Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-30-2015, 10:25 AM

19,803 posts, read 9,357,559 times

Advertisements

First, our vet is not open until Monday due to the holiday, so I am just asking for what we should do or not do in the meantime.

Our 10-year-old Golden Lab, Pepper, just starting slightly limping today on her left front leg. We examined her paw and "massaged" all along the leg to see if she showed any sign of pain, and she showed no reaction at all. However, in the past 24 hours or so, she has not been as playful -- she is one of those 10-year-old Lab "puppies" with a TON of energy -- and she has not been as ready to climb stairs or jump on furniture. (It is not that she hesitates or seems to have trouble doing so, but she is just not as rambunctious as usual.) Appetite is normal. Btw, she was thoroughly checked by our vet just about six weeks ago after a bout of severe vomiting and diarrhea, and after a few days of medication, she was just fine (although -- of course -- we completed the full course of the meds).

I checked our Home Vet guide, and the only common ailment that seems to fit (limp with no other symptoms or sign of injury) is arthritis. So, just to be on the safe side, I am asking for advice as far as walking her in cold weather. We normally take her out for a mile walk two times a day (we also have a large yard, although she stays inside virtually all the time except for "nature calls"). However, it is very cold today (highs in the mid-20's) and there is plenty of existing snow. So, that being the case, should we plan on walking her as usual? Any other advice, of course, would definitely be appreciated, too.

Thanks so much!

P.S. My husband just let her outside, and he reported her romping along the fence with our neighbor's dog -- they love to do this and tease each other -- as normal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2015, 04:44 PM

17,342 posts, read 11,277,677 times
I would cut back to only a short walk until you can take her to the vet and have her checked.

Old 12-30-2015, 06:01 PM

757 posts, read 1,328,675 times
There are several good posts on this site about arthritis and lots of suggestions how to work with it. The main thing to worry about is the damage done from the inflammation in the joints. Exercise is very important so she does not loose muscle mass. If you can swim her, that would be a great way to exercise her. The vet will most likely give her a steroid or NSAID, I was always leery of giving these to my dog and felt better to wait till the last resort due to the damage the meds do to the organs.

My suggestion, start doing your research as it is a personal choice how you want to treat the dog. The vet may have some other way that he likes to do it, so if you know your other options, you can discuss them with him.

Old 12-30-2015, 06:10 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,058,499 times
don't expect your vet to endorse this product as they are paid to promote less effective measures, but we have seen amazing results with our own dogs when needed...

plenty of testimonials and research that backs up its effectiveness on-line

Old 12-30-2015, 07:21 PM

3,605 posts, read 9,059,576 times
Our 14 yr old Lab/Shepherd has arthritis that has caught up to her lately. One of the Drs at the vet practice does acupuncture and laser therapy. We've had 3 laser treatments and see a remarkable change, she is able to go up the stairs by herself again and take big walks. If you have a vet with alternative treatment options it may be worth looking into.

In the meantime you could give her a baby aspirin if she seems to be in pain. Shorter walks for a bit until she feels better.

Old 01-04-2016, 12:14 AM

8,553 posts, read 10,978,234 times
Laser treatments are the best way to proceed.
The results are fantastic.
Your dog will thank you a million times over.

Bob.

Old 04-20-2016, 03:09 AM

15 posts, read 18,344 times
Smile Thermal Dog Coat for arthritic dog

If you live in the cold and have an older dog with arthritis - using a thermal dog coat could help!

I found this dog coat from Ortocanis that specifically says it's for dogs with arthritis in cold/humid regions:

http://www.ortocanis.com/en/technica...rmal-coat.html

But you should also definitely get your dog to the vet to be sure what the real diagnosis is!

Last edited by maya10delmar; 04-20-2016 at 03:37 AM.. Reason: link

Old 04-28-2016, 10:48 AM

11 posts, read 10,479 times
You shouldn't ever give your dog human aspirin or human pain killers!! Ask your vet for an anti-inflammatory or pain killer especially for dogs. You could do more harm than good with human pain killers. Here's an article I found on the side effects of anti-inflammatory drugs in dogs and some alternatives.

Read up on it before administering your dog any sort of medicine!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs