before commiting to it, I have seen a few and I know of a couple cases where they've been a bit dog-aggressive, good training can alleviate some of that but you still want to be careful so as to make a wise decision. Best of luck in your search and keep us posted.

Old 01-31-2008, 01:58 PM

1,222 posts, read 5,018,637 times
My parents had two Frenchies. They were great little dogs. They're not huge, probably about the same height as a pug, but not quite as beefy. My parents have other (larger) dogs and cats. The bulldogs were great with the cats and only had a problem with the big dogs if they tried to pick on them.

A fair price would depend on if you're getting a breed/show quality or pet quality. Show quality can be upwards of $1500. Obviously you can get one for a lot less if you just want pet quality. Breed rescues are a great resource, but make sure you find out as much as you can about the dog's history.

I don't know of too many quirks that my parents' dogs had... The female used to hump feet, but other than that nothing really stands out. They really had a sweet disposition, but weren't afraid to put somebody in their place.

I don't think they'll be any harder to train than pugs, so you should be okay there.

Like Honeycrisp said, they are prone to breathing problems - my parents lost there male frenchy when he asperated on his food one evening. He choked before my dad could get to him. Very sad, but unfortunately it's a risk of those types of dogs. The female lived to a fairly old age, but she ended up with cancer.

You may want to try to find a local club or rescue group who might be able to give you lots of info. AKC's website usually has links for all different breed groups. Good luck!

Old 01-31-2008, 01:58 PM

4,948 posts, read 18,691,224 times
they cost from a breeder 2000. and yes they have health problems, unless you go to a good breeder. have you also thought about a boston terrier?

Old 02-01-2008, 11:08 AM

5,324 posts, read 18,265,652 times
Frenchies are the funniest little clowns. My good friend has one and he never fails in making us laugh.

She also has three Pugs and the Frenchie, as should be, a smidgen larger than the Pugs. Sadly too many Pugs are overweight and you should be able to see any dogs waist defined. The Pugs and the Frenchie get along famously.

One thing Spanky will do is hold a grudge even with the smallest bit of discipline LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs