Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-24-2015, 03:20 PM

2 posts, read 1,084 times

Advertisements

My partner and I adopted an older disabled dachshund when he was 9. He is now 13. He's a quiet and loving lap-dog but he doesn't do so well outside in the winter because he only has three legs and he doesn't "hold it" as well anymore, either. If it's too cold, snowy, rainy or we're just not quick on the draw, he will end up defecating/urinating indoors. This means we spend an inordinate amount of time cleaning up after him. It's like having a (slower and quieter) puppy all over again! This part we have accepted. The part that is a problem is the trash and expense of paper towels! The eco-friendly part of me is crying - as is my wallet.

Can anyone suggest some better alternatives to plastic bags and paper towels for cleaning up dog-mess?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2015, 03:26 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,243,097 times
Bucket of water and a washable rag.

Old 12-24-2015, 03:30 PM

3,671 posts, read 3,557,269 times
A trowel used for tile installation. I have a very large, older dog, and this does save on me having to use a bunch of paper towels. Of course, Leo does not have loose bowel movements, you did not mention this in original post.

edit: we have wood floors.

Last edited by TerraDown; 12-24-2015 at 04:03 PM..

Old 12-24-2015, 03:47 PM

1,727 posts, read 1,988,264 times
How about reusable diapers, belly band, or washable puppy pads?
Here is a link Senior Tailwaggers that discusses some options and products, and of course once you find a viable option you can google to see if you can get a good price:
Best Dog Incontinence Products

Pads:
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...m?pcatid=26782

Senior dogs hold a special place in my heart. I wish there were more people like you and your partner in the world.

Old 12-24-2015, 06:04 PM

2 posts, read 1,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twelvepaw View Post
How about reusable diapers, belly band, or washable puppy pads?
Here is a link Senior Tailwaggers that discusses some options and products, and of course once you find a viable option you can google to see if you can get a good price:
Best Dog Incontinence Products

Pads:
Dog Housetraining Pads | Nature's Miracle Scent Release Training Pads

Senior dogs hold a special place in my heart. I wish there were more people like you and your partner in the world.
Wow, thanks for the links! That dog incontinence website is extremely helpful. I might go the washable route if I can.

Thanks for the replies, everyone!

Old 12-24-2015, 06:53 PM

13,926 posts, read 39,297,259 times
How about Litter Box Training him! Litter box training Lady my Pap & Katie my Corgi Both use Litter box method... Works great on Any age dog! Make sure YOU Clean the Whole House where hes gone in the past. I got a Carpet steamer after Lady was trained to Deep clean the carpets. Used Arm & Hammer Pet carpet Shampoo 2X then the 3rd time Vinegar in my 1st rinse plain water in the last 2 & then went over it again just pulling out as much water as the cleaner could. Took time but well worth it in the in. No Carpet just Mop all floors with Vinegar mix.

Old 12-24-2015, 07:09 PM

6,497 posts, read 11,815,510 times
I use washable bedliners for human beds. I found them on Craig's List (usually for free, used) and a couple of yard sales...for change. Toss in the washing machine. As for feces...I don't know what else to use but plastic bags for picking up and disposal.

I do like Katie1's suggestion for litter box training.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs