Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2016, 08:27 AM

35,095 posts, read 50,995,383 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Normashirley View Post
I think people assume everyone lives in town or the suburbs

We have 23 acres, so I get what you're saying. Not only is treating not feasible but not safe if there is livestock in your pasture.

If you own pasture, you're going to have to keep it bushogged to not only keep it in grazing condition but that will help keep the tick, flea population down.

We do have about 1/8th acre of fenced backyard and treat that on particularly bad flea years.

If you have carpet, you may have to have a professional come in and bomb the house. That means you folks and all the animals leaving for the day.

Having any sort of flooring that isn't carpet, helps a lot.

Buy a strong flea/tick shampoo, even if you have to buy it from the vet.

Sergeants always had a good shampoo but I can't find it anymore. All our WalMart carries is Adams.

We retired to Middle TN from the OH/PA border. Some things were quite an adjustment. I nearly threw up the first Spring I found ticks on my horses but I've gotten used to looking for, and removing them.

If your dog is outside a lot, you will have to check more frequently for ticks, since she goes into the woods. Ticks don't die in the cold months, they simply burrow further into the ground. That means you may see them on your Shepherd in the winter, along with the fleas
I did not assume anything, we live in the country as well, hence the reason I said *Yard* not *Land*.
A bit of assumption on your part though thinking someone does not know the difference between a yard and land.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2016, 08:56 AM

1,592 posts, read 1,201,742 times
I've had great luck with Frontline. Once it came off patent, I've bought the generic of it at Walmart. Works just as good.

Old 01-04-2016, 09:24 AM

1,655 posts, read 1,892,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
I did not assume anything, we live in the country as well, hence the reason I said *Yard* not *Land*.
A bit of assumption on your part though thinking someone does not know the difference between a yard and land.
I've had conversations with enough folks, that you'd be surprised at just how little some know
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs