U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2008, 10:41 AM

13,291 posts, read 25,455,947 times

Advertisements

... to everyone involved in rescue, retraining, shelters, humane education...

I just adopted a ten-year-old mutt named Artie from the Animal Control shelter (ten cages) in West Warwick, Rhode Island. They aren't a no-kill, and Artie came to them from terrible abuse, emaciated, aggressive-fearful, most of his fur fallen out. So many volunteers and staff gave their all to this dog, and I bumped into him on Petfinder. So many people love him, and I get to adopt him, as older mutts who can't live with kids are my specialty (and of course, like anyone, I have a special feeling for those who have been abused/neglected).

What a joy it is to see him sleeping happily on his bed, or warming up to love and attention almost overnight. It's also a great joy to me to email his shelter people and tell them of his happiness, my pleasure at his company, and I give thanks to all the volunteers and staff who are in the trenches for the animals. All I have to do (can do) is write checks and, when possible, adopt a new friend. (Now up to six- I think that's my maximum).

Thank you, animal care workers and volunteers. And thanks from Artie, Dodger, Eloise, Snoopy and Ezra. None of them would have a home without the commitment of caring people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2008, 10:46 AM

1,969 posts, read 5,385,527 times
Awww - enjoy your new addition! Artie sounds like he's going to be loved a lot. That's great!

Old 02-01-2008, 11:09 AM

4,654 posts, read 15,734,604 times
Congrats on your new forever friend.

Old 02-01-2008, 11:13 AM

1,808 posts, read 5,857,530 times
Yay for Artie! Can you post a picture?

Old 02-01-2008, 11:48 AM

13,153 posts, read 17,369,293 times
I second that sentiment for all who work in rescue! They're a wonderful bunch of people.
And I commend you for taking an older dog - the older animal is so often the unwanted one. You have truly a good heart! (We can see it, it lights up the screen).

Artie is a lucky, lucky dog, and we are lucky to have you in the forum.

Best to you both (well, actually, to all of you in your full house)

Old 02-01-2008, 11:51 AM

1,311 posts, read 5,993,579 times
You can't share this awesome story with us and not leave a few pictures of these lucky guys! I'm a regular on Petfinder myself counting down the days when I live in a place where I can get a dog of my own. (Borrowing my mom's dogs for the time being. LOL) I have to be picky because I have two cats, but can't wait!

Thanks for sharing! I hope other members share their stories. The more sucess stories, the more people will look to rescuing other dogs! It's called modivation.

Old 02-01-2008, 11:58 AM

5,000 posts, read 14,428,097 times
How cool. You've got such a big heart. All your four legged family members are very grateful for what you do for them. I agree, post a family picture.

Old 02-01-2008, 01:08 PM

3,412 posts, read 9,196,501 times
What a great story, and THANK YOU for doing what you doing to save poor souls. I commend you for your work!!!!

Old 02-01-2008, 01:58 PM

13,291 posts, read 25,455,947 times
Thank you for your kind words.

Here's Artie's post on petfinder. Note the Adopted! in the upper right corner. Also note the THREE references to "poor Artie" in his description. They sure know how to push my buttons.

Adopt Artie (VERY URGENT - Australian Cattle Dog/Blue Heeler Dog [Mix] - Adopted!

And here's what the woman at the shelter emailed me today. This is so poignant:

"One of our volunteers came in yesterday he's been out for a few weeks due to a surgery but came back yesterday. He ran right over to Artie's cage because he was his best buddy. Angelo wanted Artie in the worst way but where he lives no pets are allowed and he'll be moving soon to an elderly complex which will allow him to have a dog but the dog whould have to be 25 pounds or under so it still left Artie out. Angelo's first words were where's Artie? I told him he got adopted. He didn't believe me at first because we tend not to tell the voluneers or try not to if we had to euthanize them ( just saves them from the heartake). I told Angelo I would tell him I know things weren't looking good for Artie when he went out for his surgery but I told him you came along and has a lot of exsperance with dogs that need a little patients. I then showed him your emails. He started crying. To see a big man like Angelo 6'4" over 300 pounds cry over being happy for a dog was very touching. He kept saying 'That's so nice. He's going to be okay'."

Old 02-01-2008, 02:01 PM

2,885 posts, read 1,503,497 times
I am so glad he was able to feel comfortable with you so quickly! That is extremely encouraging. Good for you and thank you so much for sharing and allowing us to consider helping dogs such as these.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or