Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2015, 07:59 PM

1,024 posts, read 1,277,908 times

Advertisements

If you must have a 3rd dog, a Rottie is a good choice. Loving, intelligent and always wary of strangers, they will risk their life to protect those they bonded with. They are easy to train and can make independent choices on their own. However, Rotties are not for amateurs. They are very powerful, even by the age of one, and still growing. A good line of Rotties are from Germany. If you get one, I recommend professional training.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2015, 04:57 AM

14,784 posts, read 24,086,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoGuy View Post
Telling me to move is like telling a farmer to move. I built this place...by me and for me.

This right here says a lot and we wonder why he is having problems with the neighbor with this attitude it is very clear why .

Old 12-19-2015, 06:36 AM

16,278 posts, read 10,414,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
This right here says a lot and we wonder why he is having problems with the neighbor with this attitude it is very clear why .
That's totally unfair. If he built his house with his own blood and sweat the exact way he wanted it and has been there for years how can you blame him for wanting to stay?

Old 12-19-2015, 07:34 AM

1,961 posts, read 2,253,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoGuy
Telling me to move is like telling a farmer to move. I built this place...by me and for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
Yeah. It says he is normal. And that his neighbor is whacked.

What a crappy situation. Can you solidify the fence as previously suggested and install an electrified barrier at the top? Like a prison fence?

I agree with others that the only dogs you could successfully keep outside as protection for your property and your alpacas would be one of the LGBs.

Old 12-19-2015, 08:46 AM

3,680 posts, read 2,966,099 times
Yes...they are among the most persuasive watch dogs. Would a rottie probably get along with my dogs?
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesenugget View Post
If you must have a 3rd dog, a Rottie is a good choice. Loving, intelligent and always wary of strangers, they will risk their life to protect those they bonded with. They are easy to train and can make independent choices on their own. However, Rotties are not for amateurs. They are very powerful, even by the age of one, and still growing. A good line of Rotties are from Germany. If you get one, I recommend professional training.

Old 12-19-2015, 09:17 AM

The fence is pretty solid. 4' livestock fence with another strand of barbed wire above that. The fence contractors did not solidify the foundations of the corner posts as well as they should have. Some have now yielded to the tension of the fence. My 4WD does not pull hard enough to straighten them. Hope to get the backhoe running this spring and that should pull hard enough to properly straighten the corner posts. Then I can install the electric fence that I bought.

I have been robbed while I slept. I built an 8000 foot shop with a lot of doors....it has four wings. The cell phone service is too spotty to easily arm/disarm the main alarm. I also get tired of setting off the alarms myself. That is one of the attractions of an outdoor dog.

The alpacas? A rich guy gave me a few when I adopted an elderly llama. Alpacas used to be worth money before the Chinese phenomenon destroyed the viability of ranching alpacas. They are really just pets. I will have to start shearing them so they don't suffer in the summer sun. The fiber no longer has enough value to do more than pay for shearing...if that.

Wow....this thread kind of blew up. I am surprised by the people siding with a pot dealer with probable mental issues. Even more surprised at the suggestions to move. They have no idea how unrealistic that idea is....for one thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumpindogs View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoGuy

Yeah. It says he is normal. And that his neighbor is whacked.

What a crappy situation. Can you solidify the fence as previously suggested and install an electrified barrier at the top? Like a prison fence?

I agree with others that the only dogs you could successfully keep outside as protection for your property and your alpacas would be one of the LGBs.

Last edited by ColoGuy; 12-19-2015 at 09:44 AM..

Old 12-19-2015, 09:52 AM

1,727 posts, read 1,988,264 times
Quote:
One of his customers frequently brings over a large Husky and a Pit Bull. They have caused trouble at my fence. They would outmatch my girls.
Quote:
Wow....this thread kind of blew up. I am surprised by the people siding with a pot dealer with probable mental issues. Even more surprised at the suggestions to move. They have no idea how unrealistic that idea is....for one thing.
If your fence is a solid privacy fence I don't get how the husky and pit bull are able to cause trouble at the fence? I would at least put a 6' solid wood privacy fence up along the front with a locking gate.

Nobody is siding with a mentally unstable pot dealer. We clearly don't know the background or the context for these problems you are having, or even whether the problems are related to the pot dealer or just some random burglar. We also don't know what actions you have taken up to this point to resolve the situation or what the law enforcement situation is.

My suggestion to move was based on your clear concern for your safety. Nothing is worth compromising your safety or the safety of your animals. There are some truly bad people out there, and if that is what you are dealing with, then I will iterate that imho, unless you have a plan to resolve the situation, you are best off moving. Someone intent on wreaking havoc with your life and/or property won't think twice about harming or killing your dogs; I have heard some pretty horrific things from poisoning and/or shooting to sending in fighting dogs to kill your dogs ahead of the home invasion. I would not put another dog in danger with the idea that an additional dog will make you more secure.

If you choose to stay, then learn to shoot and get whatever license you need for a shotgun, and plan to have someone stay in the house while you are gone; alternately rent out a room in your house to a live-in caretaker so someone is always on the property.

Old 12-19-2015, 12:24 PM

I still don't understand what is so wrong with his plan. Now that I read about his shed being robbed an outdoor dog makes sense. That is not to say it is always outside, he certainly can be part of the family and come in to be with everyone. When it's time for bed then just put him outside. I would hesitate to do it in the dead of a Colorado winter but I would think most of the year the dog would be fine. We have a long coat shepherd and when the family room gets too hot from the fire she asks to go outside where she spends the evening. On nights without the fire she splits time in and out.

Here is my dog Terra, do you think anyone wouid approach the shed if something like this stood between them and the shed?

http://www.usinflationcalculator.com...flation-rates/

Last edited by DaveinMtAiry; 12-19-2015 at 01:43 PM..

Old 12-19-2015, 02:05 PM

LOL, tablet acted up and pasted the wrong link above.. This is the shot of our long coat Shepherd. She would be just fine outside most nights of the year.

Old 12-19-2015, 06:04 PM

In addition....the dog house is very well insulated. It also has a human bed inside of it.

I am also considering adding a Pit Bull. They don't eat as much as large dogs and they intimidate almost everybody. My local shelter is one of the few that takes Pitt Bulls. So it gets a lot of them. Odds of saving a dogs life are excellent.

Of course the Pitt would have to stay inside...

Trouble with asking questions on the net? So many opinions that one can get confused.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
I still don't understand what is so wrong with his plan. Now that I read about his shed being robbed an outdoor dog makes sense. That is not to say it is always outside, he certainly can be part of the family and come in to be with everyone. When it's time for bed then just put him outside. I would hesitate to do it in the dead of a Colorado winter but I would think most of the year the dog would be fine. We have a long coat shepherd and when the family room gets too hot from the fire she asks to go outside where she spends the evening. On nights without the fire she splits time in and out.

Here is my dog Terra, do you think anyone wouid approach the shed if something like this stood between them and the shed?

Historical Inflation Rates: 1914-2015 | US Inflation Calculator
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs