U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2008, 07:02 AM

20,517 posts, read 26,264,059 times

Advertisements

ReturningWest,

Go for it. I had a doberman 6 years ago and she was the best dog I ever had. I used to live in NC on a large farm so she was able to run all the time, I moved to FL and I just couldn't take her freedom away. She now lives with my previous next door neighbor who has a horse farm. She is an awesome dog.

I got her b/c she was the last one left of the litter and the owner dropped her off at my house. She is a full breed but I never got papers. She was very easy to train(highly intelligent), very loyal. I took her to obedience school and worked with her daily when she was long. She was extremely easy to train. You need to be "the Master" and work with your dog consistently. You will be rewarded over and over. Make sure you also socialize your pup-bring her out to be around people and other dogs often. At the time I got Zena we had a roller skating rink and we used to bring her with us at night. At first she was scared b/c of all the noise but she got used to it quickly and loved the attention from all the kids.
I would recommend a female dog. To me they seem to be easier to train, more loyal, and protective.
Enjoy your new pup.
Lisa
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2008, 08:23 AM

5,826 posts, read 8,625,139 times
Dobermans, now here's a subject I can share on. I was primarily interested in a protection dog. My dobermans were about as protective as the average pet rock. My male would snooze on the front steps and anyone coming up to the house had to step over his snoring self to come in. I guess his tactic was to thwart small people from entering perhaps by being too large a blob for short folks to step over. Yeah, he was a real protector.

When someone knocked on the door and he was in the house, he thought the knock was a cue for him to change positions. But he was excellent for keeping my bed warm on cool nights and for saving my place on the couch when I got up. Well, that wasn't too hard since I lived alone...

I had a mother/daughter pair for a while. The mother never had her tail docked nor her ears cropped. It's amazing how much those two procedures change their overall appearance. The uninitiated would never know there was a registered doberman under those floppy ears and long, wagging tail. They have a striking resemblance to a coon hound when left in their natural state.

I've noticed that people either love or fear dobies. It's no fault of the dog - just of ignorance. Any dog can be trained to protect just as any dog can be trained to be a therapy dog.

You won't have to worry about grooming with a doberman. Their coats are thin and the hairs are straight. A light brushing once a week will do - unless you intend to show. Add a drop or two of vegetable oil in their ration each day and you'll keep their coats glossy year round.

I can't help you on their tracking ability. That's a new one on me. I checked the history of the doberman here: American Kennel Club - Doberman Pinscher History and while there may be some terrier in the original lines, there is no mention of their ability nor use as a tracking dog nor an ability to that end.

Perhaps you should look into having two dogs - a doberman to keep your bed warm and a bloodhound to take you deeper into the interest of tracking dogs.

Old 03-19-2008, 10:33 AM

8,862 posts, read 14,776,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeddieXRuxpin View Post
I have a Doberman/lab mix...

He couldn't be a better companion he's very affectionate. He's full grown and right at 80 pounds, but is the biggest of babies. I've had him since he was 8 weeks old and he was a rescue. He is very smart, while he has his dumb momens, over all he is very well trained. He is also well off leash when we're not in the city. While I trust him, I don't trust the drivers here! When we're out at the lake house he is off leash a lot and always comes when called. He does excellent with other dogs and loves to play with my sisters ferrets. He's very gental. He lives with three dogs and gets along very well with my Shih Tzu.

I've also worked with a Doberman rescue and they were some of the nicest dogs I've met and beautiful. I left because of the people and not the dogs. The dogs were wonderful!
I am seriously considering getting a similar dog as a companion for a small dog and for protection.

Those involved in breed rescue can be, for lack of a better word, intense.

Any mix that involves Lab would be good correct?

I guess there are some 'crazy' labs --I don't think I've ever heard many horror tales. Too many labs end up at the humane society. Wish I could take them all home with me.

Old 03-19-2008, 10:47 AM

7,224 posts, read 15,241,910 times
One of my favorite web sites for researching dog breeds:

Purebred Dogs and Mixed Breed Dogs - Photos of AKC Dog Breeds, Rare Dog Breeds

They have a list of general breed pluses and minuses that's very useful. If you're still in the "search" mode, it'll help you narrow down.

Old 03-20-2008, 09:04 PM

337 posts, read 740,262 times
I grew up with Dobies and had my last one for many years. He was a great dog. He was great with kids, other dogs, cats (he loved them) and almost everyone he met.

There were only 2 times he didn't like a person. 1) someone tried to force their way into the house and my roommate was home and 2) someone tried to kick him. On both occasions, I was glad he did what he did.

With all the ones we/I ever had, they were all great tempered, loving, eager to please, protective, smugglers, playful and always ready for a walk or car ride.

The blues and whites have the most skin/allergy problems. Make sure you get it from a breeder that can show you the male and female. I would recommend one with good champion lines. It will cost you more but, the peace of mind will be worth it.

Old 03-21-2008, 05:40 AM

4,585 posts, read 10,793,091 times
Thanks everyone, however, I've decided not to go with a Dobie as they just have way too many health issues and after having small dogs for so long that live into their middle to late teens I just don't think I could deal with loosing a dog at around 10 years of age.

As one of you said the health issues have become previlant thru out the breed and no lines are "safe" any more.

I've choosen to go with a Standard Schnauzer as they are generally healthy and long lived, the size I want, very intelligent (they are called the dog with the human brain).

I've gone to meet with several breeders and found to a dog they have delightful personallities.

I'll just deal with the grooming issue.

Old 03-21-2008, 02:34 PM

295 posts, read 1,085,242 times
Returning West,
Glad to hear your brain & heart are working together. Mine? Not so much .... I think I'm still hooked on Dobes, despite their health issues and even after recently losing 2 to DCM.

Anyway, to muddy your waters a bit, have you considered Vizslas? I've been seriously considering switching to the Vizsla breed because they are similar to Dobes in many ways but with MUCH better health & longevity, and have not been over-bred. A Vizsla may be a great fit for you. They are in the Sporting Group and LOVE to track, are medium size with short "wash & wear" coats which require little grooming, have great temperaments, are very intelligent and love training; they're affectionate, loyal, velcro dogs with wide ranging sociability. Some of the stories I've heard from V owners reveal that they also have a fun sense of humor.

Old 03-21-2008, 04:37 PM

1,930 posts, read 9,450,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReturningWest View Post
I'm considering this breed and would love to hear from some owners. I'll be visiting a breeder in 2 weeks, so I'd like to be "armed" with the appropriate questions ect.

The few I've been around have been real loves and they have the learning capability I'm looking for.

My biggest concern is their size, I've had small dogs for a very long time, but can't seem to match up a small breed with all my criteria in a small dog...LOL.

Here's what I'm looking for:
1. good sweet temperment
2. the "velcro" dog...one that stays with you
3. easy to obedience train
4. and this is a big one...a wash and wear coat...little matenence ( I had a Lahasa and swore no more big grooming issues)
5. good at tracking (which I've fallen in love with)

My JRT is very loving but can't be trusted off leash even after years of working with him....most days he won't take off but if he gets a whiff of something good and my attention is not 100% ....gone...LOL And he's reached the old gumper age of middle teens (somewhere between 12-15..he's a rescue)...several weeks ago he bolted and I jump in my car and I'm driving 25 mph or so to catch him before he gets to a busy street...I'm rolling along and open my door and call and he's like Oh Hi! and jumps in....grrrr all I can do is laugh at his age this is not going to change.

I'm willing to put in the work but I'd like some results at the end of the day. 90% of the time my Jack will come but there's always the but...LOL.

Anyway, if there's any Dobie owners out there I'd love to hear from you and your thoughts on the breed.
I have never owned a Dobie myself, but I have spent quite a bit of time around the breed. My grandmother use to breed Dobies and my mother grew up with them in her home. I have always loved the breed. Since I was old enough to know what Dobie was, I wanted one! My husband and I now own 3 APBTs, but we started out thinking we were going to get a Dobie. After doing research on APBTs though, they fit everything we want/need in a breed and more! Now, after owning APBTs, they are definitely my breed of choice, but I will always love Dobies! I love their temperament and they are one of the most gorgeous breeds to me! They are just all around wonderful dogs, IMHO.

So yeah, anyway, it sounds like you are on the right track. You have found a breeder you are interested in, and I'm assuming you have done the proper research on the breed and on the breeder. If you buy from a reputable breeder, they will help you pick the perfect puppy for you. The breeder we bought our male APBT from did that for us. It sounds like you know exactly what you want, and it sounds like a Dobie would be a good breed for you, as long as you feel confident that you can handle a large dog like a Dobie. Even though the Doberman breed fits what you want/need in a companion, every dog is an individual, as I'm sure you know. It is very important to talk to the breeder, tell them what you want/need in a puppy/dog and get them to help you pick your perfect puppy. The breeder should know which puppies are have more submissive personalities, which puppies seem to have more dominate personalities, etc, etc, etc. You will also want to make sure the puppy is well adjusted and comfortable around in new places and around new people. You most likely won't want a skittish puppy. Finding a good, reputable breeder that is very educated on their breed and finding the right puppy for you are the first steps in finding the wonderful, lifetime companion you want. I think a lot of people don't take finding a good breeder (or shelter or rescue center) as seriously as they should, and I think a lot of people don't take picking out their puppy as seriously as they should. That is how people end up with a poorly bred dog, a breed that isn't right for them, etc, etc, etc. Oh, and of course, you will want to meet the parents of the litter to see their temperaments, personalities, etc. I'm sure you know all of this, but I had to say it anyway! lol!

Anyway, you wanted to know about the breed.. .. So, I'll get to that now. Again, I haven't owned a Dobie myself, but I do know a bit about the breed, and I have had loads of experience with other powerful, working type breeds. We do own 3 APBTs afterall. APBTs are terriers and a working breed. A lot of people don't think of them as a working breed, or terriers, they just see them as these vicious fighting dogs, which they aren't. They were also bred to be loving family companions, and they were used as cart dogs, butchers dogs, they were used for bull-baiting, bear-baiting, dog-fighting, they were used to catch rats, they were taken on hunting trips to assist the tacking dogs, etc. They are a working breed if there ever was one! lol! As far as any advice I would have for you as a soon to be Dobie owner, I would just recommend that you make sure you are well educated on the breed, and on what they were bred for and their needs, make sure you are willing and able to do everything that needs to be done for a breed like the Doberman, and make sure you are willing and able to raise, train, socialized and control a Dobie. They can be quite a bit of work at times, as all dogs can be, but when you put in the work that you need to and when your a responsible, loving owner, these working type breeds can be the best companion dogs anyone could ever ask for! Dobies need a firm but fair pack leader, they can be pushy if they are allowed to have their way too much. With all dogs it is extremely important that they get the proper training and socialization starting at a young age, but it is critical for these more powerful breeds simply because they can do more damage if something goes wrong, you know? From my experience with stronger working type breeds, it is very important that they see you as the pack leader at all times! It is very important that they are very well trained and socialized, it is very important that they get the daily exercise that they need, and with working breeds, it is very important that they fulfill that working need. With all dogs, but again, especially working breeds and terriers, even if they are well trained, if they don't see you as their pack leader, and as strong, capable pack leader, they won't respect you enough to listen to you.

Dogs are pack animals and they have to have a pack leader. If the owner doesn't take that position right away and work every day to hold on to that position, it is only natural for the dog to take over as the pack leader. And the pack leader doesn't listen to the dogs/people that are under him/her, so a dog that thinks it's the pack leader is not going to be an obedient dog. Please don't take my post the wrong way, I don't want you to think that I'm assuming that you don't know about training and how to handle dogs. I just read over what all I wrote and I think my post could definitely be taken that way, but that's not what I'm trying to do. As I said, my husband and I own 3 APBTs and I LOVE Dobies! All of my favorite breeds are considered "dangerous" breeds, APBTs, AmStaffs, Staffies, Dobies, Rotties, etc. Because so many people only get these breeds to try to look tough or cool, and because my husband and I are really young, it seems like a lot of people think that the only reason I like all of these breeds is because they are the breeds that are considered "dangerous". But that couldn't be farther from the truth! If people would actually do some research on these breeds instead of believing all of the twisted media hype, myths, etc, they would see that when properly bred, raised, trained, socialized and controlled, as all dogs should be, these can be some of the best family companions on earth, hands down! My husband and I are "pit bull" breed/ so-called "dangerous" breed advocates, we want to help educated people on these breeds, and show people, through our dogs, what a huge difference responsible ownership makes. But yeah, that's why I brought up all of the pack leader stuff. I just don't want you to take my post the wrong way. Anyway, back to what I was saying, to me it seems like a lot of people think that being a strong pack leader means you have to be mean to your dog, but if that were the case, I would not be my dog's pack leader. I do not believe in being mean to animals ever, for any reason. There is a huge difference in disciplining your dog and making sure they respect you as their pack leader, and being mean to your dog. With our dogs, while they aren't a naturally vicious breed as so many people seem to think, if we didn't properly socialize them like we did and like all owners should do for their dogs, they would definitely be animal aggressive, because of what they were originally bred for, and they might even be human-aggressive! If we didn't properly train them and if we didn't make sure they know we are the pack leaders at all times, they would be out of control and wouldn't listen to a thing we said. If we didn't give them the proper amount of daily exercise they need and if we didn't provide a way for them to fulfill that working need, they would be destructive. IMHO, the reason these wonderful breeds have the bad reputation they have now, besides the fact that some people only get them to fight them, abuse them and neglect them, is because people will get them without doing the research on the breed first and they won't provide the dog with everything it needs, at least as far as training and socialization go. Again, I'm not saying that is what you are doing so please don't take my post that way.

You said that you are interested in tracking, I know that some breeds are better at that than others, and I don't know much about tracking, but I'm assuming that is really something most dogs can do. Because Dobies are working breeds, I would think that would be a good thing to get them involved in. Anything that gives them a job to do. It can even be something as simple as walking them with a doggy backpack on. They kind of go into that working mindset, plus, they get a lot more exercise in a shorter amount amount of time because of the extra weight they are carrying. I have found, with my dogs, almost anything can be turned into a job, or something that they have to work for. Even training or certain games. They have to use their minds, they are mentally and physically challenged and they are doing something to earn a treat or some praise.

Okay, I have already typed way more than I was planning to, and I kind of got off track a little bit.. lol.. But from what you have said you want in a breed, I feel that a Dobie would be a good breed for you. Again, as long as you feel confident you can do everything that needs to be done for the breed and properly control a Dobie. The only thing that would worry me is the fact that you said you don't really have much experience with larger breeds. I wouldn't suggest breeds like Dobies, Rotties, the 3 "pit bull" breeds, etc, to first time owners or people that havn't had much experience with dogs, but you have had experience with dogs and you aren't a first time owner. As long as you realize that a larger dog is physically more work, which you do, and as long as you are prepared to handle that, which it sounds like you are, everything should work out. You said you want a dog with a "good sweet temperment", as long as you buy from a reputable breeder, and you pick the puppy that is best for you, I am sure you will get a dog with the temperament you want. Dobies are very loving, loyal dogs. You said you wanted "the "velcro" dog...one that stays with you" and that is definitely a Dobie! lol! Because they were bred to be guard dogs, they get attached to their people. As with all breeds, a well bred dog should fit the breed standard, but every dog is different. Dobies can either be a one person type dog or they can be a whole family type dog, it all depends on the individual dog. The 2 Dobies my mom grew up with we both very well bred dogs, they both fit how a Dobie is supposed to be, but they were both very different in ways. Barbie was a red female and she was like the family dog, she loved everyone. Sam was a black and tan male and he was more my gandmas dog. They were both family dogs, but Sam seemed to stick with my grandmother whenever possible. You said you wanted a dog that is "easy to obedience train", a Dobie would definitely fit that. But again, they can be somewhat dominate at times, so you have to be stern with them. You want a dog that requires "little matenence" as far as grooming, and a Dobie would fit that. And you want a dog that is good at tracking. I just read about Dobies and what the breed is good at, it sounds like they are a kind of all purpose working type breed like our APBTs. What I just read said that they are good at tracking, watchdogging, guarding, police work, military work, search and rescue, therapy work, competitive obedience and schutzhund. It sounds like the Dobie is a good breed for you. Good luck with finding your perfect puppy!

Old 03-21-2008, 05:18 PM

253 posts, read 964,276 times
The standard schnauzer sounds like a good match. I've had a couple of German Shorthair Pointers, really good dogs, but their stubborn hard-headed german in them, made it difficult to housebreak quick, that was a challenge with both of them. Everything else was a great dog that pretty much listened. Talk about tracking,,,wow the dog's phenomenal and good with other dogs and people, and velcro isn't the word,,more like stapled to your butt..
Another dog I considered was an Airedale, but I never did research the breed to much. I loved the idea that they didn't shed.
Sounds like you'll have that with the Schnauzer, so cut them short and get him/her groomed regularly. With all the time you've spent researching what you want and coming to a decision, I'm sure you'll be a happy "parent".
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReturningWest View Post
Thanks everyone, however, I've decided not to go with a Dobie as they just have way too many health issues and after having small dogs for so long that live into their middle to late teens I just don't think I could deal with loosing a dog at around 10 years of age.

As one of you said the health issues have become previlant thru out the breed and no lines are "safe" any more.

I've choosen to go with a Standard Schnauzer as they are generally healthy and long lived, the size I want, very intelligent (they are called the dog with the human brain).

I've gone to meet with several breeders and found to a dog they have delightful personallities.

I'll just deal with the grooming issue.

Old 07-20-2008, 10:18 AM

12 posts, read 72,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by returningwest View Post
i'm considering this breed and would love to hear from some owners. I'll be visiting a breeder in 2 weeks, so i'd like to be "armed" with the appropriate questions ect.

The few i've been around have been real loves and they have the learning capability i'm looking for.

My biggest concern is their size, i've had small dogs for a very long time, but can't seem to match up a small breed with all my criteria in a small dog...lol.

Here's what i'm looking for:
1. Good sweet temperment
2. The "velcro" dog...one that stays with you
3. Easy to obedience train
4. And this is a big one...a wash and wear coat...little matenence ( i had a lahasa and swore no more big grooming issues)
5. Good at tracking (which i've fallen in love with)

my jrt is very loving but can't be trusted off leash even after years of working with him....most days he won't take off but if he gets a whiff of something good and my attention is not 100% ....gone...lol and he's reached the old gumper age of middle teens (somewhere between 12-15..he's a rescue)...several weeks ago he bolted and i jump in my car and i'm driving 25 mph or so to catch him before he gets to a busy street...i'm rolling along and open my door and call and he's like oh hi! And jumps in....grrrr all i can do is laugh at his age this is not going to change.

I'm willing to put in the work but i'd like some results at the end of the day. 90% of the time my jack will come but there's always the but...lol.

Anyway, if there's any dobie owners out there i'd love to hear from you and your thoughts on the breed.
check out animal planet. It has about all breeds, temperment, how they are with children, how easy they are to train ect. Lots of information
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or