Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-05-2015, 12:00 PM

21 posts, read 23,977 times

Advertisements

I posted before that I am moving to an apt and there will be a dog park there. What shots are essential/absolute? My dog has rabies and distemperment shots up to date. My dog is 12 going on 13 so she is a senior dog so I do not want anything unnatural in her unless it is absolutely necessary. I cringe every time I use a flea and tick medication on her.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2015, 12:36 PM

1,024 posts, read 1,277,737 times
I would ask your vet for advice. Vaccinations don't prevent disease but helps your pet recover easier and faster on their own. Some vaccinations are not very effective and for your dog, might do more harm than good. With so many other dogs at the park, worms and fleas would be my first concern.

Secondly, dog parks are not supervised by the city. This means there might be some not very well behaved dogs there. Some owners would even bring aggressive dogs inside thinking it's a easy way to socialize them. And then you might run into rambunctious pups who don't know their manners and could jump on your dog, who at this age, may not be as patient.

Just a heads up.

Old 11-05-2015, 12:56 PM

4,286 posts, read 4,761,312 times
Talk to the vet and see what they recommend. I don't know that I would subject a 12-13 year old to a dog park. Seems like it could stress her and at that age IMO there is a big risk of injury.

Old 11-05-2015, 02:28 PM

21 posts, read 23,977 times
Thank you for the advice. I didn't want to talk to my vet because she keeps trying to sell me on unnecessary things.

I am not going to let my dog into the dog park but she is going to go near it as she is obsessed with smell. So, I didn't want her to "catch" anything smelling other dogs' waste and maybe running into them while walking.

She is also on heartworm meds which I forgot to mention.

Old 11-05-2015, 03:33 PM

1,961 posts, read 2,252,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toully View Post
Thank you for the advice. I didn't want to talk to my vet because she keeps trying to sell me on unnecessary things.

I am not going to let my dog into the dog park but she is going to go near it as she is obsessed with smell. So, I didn't want her to "catch" anything smelling other dogs' waste and maybe running into them while walking.

Sounds like you and your vet are not a good fit. Consider looking for a holistic vet. VetFinder – Find a Holistic Veterinarian | American Holistic Veterinary Medical Association

If your dog has been vaccinated for distemper and parvo after the age of 16 weeks even just once then she is very likely protected for life. Same prolly goes for rabies...a study Duration of Immunity Study for Rabies Vaccine - Rabies Challenge Fund is underway. But rabies vaccination is state law mandated so you don't have a choice unless you can get an exemption from your vet based on health issues or you wanna break the law. Be careful if you decide to break the law...if your dog stays home then prolly no worries but if you are out and about your dog could get involved in a bite incident (never say never...what if an aggressive dog attacks yours and in attempting to separate them you or the other dog's owner is inadvertently bitten by your dog) and then your dog must be quarantined.

The usefulness of the other vaccinations...lyme's, kennel cough, lepto, etc...is dubious at best. The vaccines don't cover all the agents that cause the diseases and the immunity is of short duration. Plus the diseases are typically not serious for a dog owned by an observant and careful owner since timely and appropriate veterinary care resolves the disease.

Old 11-05-2015, 04:47 PM

13,926 posts, read 39,292,628 times
DHLPP + C & Kennel Cough That & Rabies is what is required to even take a dog into our dog parks. Its also what my LL requires.

Old 11-06-2015, 10:37 AM

32,647 posts, read 48,028,221 times
Definitely Parvo vaccination is needed. You'll want distemper, too. The standard combination shot should do the trick, plus keeping teh rabies shot up to date.

For a senior citizen, I'd do the kennel cough shot. Kennel cough isn't usually fatal, but it makes the dog miserable and it would be extra hard on an older dog.

Put the dog on a scheduled de-worming program and keep on top of the flea treatments.

Old 11-06-2015, 11:33 AM

1,961 posts, read 2,252,980 times
This link, and the three included links, will teach you everything you need to know about vaccinating your dog. The articles are written by an excellent holistic veterinarian and the interviews are with Dr. Ronald Schultz of the University of Wisconsin Veterinary School. Dr. Schultz is considered the world leader in canine vaccination issues and vaccinosis.

The Truth About Pet Vaccinations | Part 1

Old 11-06-2015, 01:58 PM

4,286 posts, read 4,761,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toully View Post

Makes sense. I'd look for a new vet that you're comfortable with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs