U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2008, 09:25 AM

1,363 posts, read 5,436,646 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nic529 View Post
We had this problem with my chocolate lab right around the same age. It didn't last long....and he was the most gentle and sweetest dog ever! We miss him terribly. Anyhoo- what we did is this: we sat on the floor with him and only let him chew on the bone while we were holding it. And then every once in a while we'd take it away for a sec. give him a little love and then give it back. We didn't have to do it for long. Its a trust issue...she just wants to know that she's going to get it back. Try that. Good luck!

Thanks for this! It went very well this weekend with the bones using this method. Not perfect, but definate progress. I felt a lot better at the end of this weekend than I did last weekend. Thanks again EVERBODY for the thoughts and tips.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2008, 09:30 AM

1,363 posts, read 5,436,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art123 View Post
Best answer here by far. I had a Husky/Malamute that would do this and then later proceed to let a two year old poke her jaws and face and climb all over her. It's not any dominance/alpha issue. It's a trust issue with her favorite thing in the world.

With my dog (who I still miss terribly,too) I did a similar thing as nic529. The ONLY "aggression" she had in her entire 12 years was with her bone and it got much better when she knew she would get it back.
Again-reassuring to hear that this was the only aggression issue. This has been Shelby's only aggression issue too. My two year old climbs all over her and she doesn't bat an eye. I just want it to stay that way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or