Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2008, 08:49 AM

395 posts, read 1,363,877 times

Advertisements

Oh they totally can! And don't let anyone tell you any different!
When I am mad..my dog runs under the coffee table..
When I am sad, she gives me kisses...
When I am happy she smiles...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2008, 08:25 PM

1,257 posts, read 4,575,778 times
Thank you, Clinkscales. I have another story. My GSD is my first and only dog. I have never had to take care of others in my life. I got her as a puppy and also at a time I was under enormous stress from my work. I run back home during lunch time to let her out to go bathroom. She came out her crate to poop either in our yard or right in front of me in the house. One day I was so tired and while cleaning her poop, I started to cry. She licked my face while I was crying. I cried a lot that day. After that day, my GSD never pooped inside our house again. So if you have hard time to house break your dog, try my method.

Old 02-10-2008, 02:39 PM

7,136 posts, read 12,673,848 times
Yes, dogs can absolutely sense our emotions and show empathy. Whenever I'm upset or cry I have a friend cuddling with me and licking away my tears. I often say I never knew unconditional love until I got my dog and it's true.
(My husband heard me say that one day and got greatly insulted because he feels his love is unconditional, but I still think my statement is true despite what he says.)

Old 02-10-2008, 02:53 PM

1,667 posts, read 9,382,489 times
Dogs don't understand complex speech, so they have to be acutely aware of body language. They may see the difference in a glance, hand gesture, tone of voice, or posture. They have emotions, too. Watch how they walk, carry their head, ears, tail... They get headaches, colds, fatigue, pain, and can experience joy, frustration, need. Since they don't talk, we have to be aware of their "language" too.

Old 02-12-2008, 12:12 AM

14,725 posts, read 33,371,861 times
Wow. Cool story. That's what makes them the greatest thing out there...even better than sliced bread.

Old 02-12-2008, 12:35 AM

355 posts, read 990,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaJasMi View Post
Oh they totally can! And don't let anyone tell you any different!
When I am mad..my dog runs under the coffee table..
When I am sad, she gives me kisses...
When I am happy she smiles...
This is so true....that's how my dogs are. And when they are scared (like sensing a storm on the way) they all want in my lap....and that is fine except only one is a lapdog so I'm kind of smothered then. Gotta love them.

Old 02-12-2008, 09:33 AM

1,408 posts, read 8,022,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LingLing View Post
Yes. Last year, every morning when I was walking my GSD, we were crossing with a man with a Maltese. If other party doesn’t show any interest in interacting us, I usually don’t allow my GSD approach. So we always walked pass each other without any interaction.

Well one morning, he walked out of his home alone. My GSD surprised me by dragging me towards him (she usually doesn't like tall man). I said “No”. But she insisted and jumped next to him and kept licking his hand. Then my GSD started to whine and rubbed herself against him. He petted her. He told me that he just lost his dog due to a brain tumor the night before and he was sure that my GSD sensed the sadness. Several months later, he got another Maltese and now every morning, we and our dogs greet each other in the morning. Since then, he has kept spreading the good words about my GSD in our neighborhood. I have always wanted to share this story.
LingLing your post brought tears to my eyes. your GSD sounds like a wonderful dog to me.

I also agree dogs can sense emotion. When I am really sad my two are always right beside me, nudging me to pet them.

Old 02-12-2008, 09:40 AM

2,238 posts, read 9,756,657 times
Yep, they can sense emotions. My dog gets very upset when I cry, and will try to get as close to me as possible, even trying to climb onto my lap (which doesn't work so well since she weighs about 50 lbs!) She knows what a laugh is too, because she'll get all excited and go run get a toy to bring to me.

Old 02-12-2008, 01:49 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,452,578 times
Dogs most definitely can sense emotion, better than people. They read your emotions when you encounter "strangers", they will read the emotions of the other person, and they will react accordingly. They know when you are happy, sad, angry, nervous or scared and will react differently according to your emotion.

When I had to put down my 13.5 year-old Golden Retriever/Black Lab female last July I was very depressed and my 4 year-old Alaskan Husky/Golden Lab female would come over and lean against me in sympathy and she began sleeping in my bed for the first time, instead of her usual spot in the closet, just to be near me. She was also despondent over the loss. Even though her emotions were much more difficult for me to read. I could tell she was depressed because she was much less active, barely ate any food, and would stare at blank walls for minutes at a time.

Just before Thanksgiving I rescued a Mastiff/Golden Lab male puppy and noticed an immediate improvement in my Alaskan Husky/Golden Lab's demeanor. Even though the puppy is a pain in her butt most of the time, she is much more active and plays all the time now.

Old 02-13-2008, 09:58 AM

223 posts, read 1,003,669 times
Dogs are wonderful aren't they? I just recently had to put down my 4 year old black lab and her one year old baby is very depresed now. Yesterday I was home with her and all she wanted to do was sleep. I was making my bed (where her Mom would always sleep) and she jumped up, sniffed around, and started rubbing her forhead into the comforter. She would then fall on her side and rub her eyes and nose with her paws. It made me cry too so we lay there and held each other giving each other kisses. We then decided to go out for a game of fetch. She has another dog at home to play with, so that will hopefully keep her more or less on the upbeat side of things. Dogs are very keen to not only what their owner is feeling, but how to express how they are feeling also.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs