U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2008, 11:14 PM

8,204 posts, read 32,227,931 times

Advertisements

I'd also suggest the next time you give her the bone (and I would wait a while before doing so....have some breathing space from the incident), don't just give it to her, let her see you with your dog bone.

Hold the bone, examine it, just sit with your bone for a while (5 or so minutes) and make your dog watch in a "sit" position. When you are ready, give her the bone but don't let her snatch it from you, she has to take it gently.

This way, the bone is a gift from you, not an assumed right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2008, 06:21 AM

1,363 posts, read 5,437,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riveree View Post
I'd also suggest the next time you give her the bone (and I would wait a while before doing so....have some breathing space from the incident), don't just give it to her, let her see you with your dog bone.

Hold the bone, examine it, just sit with your bone for a while (5 or so minutes) and make your dog watch in a "sit" position. When you are ready, give her the bone but don't let her snatch it from you, she has to take it gently.

This way, the bone is a gift from you, not an assumed right.

Thanks-I like this idea too.

Old 02-05-2008, 09:03 AM

395 posts, read 1,250,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoaminRed View Post
This is unacceptable behavior. You must never let your pet get away with showing aggression when you try to take something from them. When she does something like that, you need to sharply tell her "NO GROWLING", then say something like "GIVE" and then take the item away from her. A few minutes later, you can give it back and repeat the process after a while. Show her that she cannot refuse to let you have it, and you won't put up with her growling and showing her teeth over it.
I agree with this! At least take her to a pro and tell them you want to be rid of this problem. A good trainer or something like that...Even if this happens only once it could get worse over time....

Old 02-05-2008, 09:08 AM

39,333 posts, read 18,829,855 times
I agree with dogpaw and would get rid of the bone and not replace it. Since you can't safely take it from her it will re inforce the negative behavior by letting her continue to have it in your presence. She is "winning" and you are definately "loosing" the entire time this is playing out.

Old 02-08-2008, 08:11 AM

1,055 posts, read 4,315,024 times
Just wondering how things are going?

Old 02-08-2008, 09:34 AM

1,969 posts, read 5,396,636 times
We had this problem with my chocolate lab right around the same age. It didn't last long....and he was the most gentle and sweetest dog ever! We miss him terribly. Anyhoo- what we did is this: we sat on the floor with him and only let him chew on the bone while we were holding it. And then every once in a while we'd take it away for a sec. give him a little love and then give it back. We didn't have to do it for long. Its a trust issue...she just wants to know that she's going to get it back. Try that. Good luck!

Old 02-08-2008, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogpaw View Post
Just wondering how things are going?
It's going ok. I give her the bone at night after my daughter is in bed. I've been holding it and making her "sit" and "wait" for it. I hold if for a little bit while she has her mouth on it too. She's not grabbing it from be so that's good. She growled a little last night with it, but then just took it and ran off with it. She's soooooo good with everything else, I'm still just kind of upset that she reacted this way.

Old 02-08-2008, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nic529 View Post
We had this problem with my chocolate lab right around the same age. It didn't last long....and he was the most gentle and sweetest dog ever! We miss him terribly. Anyhoo- what we did is this: we sat on the floor with him and only let him chew on the bone while we were holding it. And then every once in a while we'd take it away for a sec. give him a little love and then give it back. We didn't have to do it for long. Its a trust issue...she just wants to know that she's going to get it back. Try that. Good luck!
That's really reassuring. Thank you. I like this method too. It sounds like a good way to show her we're not trying to deprive her of the treat or anything like that.

Old 02-08-2008, 09:11 PM

1,479 posts, read 7,038,595 times
Originally Posted by nic529
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This is a very good idea. Another thing to try along with this is to train your dog to trade. Once the dog has the bone, offer a tasty treat, like a small piece of cheese, say "Give" and get him to trade you the bone for the treat. That reinforces the trust and teaches that all good things come from you.

Old 02-09-2008, 10:21 AM

5,233 posts, read 7,740,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nic529 View Post
Best answer here by far. I had a Husky/Malamute that would do this and then later proceed to let a two year old poke her jaws and face and climb all over her. It's not any dominance/alpha issue. It's a trust issue with her favorite thing in the world.

With my dog (who I still miss terribly,too) I did a similar thing as nic529. The ONLY "aggression" she had in her entire 12 years was with her bone and it got much better when she knew she would get it back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or