U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2008, 11:32 AM

1,363 posts, read 5,429,970 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoaminRed View Post
If you have fear of getting bit, your dog will know it. Obviously she doesn't see you as alpha to her. Me...I'd just take it anyway and risk getting nipped. But that's me. If she did nip me, I'd immediately put her down on the floor in a submissive position while saying loudly "No biting! No biting!" It helps if you slightly pinch their neck (like another dog would when holding another dog down with his mouth). This has worked very quickly with all of the dogs I've had. Your mileage may vary, and I'm sure there are other methods of untraining biting behavior.

That's what my husband says and does. Usually, so do I and she listens well to me, and if I do correct her or put her in check for something she comes to me submissively like she's apologizing, but this one area just unnerved me this weekend. I'll give it a try again tonight. She's not getting the new bone now until our daughter goes to sleep-just in case-so I'll see how she does tonight. If the ER has internet access, I'll let you know how it went.

Thanks dogpaw-I'll check out that link.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2008, 11:33 AM

1,055 posts, read 4,302,249 times
I just re-read your post. I don't believe in taking food away from a dog while they are eating, I think they should be allowed to eat without someone being there bothering them. This bone is very tasty and she must really like it and thats why she is guarding it because she knows your going to take it away from her like you do her food. So in doing that with her food you have most likely created this problem yourself.

I have never bothered my dogs when they are eating. I can take any bone or toy away from them at anytime. If your afraid of getting bit then wait until she leaves the bone and take it away.

You need to start letting her know who is in charge. The NILIF will help.

Old 02-04-2008, 11:35 AM

1,311 posts, read 5,997,333 times
I agree that this is unacceptable behavior and she knows your fear now. Either you never give these kinds of bones to her again, or you have to make it clear she is not allowed to show agression. I know people who have dogs that test the waters of agression and they litterally flip the dog on it's back and hold it in place until it relaxs to show that the owner is the one that calls the shots. Their dogs never did it again. Do you have to do this? I have no idea for sure, but bottom line is put on some heavy gloves and clothing and go in. If a bite occurs address right there with a water bottle and spray her face saying NO bite! I ussually use my dissapointing tone in my voice which makes our dogs very aware that they just did something bad.

Moral of the story here is don't let her scare you. I think the fact that you are doing all the right things with her and your husband, shows you will suceed here. Good luck!

Old 02-04-2008, 11:45 AM

2,238 posts, read 8,878,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by regarese View Post
That's what my husband says and does. Usually, so do I and she listens well to me, and if I do correct her or put her in check for something she comes to me submissively like she's apologizing, but this one area just unnerved me this weekend. I'll give it a try again tonight. She's not getting the new bone now until our daughter goes to sleep-just in case-so I'll see how she does tonight. If the ER has internet access, I'll let you know how it went.

Thanks dogpaw-I'll check out that link.
When she comes back to you submissively, you should ignore her. Don't pet her and say "Oh that's better, good dog" or whatever . Ignore her until enough time has passed that she's forgotten about it, THEN you can pet her and pay attention again. Removal of positive attention is one of the best ways to get your dog to comply. By showing her attention during/right after a discipline situation, she's in control of the situation and in doggy-brain, that means she's still alpha.

Old 02-04-2008, 11:50 AM

Your dog has already shown signs of agression, fliping her over on her back and holding her there may not be a good idea. Someone could get hurt and now you have a bigger problem. A alpha roll should only be done by someone that knows what they are doing. Growling, to me is not a good enough reason to do that. Lots of training, treats and praise.

Old 02-04-2008, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogpaw View Post
I just re-read your post. I don't believe in taking food away from a dog while they are eating, I think they should be allowed to eat without someone being there bothering them. This bone is very tasty and she must really like it and thats why she is guarding it because she knows your going to take it away from her like you do her food. So in doing that with her food you have most likely created this problem yourself.

I have never bothered my dogs when they are eating. I can take any bone or toy away from them at anytime. If your afraid of getting bit then wait until she leaves the bone and take it away.

You need to start letting her know who is in charge. The NILIF will help.

We don't take her food away. My husband will put his hand in her bowl on occassion to make sure she's not aggressive toward him, and on occassion taken the bowl for the same means, but it is not a regular occurrence. Normally, I would agree with you, and just leave her be-she wants her bone, it's hers, so be it, but I have a two year old so I don't want there to be any incidents if she walks too closely to the dog while she's got the bone or anything like that. And we're "working with the 2 year old" too to keep her AWAY from the dog while she's eating. We really are trying to set "the girls" up for success, but want to train for the proper behaviour. I SHOULD be able to take any bone or toy from her, that's why this concerned me this weekend. Maybe I mis-spoke in a previous post, but we're definately not teasing her or anything like that with her food or treats. If it's taken away it's for a reason (bedtime, we're going out somewhere, etc.). Like the two year old, Shelby can't everything she wants when she wants it and sometimes we need to take things away . Thanks for your thoughts-they're appreciated.

Old 02-04-2008, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deegers View Post
I agree that this is unacceptable behavior and she knows your fear now. Either you never give these kinds of bones to her again, or you have to make it clear she is not allowed to show agression. I know people who have dogs that test the waters of agression and they litterally flip the dog on it's back and hold it in place until it relaxs to show that the owner is the one that calls the shots. Their dogs never did it again. Do you have to do this? I have no idea for sure, but bottom line is put on some heavy gloves and clothing and go in. If a bite occurs address right there with a water bottle and spray her face saying NO bite! I ussually use my dissapointing tone in my voice which makes our dogs very aware that they just did something bad.

Moral of the story here is don't let her scare you. I think the fact that you are doing all the right things with her and your husband, shows you will suceed here. Good luck!
Thanks. This is the first time she's done this with us, so I don't want to take them away just yet. We are keeping the new one in the pantry until our daughter is in bed or in her play area which is in an area the dog does not have access to yet. I'm not comfortable flipping Shelby on her back. I want her to know I'm in charge, but I would like to find a different way to do it. #1-she's heavy and #2-I feel bad. It may work for others, that's great for them, I'm just not comfortable with it. I'm not against physically restraining her-just not that way. She definately knows my disappointed voice and will do well with dropping things when I tell her, or leave things that I tell her to leave, so that's coming along nicely. Thanks again.

Old 02-04-2008, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoaminRed View Post
When she comes back to you submissively, you should ignore her. Don't pet her and say "Oh that's better, good dog" or whatever . Ignore her until enough time has passed that she's forgotten about it, THEN you can pet her and pay attention again. Removal of positive attention is one of the best ways to get your dog to comply. By showing her attention during/right after a discipline situation, she's in control of the situation and in doggy-brain, that means she's still alpha.
And here I am thinking I'm doing a good thing by getting her to know that she did something wrong. LOL. My cats are so much easier-Sheesh!! Thank you though. I will remember this the next time she does this.

Old 02-04-2008, 01:23 PM

regarese.....I totally agree, she should not be allowed to have the bone if she is going to act that way with it. I guess I would just not let her have it until I was certain that she knows that if she has that one bone and you want it, it's yours.

Sounds like your doing what you need to do. As far as the alpha roll, glad your not going that route. IMO it should only be done in extreme cases and by someone that knows what they are doing.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Old 02-04-2008, 02:16 PM

Thanks Dogpaw

Am I overreacting or should I be concerned?-shelby-brina.jpg

This is the other pic I was trying to attach this morning. Here she is with an old bone that, as you can see with my daughter right there, is no problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or