Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-06-2016, 06:56 AM

5,513 posts, read 7,105,557 times

Advertisements

The house is always tidy and clean but there is always that lingering pet odor that the cheap air fresheners don't seem to mask. Have hardwoods throughout with area rugs that are vacuumed multiple times a week, I try the A & H carpet sprinkle but it seems to fade quickly.
With three dogs (groomed every few months) and six cats there's going to be some smell, but are there any real good room deodorizers or air purifiers that do a great job? What do you use?
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2016, 06:57 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,727,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYTom View Post
The house is always tidy and clean but there is always that lingering pet odor that the cheap air fresheners don't seem to mask. Have hardwoods throughout with area rugs that are vacuumed multiple times a week, I try the A & H carpet sprinkle but it seems to fade quickly.
With three dogs (groomed every few months) and six cats there's going to be some smell, but are there any real good room deodorizers or air purifiers that do a great job? What do you use?
Hamilton Beach TrueAir Room Odor Eliminator

http://www.amazon.com/Hamilton-Beach...words=true+air

I don't know if I'm allowed to link to Amazon, but I got this for Christmas. You plug it in, run it all day if you want, (I do). It's for rooms 10x10 so you may need more than one if you're trying to fix the entire house.

It refreshes every 3 hours - the air I mean.

It comes with filters and a scent thingie. You can use the scent thing if you want, but what I read and discovered by trying it is that if you just fold up some scented dryer sheets, and put them in where the scent thingie goes, they work better, and are far cheaper to replace.

Anyway, within HOURS of first plugging it in, and since then, not a single pet odor. Not one. It's fabulous.

Old 01-08-2016, 12:42 PM

2,332 posts, read 1,997,253 times
Personally, I hate deodorizers and fresheners, because they are just another perfume trying to mask the original smell. We use Honeywell canister air filters - not because of smell - but for DW's cat allergies / asthma. But they work for odors as well. Downsides: they are largish, and create some white noise. Filters are a bit pricey, but not bad, and I only replace them every 6-9 months. Units like this one: Amazon.com - Honeywell 50250-S 99.97% Pure HEPA Round Air Purifier - Hepa Filter Air Purifiers

Bottom line, they work, and they work for years. The small models you often find are just that, small. Usually too small to be effective. I like the ozone-type of air filters for filtration power - but they don't last as long mechanically, as after a year or two they collect too much dirt to clean off. I think you can get carbon pre-filters for the Honeywell - I don't bother with them - as they need changing too often.

Rather than using the perfumed baking soda, I do sometimes use plain baking soda. I don't usually have a problem from our carpets tho. I DO have dog blankets out as beds at 3 locations in our house - each is a typical "hangout" for the dogs. Those get washed on a regular basis, as they do collect odor. I don't like dog "beds", because you can't clean the foam, and the cover is always a pita to take off and put on. The extra-thick blankets work well and can be washed.

Old 01-08-2016, 12:45 PM

5,513 posts, read 7,105,557 times
Thanks for the tip, it got good reviews I see.

Old 07-11-2017, 07:25 AM

1 posts, read 2,289 times
Default Air Freshner

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYTom View Post
In my experience Odorite is a good room deodizers available at amazon.it is an organic Room freshner it eliminates the pets smell from your home.please try it

[url]http://amzn.to/2u9GaZN[/url]

Last edited by MizbhaJenifer; 07-11-2017 at 07:39 AM..

Old 07-11-2017, 09:46 AM

14,785 posts, read 24,078,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Hamilton Beach TrueAir Room Odor Eliminator

http://www.amazon.com/Hamilton-Beach...words=true+air

I don't know if I'm allowed to link to Amazon, but I got this for Christmas. You plug it in, run it all day if you want, (I do). It's for rooms 10x10 so you may need more than one if you're trying to fix the entire house.

It refreshes every 3 hours - the air I mean.

It comes with filters and a scent thingie. You can use the scent thing if you want, but what I read and discovered by trying it is that if you just fold up some scented dryer sheets, and put them in where the scent thingie goes, they work better, and are far cheaper to replace.

Anyway, within HOURS of first plugging it in, and since then, not a single pet odor. Not one. It's fabulous.

I would second this because I bought the exact same one for my living room and I did not know about the dryer sheet deal good idea and cheap too thanks btw LOL . It works wonderful and I have three dogs too but no cats my husband is allergic to cat dander so no cats . I like outside cats and feed the ferals often .

Old 07-11-2017, 12:31 PM

4,362 posts, read 6,530,507 times
Get an American Eskimo dog as they're odor resistant. No doggie smells.

Can't stand ANYTHING that masks odors. An air cleaner is best but still get an Eskie.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs