Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2015, 06:34 PM

21 posts, read 23,979 times

Advertisements

I posted before that I am moving into a small apt with my large dog. I just bought her a big orthopedic bed partly to "bribe" her into liking the apt. I also want to designate her space because she always gravitates towards a door and I am hoping to keep her away from a door this time. I work at home so I will have a workstation and next to that will be a dining table (apt is small!). My desk will likely be facing the window.

She loves small and dark places but there is going to be a big window in the room and there will be no room under the my desk or the dining table. She is not crate trained and she is big (probably a German shepherd or anatolian mix) with hip problems.

Any suggestions on where to put a dog day bed? Any ideas on how to make her space dark and private with a big window in a small room present? She is a senior dog so I am trying to create a space for her to be comfortable and where she can feel secure in a new environment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2015, 09:36 PM

13,926 posts, read 39,297,259 times
Katie is beside my bed. When young she rarely used it ... got in bed with me Now at 10+ she uses it a lot.

Old 11-15-2015, 09:57 PM

569 posts, read 552,445 times
My lap dog bed was at the feet of my single bed. I meant the bed was next to mine's feet. I saw each other into sleep, provided he didn't jump into mine or got kicked off by me. And my desk was under an window, that sometimes I felt I was the clerk of an evidence room.

Old 11-15-2015, 10:04 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,737,137 times
I gave up on dog beds. Reason? Yeah, they used them some times, but to illustrate what they usually do, I'll tell you what is going on right this minute:

I'm on my bed, typing this, right now. I am barely hanging on to the ledge because one of my dogs, the smaller one no less - she's only 26 pounds, she's NOT THAT BIG - has hogged up the entire bed, and firmly planted her butt against my legs...you know, so that she can move just a tiny bit and "secretly" push me further off the bed every couple of minutes.

I wouldn't have it any other way.

Do you have a rule about your dog being on your bed, or is it too high for your dog? If you live in a small space, sometimes you have to compromise. If you are settled on the day bed thing, do you have room to put it at the end of your bed?

Old 11-16-2015, 12:45 AM

569 posts, read 552,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toully View Post
I posted before that I am moving into a small apt with my large dog. I just bought her a big orthopedic bed partly to "bribe" her into liking the apt. I also want to designate her space because she always gravitates towards a door and I am hoping to keep her away from a door this time. I work at home so I will have a workstation and next to that will be a dining table (apt is small!). My desk will likely be facing the window.

She loves small and dark places but there is going to be a big window in the room and there will be no room under the my desk or the dining table. She is not crate trained and she is big (probably a German shepherd or anatolian mix) with hip problems.

Any suggestions on where to put a dog day bed? Any ideas on how to make her space dark and private with a big window in a small room present? She is a senior dog so I am trying to create a space for her to be comfortable and where she can feel secure in a new environment.
Edited: Sorry that I missed your question for the first time.

I meant my dog could see me all the time during the nights, so the pet bed was not right at the end of my single bed; instead it was put next to the rear of my bed. And his bed was located next to my inexpensive fabric closet, which blocked the view of the entrance. Therefore, his place was private indeed. Furthermore, the window and desk were 45 degrees the leftside of his bed and the closet. So his resting was not cool and dim, yet he could see the window, which were of the fuzzy glasses. And right across his bed were my bookshelves and stereos; musics for all.

Old 11-16-2015, 06:37 AM

21 posts, read 23,979 times
Thank you for your replies.

I forgot to mention that I do have a bedroom and I will put a bed for her there too close to mine. It would be ideal for her to stay in the room while I work in the other room as it will be quieter and the space is private but she likes to keep an eye on me so that is why I am trying to create a space for her in my tiny work space/dining room.

Old 11-16-2015, 07:04 AM

1,727 posts, read 1,988,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toully View Post

You might not be able to meet her preferred criteria of small and dark. I would put the dog bed in a corner or other out of the way spot where she can see you. She will adapt to the less-than-ideal location.

Put one of your old sweatshirts or t-shirts on the bed. When she is out of the room, put treats on her bed so she finds them there, and toss her treats when she settles on her new bed.

It will take her time to settle in but she should be fine. After all, she is with you, and that is what is most important to her.

Old 11-16-2015, 07:29 AM

1,843 posts, read 3,058,562 times
If she likes small dark palces, what about a corner, like between 2 couches? I find that my smaller dog (yorkie) always ends up laying right in front of my feet when I'm at my desk, so just a warning this could happen to you (she also likes smaller, more 'protected' spaces, but she also loves the sun). You could try right next to the desk, as well. You may just have to play it out for a while and see where she likes to lay the most. I was surprised to find that our new rescue, who is a huge couch potato, actually lies right at the top of the stairs when we are not home. So, during the day I put her bed there.

Old 11-16-2015, 08:12 AM

6,591 posts, read 24,860,312 times
I use the empty space under my bed...dark, small, otherwise not doing much (still room for a couple of under bed boxes too)

Old 11-16-2015, 08:18 AM

4,876 posts, read 4,206,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxywench View Post
I use the empty space under my bed...dark, small, otherwise not doing much (still room for a couple of under bed boxes too)

Yeah, but where does your dog sleep?? lol

OP, sometimes you have to see where the dog goes, then put their bed in that spot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs