U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2008, 01:46 PM

148 posts, read 641,024 times

Advertisements

question....ok I have no info whatsoever yet because my friend told me about the ad in the paper....

I'm going to look at an alaskan malamute puppy on Saturday. I've read a little on them so I have a little knowledge on their temperament and stuff. So my question is...what should I find out from the person selling them? I don't think she is a breeder..just an owner who happened to have puppies. She is selling them for $700. Is that a good price?

Any info is appreciated!! Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2008, 01:58 PM

7,545 posts, read 16,363,931 times
If she is selling them for $700 shes not an owner who just happened to have puppies. If you are going to spend that much I would check to see if both of the parents are AKC registered first too. Pedigree and whatnot. $700 is alot of $$$$.

Old 01-31-2008, 02:27 PM

4,585 posts, read 10,823,458 times
Also check with the local and national breed organization to see what health related issues come with that breed i. e. hip displaysia...and has both parents been tested for all necessary tests.

Be wary of the "backyard breeder" they are not breeding for quality ect.

I've had an AM and I will tell you they are beautiful but have a mind of their own and are VERY strong...these dogs are still used for pulling ect. and are a working breed.

Call a few local breeders and talk with them, I'm doing research right now on my next dog and have made several visits to local breeders of the different breeds I'm considering.

Getting a dog is a big and long commitment so make sure this is the right dog breed for you!

Old 01-31-2008, 03:42 PM

13,153 posts, read 17,390,244 times
Brian and ReturningWest are both right. She's not an owner who just happens to have pups.

I can see if I can get some referrals for you from a friend who is an AKC judge and whose daughter shows malamutes. She knows the breed very well, and would know good breeders and lines. Would you like me to contact her for you? send me a dm.

Old 01-31-2008, 04:03 PM

1,311 posts, read 5,998,280 times
Like I said in another thread about the Dobie, do your research and feel free to post in this thread what you find and when you have some questions. The people in here are very knowldgeable and willing to go the extra mile to help you out.

Old 02-01-2008, 05:16 AM

148 posts, read 641,024 times
Thanks a lot everyone. Truly appreciate all the info.

So we think $700 is a lot?? Maybe I can talk her down. After I get more info I'll definitely let everyone know! I think I might even call her today before I head over there tomorrow.

Old 02-01-2008, 05:46 AM

1,587 posts, read 6,681,111 times
Look on web and find out any problems and tempers and such.Then ask breeder questions and see if can answer some of the questions on answers you found. Ask this person what gave for shots, worming, microchipping, and such. See if both parents there and how they are raised in a outside pen/kennel, in house or bred somewhere else.
Ask if will take dog back if cannot take care of or if have a contract.
Ask if show dogs,work them or just pets.
Look at prices on different sites see a average of the dogs pricing.

Unsure on price but if just a happen litter think price be more like $200.00 just to make sure going to a good home.
I sell bloodhounds at $650.00 but have all shots,wormed,papers,guarentee's and such and tell truth not make anything when total in vet care of parents,pups and such.

Research before you buy, and ask many many questions.If this person has no questions o you then I be wary.

Old 02-01-2008, 05:56 AM

4,585 posts, read 10,823,458 times
Is $700 a deal? I don't know what a well bred AM would cost at this time...do the research on the net you can visit breeder web sites and get an Idea...however, the price of a dog is the LEAST of your investment and I certainly wouldn't skimp on pricing.

Old 02-01-2008, 06:34 AM

5,233 posts, read 7,725,924 times
I had a gorgeous AM I got at the pound for $75, but the price was not my concern at all. She was very large, very loving, extremely hairy and had a mind of her own. You could literally make pillows out of the fur that came off her in the spring. If you want a dog that will fetch and do tricks, the AM is not for you. If you live in a warm climate, the AM is not for you. They need a lot of space and exercise, or they will let you know they are not happy. They also have a tendency toward hip problems and arthritis.

Mine was amazingly good around everyone, especially kids.

Old 02-01-2008, 08:03 AM

3,412 posts, read 9,203,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davfar View Post
Thanks a lot everyone. Truly appreciate all the info.

So we think $700 is a lot?? Maybe I can talk her down. After I get more info I'll definitely let everyone know! I think I might even call her today before I head over there tomorrow.

First of all, $700.00 is not a lot of money for a Purebreed, health certified, OFA certified, has bloodline papers, parent's on site, NAME, regestration, pedigree, warranties and guarantees. So, i understand she's not a breeder, i'll say do yourself and everyone else a favor and pass on this one.

As been mentioned many many times on this board, by buying pups from Backyard breeders, you're contributing to overpopulation, and misbreeding of dogs.
Please find a decent breeder who will give you guarantee on your puppy that if somethihg is wrong, health problem, genetic issues, etc, they will take it back or replace it. I can bet you, this lady of yours ain't gonna do this. So put your $700.00 for a better use.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or