Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2008, 07:40 AM

1,363 posts, read 5,927,869 times

Advertisements

So we have a 1 year old femal choc. lab/golden retriever mix. She's really good-still typical puppy issues we're training but other than that-great dog. Gentle with our 2 year old, very playful, etc. We give her those monster bones about once a month to chew on for the month. Well, she got her new one yesterday, and when my husband or I tried to take it from her she growled VERY aggressively, showed her teeth, and just looked like the Cujo was coming out in her. LOL. Do you think this is something she did just because it was new or should I worry? She does not act like this when we take any of her other toys or bones (the old ones that have the flavor chewed off of them already) from her, and my husband has been working with her from the get-go taking her food away and putting his hand in her bowl, and he is not aggressive at all when he does this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2008, 07:45 AM

170 posts, read 477,288 times
*off topic for a sec*

AWWWW I love labs!!! Do you have a pic?

Old 02-04-2008, 07:48 AM

2,885 posts, read 1,984,649 times
I am just guessing but maybe that particular bone is one she really loves. In any case, I would be concerned.

Old 02-04-2008, 08:22 AM

Click image for larger version

Name:	Shelby with bone.jpg
Views:	961
Size:	50.7 KB
ID:	14133

I was trying to post a different one that was just taken last weekend but there are "uploading errors"??? Anyway-this is Shelby.

Old 02-04-2008, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillietta View Post
I am just guessing but maybe that particular bone is one she really loves. In any case, I would be concerned.

Any suggestions? We did a bait an switch with some little training treats we use, and she gave the bone up fine, when those were involved and lots of praise for doing so, but try to get it without the treats and I was a little nervous. My husband had more of the "DON'T YOU DARE" attitude so he didn't really show any fear-I guess that's better. And we did go right to Petsmart yesterday to sign her up for the intermediate training classes so maybe they will help us as well. She did great there with the puppy kindergarten, so we want her to get a little more training.

Old 02-04-2008, 08:30 AM

2,238 posts, read 9,756,093 times
This is unacceptable behavior. You must never let your pet get away with showing aggression when you try to take something from them. When she does something like that, you need to sharply tell her "NO GROWLING", then say something like "GIVE" and then take the item away from her. A few minutes later, you can give it back and repeat the process after a while. Show her that she cannot refuse to let you have it, and you won't put up with her growling and showing her teeth over it.

Old 02-04-2008, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoaminRed View Post
This is unacceptable behavior. You must never let your pet get away with showing aggression when you try to take something from them. When she does something like that, you need to sharply tell her "NO GROWLING", then say something like "GIVE" and then take the item away from her. A few minutes later, you can give it back and repeat the process after a while. Show her that she cannot refuse to let you have it, and you won't put up with her growling and showing her teeth over it.
But HOW do I do this when I am afraid of getting bit. LOL. I don't really think she would bite me, but I'm also not a dog owner who thinks her dog is a Disney character who will NEVER bite. She's still a dog, and I don't want to have my hand be the proof of that.

Old 02-04-2008, 09:08 AM

2,885 posts, read 1,984,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by regarese View Post
Any suggestions? We did a bait an switch with some little training treats we use, and she gave the bone up fine, when those were involved and lots of praise for doing so, but try to get it without the treats and I was a little nervous. My husband had more of the "DON'T YOU DARE" attitude so he didn't really show any fear-I guess that's better. And we did go right to Petsmart yesterday to sign her up for the intermediate training classes so maybe they will help us as well. She did great there with the puppy kindergarten, so we want her to get a little more training.
I have no suggestions except to tell you that obedience training will be good! Good luck!

Old 02-04-2008, 10:43 AM

1,055 posts, read 4,921,110 times
I wouldn't let her have the bone until your sure that she knows you are alpha. I would start with NILIF (nothing in life is free) which means she has to work for everything. I can take anything away from my dogs at any time.

Here is a link that you can take all of it or some of it and use it in you everyday life with your dog. Doing some of these will let your dog know that you are in charge. Hope it helps.

Nothing in Life is Free

Old 02-04-2008, 10:58 AM

2,238 posts, read 9,756,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by regarese View Post
But HOW do I do this when I am afraid of getting bit. LOL. I don't really think she would bite me, but I'm also not a dog owner who thinks her dog is a Disney character who will NEVER bite. She's still a dog, and I don't want to have my hand be the proof of that.
If you have fear of getting bit, your dog will know it. Obviously she doesn't see you as alpha to her. Me...I'd just take it anyway and risk getting nipped. But that's me. If she did nip me, I'd immediately put her down on the floor in a submissive position while saying loudly "No biting! No biting!" It helps if you slightly pinch their neck (like another dog would when holding another dog down with his mouth). This has worked very quickly with all of the dogs I've had. Your mileage may vary, and I'm sure there are other methods of untraining biting behavior.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs