U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2008, 05:38 AM

313 posts, read 939,060 times

Advertisements

I want to thank everyone again for your advice and support. Yesterday Fergus still wouldn't eat, and he had trouble standing, so we took him to be euthanized in the afternoon. We miss him so much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2008, 09:01 AM

5,826 posts, read 8,633,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeaJay View Post
We miss him so much.
I'm so sorry for your loss. Nothing is harder.

My sincerest condolences to you.

Old 02-09-2008, 09:12 AM

1,587 posts, read 6,673,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeaJay View Post
I want to thank everyone again for your advice and support. Yesterday Fergus still wouldn't eat, and he had trouble standing, so we took him to be euthanized in the afternoon. We miss him so much.
Sorry for your loss but remember this he will love you always for what you did for him and will be watching over you and be waiting over the rainbow bridge.
You did what was best for Fergus, a special spot in your heart will always be there and he will never be forgotten.

Old 02-09-2008, 07:32 PM

1,497 posts, read 3,090,801 times
I am truly sorry for your loss. I had to put my dob/pitt mix down years ago due to a cancerous brain tumor. Take comfort that he is no longer suffering. Best wishes to you .

Old 02-09-2008, 10:57 PM

29 posts, read 161,481 times
I am really sorry for your loss. I just lost my mother's black lab mix dog, Lucy. She was only 5 when she died on September 11. I feel like it was yesterday.

She died from liver cancer. We did not know she had cancer until the day she was euthanized. She had been to the vet just a few months before she died for an ear infection. The vet told me she needed to lose weight. She weighed around 50 pounds but was very small in stature. I bought the diet dog food from the vet and she lost weight. I thought for a while wow, this diet food is working. She went to 40 pounds and I thought hhmm. But she was still "normal" acting and playing etc. So I put it out of my mind. Then she lost a few more pounds and I took her off of the diet food and put her back on regular food. She was still eating a lot of food and acting her usual self. Then my mother called and said that she did not eat this Saturday night. On Sunday Lucy did not eat. On Monday morning I took her to the vet and he told me she was diabetic and gave her shots. She looked so small and was only thirtysomething pounds by then. She lost pounds in just a few days. On Monday she vomited all night and did not take her medications. On Tuesday the vet told me to leave her...She almost fell over several times and I was so scared....I told her I loved her and that I would be back.... The did an XRay and her liver tumor had taken over her stomach. They wanted to put her to sleep while they had her unconcious from the XRay and my mom gave them permission to do this. The vet called me and said that she was gone.

I have struggled with the guilt of not knowing but the Vet assurred me I could not have known. He did not know at the beginning. The vet also said she would not have lived very long with liver cancer. Besides her losing weight (which I now know was not just the diet dog food) she still was her old self and did not seem sick until three days before she died... I still cry everyday and part of my life is missing....I have other dogs that I love but each one of them has a part of your heart.

I struggle with Lucy being so young...I did not have nearly enough time with her....

I pray that everyone who has lost a dog has the comfort they need and take comfort in the fact that your baby is no longer suffering or sick. They are all playing with each other at the rainbow bridge....

Old 08-31-2008, 03:26 PM

7 posts, read 19,986 times
quality of life is the key - we have five labs right now - ages 4 yrs to we think 10 yrs (the oldest has arthritis-but he is the biggest puppy of them all) - we have had to put down to in the past - both times after i put them on basically what amounted to pureed food and even went so far as spoon feeding them - we had a great vet then - he became a friend too and came to the house and sat on the floor with everyone and gave them both the final shot and let us pet them as they were going - it was a great time of closure -but i have not cried so much in all my life - my condolences and faith that you will know when that time has come - when he cannot get up or eat - but don't wait too long - we waited what i feel is a few days too long with our dewey (he was 14) and the last days of his life i literally carried him outside and held he while he went pottie - i just didn't want to let him go

Old 10-21-2008, 02:46 PM

4 posts, read 12,202 times
I just had to put our dog to sleep yesterday afternoon. It was so hard on my husband and I. Gumbo was 6 years old and diagnosis with Nasal Cancer 3 months ago. We know we only had about 3 months for Gumbo to be around. He did well up until this last few days. His nose was full of cancer. Once he started having trouble breathing at night we know it was the best thing for him. The hardest thing was he still looked healthy and was still eating, but we knew in our hearts that he was not going to go through to many more nights like the last one we spent with him. I fed him in the morning, took him for his walk and our family said there last goodbye's. We drove him to the Vet and had the Dr. come out to our vehicle to give him the injection. (Gumbo was a greatdane,german shepard, and doberman mix and weighed 135 lbs.) We laid in the back of my Jeep with him and told him how much he meant to use and kissed him as he went to sleep. The last thing he felt was our love and that meant alot to me. I'm still trying to have this all sink in because it's so fresh. I've been in tears all morning. It was really hard feeding my other 2 dogs and not putting anything in Gumbo's bowl. He is buried in our yard along with some other friends we have lost through the years. We live on 5 acres in the country. I try and picture all the days I had with him. And I know time will heal my broken heart.

Old 03-19-2009, 06:46 PM

15 posts, read 109,054 times
I'm amazed that your vet couldn't give you better answer. There are so many things that could be wrong.

I had a cat with breast cancer. She had a tiny cqancerous
lump which we had removed and it grew back. We had it removed again and it showed up on another breast. That's when we stopped with the surgery. It had obviously spread.

Cancer is a weird thing... Just think about what it actually is... It's abnormal cell growth. Cancer will eat your dogs vitamins and minerals. Chemo works by starving the cancer... it basically eats itself. I don't support chemo for dogs, but it's important to understand what you are fighting.

If your dog does have cancer he NEEDS to eat. Buy him some ground turkey or chicken... There must be something he can't refuse. If he is dying make him the happiest damn dog alive!

It's hard to judge when it's time. We promissed ourselves that the day we noticed Mick showing any signs of pain we would take her in. So for 8 months we bent to her every wish including a fancy cut glass bowl. We spoon fed her, bought her treats. Treated her like the little queen she was. Then one day we noticed her breathing was labored. It was very difficult but we took her in and had her put to sleep. The vet was amazed with her overall condition. Aside from the cancer she was the picture of health. He was very interested in the herbal therapy he had used on her.

So in the end you know your dog. Make him happy. As long as he's happy do what you can to make him more so. When it's time you will know it.

LOL...Im getting a psychic dog message.....steak.....hmmmmmm lol

Old 03-20-2009, 09:36 AM

2,406 posts, read 5,346,503 times
I am so, so sorry for your pain.
Just know that Fergus isn't in any pain anymore. You did everything you could, for him. Most importantly, you gave him warmth, happiness, fun, laughter, toys, and lots & lots of love.

I've been thru what your going thru with everyone of our Rotties, and there have been many, many Rotts in our lives. We never get use to the pain, it's the worse pain a human can feel.
We lost 2 Rotties exactly 2 months apart from each other. It about killed me. The pain, the depression, we were so sad. We had our other Rotts with us, so we couldn't let them see our sadness.
Each of our Rotts had cancer in different areas of their bodies or different types of cancer.
When it was time to let them pass, I always had to be with them when they had to be put down. My hubby couldn't do it. It is just too hard on him.
Not that it isn't hard on me, but I want my voice to be the last thing my dogs hear when they have to be put down. I will hold them or their head & kiss them & love them & hold back all those tears, until they are gone. I know how my dogs are, so I don't want them to hear or see me cry, cause they would know something is wrong with Mommy.

Cherish all those wonderful memories.

We rescued a little girl from another state & she was something else.
She made us laugh again... we spoiled her so rotten... gee, what a surprise that is LOL !!!
Each dog brings us all something new to our hearts. Each one is special in their own way.

It will get better...may take awhile, but it will get beter.You'll see how spoiled our little girl is below & how she made us laugh again.
Attached Thumbnails
If you've had experience with a dog with cancer...-cimg0887.jpg  

Old 03-20-2009, 12:44 PM

19,813 posts, read 55,745,006 times
In my belief system, Fergus is running through the great fields of the sky, with lots of new friends and no pain. Quite o few of my fur-babies are there with him. I'm so sorry for your loss but you did the best thing for him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs