Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2008, 09:27 PM

3,493 posts, read 7,932,925 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbondated View Post
I'm confused, by this post.
Is the OP looking for a "market" for pet therapy ("in this case, a beautiful 2 yr old Golden Retriever")?
Or is the OP looking for a trained therapy dog to go visit his wife in a nursing home?

As already stated, therapy dogs are provided free of charge by wonderful volunteers.
It is the nursing home Administrator that you should contact, should you desire pet therapy for your wife. Most LTCF's have a pet therapy program already in place and are used in conjunction with other forms of therapy. Again, ask the Administrator of your wife's facility. They are knowledgeable about pet therapy and probably have contacts in already in place. Additionally, if you can not speak with the Administrator of the facility, contact the Activities Director, who are normally in charge of scheduling pet therapy programs.
I think he was using the "My wife is in a nursing home" scenario as an example of his perception of the potential need for someone to want pet therapy on a scheduled basis rather than as a volunteer service. Though I understand his thought process, I can't imagine this going over well. Kind of like marketing Brownie Troops to come to the nursing home and sing Christmas carols.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2008, 07:57 AM

5,826 posts, read 9,607,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinetreelover View Post
Kind of like marketing Brownie Troops to come to the nursing home and sing Christmas carols.
Outstanding analogy! - would have repped you for this, but did too recently.
[quote=Carbondated;2715321]I'm confused, by this post.
Is the OP looking for a "market" for pet therapy ("in this case, a beautiful 2 yr old Golden Retriever")?
Or is the OP looking for a trained therapy dog to go visit his wife in a nursing home?[/quote
The OP first wanted to know how to "break into the business" with his own dog. Then when we all tried to educate him that this is not a "business" but a matter of volunteerism, he then posted what appeared to be a classified ad of someone looking for a therapy dog as the basis for their being a "market" for a volunteer with a therapy dog. He's trying to justify his using his dog [without specialized training or CDC certification] to make a living.

Old 02-04-2008, 10:24 AM

13,926 posts, read 39,288,552 times
I think that you are right AliceT....Moderatore edit

Last edited by deegers; 02-04-2008 at 11:45 AM.. Reason: Off topic

Old 02-05-2008, 07:02 AM

7 posts, read 42,025 times
Hi. Thank you for the information.

Old 02-05-2008, 07:53 PM

4,948 posts, read 18,692,145 times
people do this for free, why, first they love there pets, second they want the best for there pets, and they do the traning, why, free, it helps the dog, the person and them,
it is called giving back, someday it may be you. I do not see it as a business unless you have, mega money-to insure etc. and let the papers or tv get wind of this! GOOD BUY PUBLIC RELATIONS. also some people enjoy pets, and have no money, called medicaid, therefore, you, and your dog are not allowed to visit, yup, the dog would,free. What a wonderfull world we have. My dogs always went to visit my mother, and any one else-
they enjoyed it, as the people and me. the cost 0. it was called, giving back, or the dogs so happy with people! the money factor? I would say no.

Old 02-05-2008, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AliceT View Post
For starters, the therapy dogs are trained as therapy dogs. Just because your dog is friendly or "obedience trained" does not qualify the animal as a therapy dog.

Second, People who have therapy dogs offer this service all across the nation without a fee. It's a matter of people caring about other people.

If you put a price on it, without viable references, it would likely land you in jail as a scam artist feeding on the elderly or the relatives of the elderly.

Police don't take kindly to people taking advantage of the elderly or the infirm or the very young.

The local chapter of the ASPCA would likely get involved as well, as it would appear you are trying to make a living using your dog in a scam.
like a child lost, or a major u s problem-people do this free, they love the dog and people look at 911 and all the great dogs that came to search and rescue! Free, and comfort-also kids, the elderly one day it may be you or me. I also do not see, when it is free, why would a place hire for money, then let some person who wishes to see the dog get a no, why you are not paying the bucks. very sad-and that person may be alone, and in need of a golden. my bichon, saw a person, went to the room, he did pet her, and his daughter said how great the dog, angel was-he died at peace, and happy. a million dollars could not buy this. The Bichon, was so happy-doing her job, and she was only like a visitor. not a trained dog etc., just doing what I do best! Love

Last edited by maggiekate; 02-05-2008 at 08:22 PM..

Old 02-05-2008, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbondated View Post
I'm confused, by this post.
Or is the OP looking for a trained therapy dog to go visit his wife in a nursing home?

As already stated, therapy dogs are provided free of charge by wonderful volunteers.
It is the nursing home Administrator that you should contact, should you desire pet therapy for your wife. Most LTCF's have a pet therapy program already in place and are used in conjunction with other forms of therapy. Again, ask the Administrator of your wife's facility. They are knowledgeable about pet therapy and probably have contacts in already in place. Additionally, if you can not speak with the Administrator of the facility, contact the Activities Director, who are normally in charge of scheduling pet therapy programs.
also, many nursing homes have live in pets, birds, cats, and dogs they are loved, and, and visit free. the new age, for the baby boomers. yes, it is real

Old 02-07-2008, 10:46 PM

1,587 posts, read 7,525,776 times
I take my hounds to schools,day cares and such to teach kids about SAR and what to do when lost and it is training for the dogs as socializing is part of SAR training.I have thought about taking them to nursing homes but afraid if one spooked a beller from them may give someone a heart attack. If was asked would bring anyone of them in for free as I know what a dog can do when sick or laid up for some reason and the dogs can always make you feel better as they do not judge,or discriminate they only care and if more humans did that this world would be such a better place.

Old 02-07-2008, 11:40 PM

1,930 posts, read 10,172,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trailways View Post
Hi. I'm curious whether or not there is a market out there for therapy dogs visiting nursing homes. Assuming the dog is trained as a therapy dog (in this case a beautiful 2 year old Golden Retriever). I was wondering if relatives would pay for a 30 minute to an hour visit to their loved one in a nursing home, particularly during the holidays. Perhaps a fee of $20 for 30 minutes? 10 visits for $150?
I don't know too much about this, though I have always wanted to see how to get our dogs involved in it. But, a friend of ours does that. Her APBT is a therapy dog and they go to nursing homes, hospitals, etc, etc, etc. I don't know if it is always done for free because like I said, I don't know much about it, but our friend doesn't charge anything. She does it in her spare time because she loves it and her dog loves it.

Old 03-14-2008, 04:45 PM

16 posts, read 81,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trailways View Post
Hi. I'm curious whether or not there is a market out there for therapy dogs visiting nursing homes. Assuming the dog is trained as a therapy dog (in this case a beautiful 2 year old Golden Retriever). I was wondering if relatives would pay for a 30 minute to an hour visit to their loved one in a nursing home, particularly during the holidays. Perhaps a fee of $20 for 30 minutes? 10 visits for $150?
Came across this post while browsing. I'm sure there is a market for a therapy dog service. I don't think the negative reactions to your post are justified. Volunteers can't be relied upon for a service that increasingly is being recognized as having a wide range of benefits. There are many clinicians who charge for services that involve therapy dogs. I know of two social workers who use therapy dogs as part of child psychotherapy. Volunteers can be incredibly skilled in making the best of a therapy dog visit, or they can be completely clueless or even harmful. There is no quality control. I don't see a fee-for-service therapy dog program as being any different than any other adjunctive therapy. If you market your program right, you may be onto something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs