Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2016, 11:01 AM

14,267 posts, read 6,954,430 times

Advertisements

I have been looking for a new dog and have been looking up descriptions of various breeds when I see one I like listed on the rescue sites.

What does it mean when they say: it needs a job to do? What kind of job are they talking about? I think this is mostly for herding type breeds but may include others.

Also, when I see a highly active dog breed such as a Mini Aussie (Australian Shepherd) or a Jack Russel, they emphasize the dog needs to run a lot. Would a trip to the dog park several times a week in addition to daily walks on the leash be enough? And do they get more sedate when they are older? I am open to getting an adult dog (not a senior).

Thanks to those who have experience with these dogs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2016, 11:12 AM

13,926 posts, read 39,292,628 times
Means the dog gets Bored then gets Destructive! Dog like these Need You the Owner to give them something to do Not more exercise those it does help. but things to keep their minds working LOL Like Filling a Kong with Peanut butter while your gone. Things of that nature. When I leave I leave the TV on & my dogs get chewy.

Leave these type of dogs home you come back to pillow fights... those dang pillows just bug dogs like this they tease the dog till naturally dog Has to fight back! You the owner get the job of clean up. hahahahaha

Old 01-27-2016, 11:31 AM

4,876 posts, read 4,205,098 times
Dog parks are okay, as are long, active walks. But you might also consider agility or other types of training/activities with an active dog. As Katie1 mentioned, a bored dog is a...troublesome dog! lol

If a description says it needs a job to do, it means you need to make sure it doesn't get bored. There are a lot of thinking toys on the market for dogs. You can also put backpacks on them for walks to help them work harder. Lots of training activities are a good choice too - think about all the tricks you can teach him!

Many dogs do mellow out as they get older, but it will be very gradual.

Is this the first dog you have had yourself? What makes you choose these types? Do they really fit your lifestyle?

I would highly suggest taking some "what type of dog should I get" quizzes on line. They will give you a variety of answers that fit your comfort level and lifestyle. From there, you can know if the dogs you see on rescue websites are the right breed for you.

Good luck!

Old 01-27-2016, 12:21 PM

32,643 posts, read 48,028,221 times
Dogs that need a job don't just need exercise. They need to have their brain stimulated. The way you stimulate a dog's brain is to teach him tasks. Challenge him to think.

And also run the bejeebers out of him so he is physically tired.

Old 01-27-2016, 12:36 PM

19,750 posts, read 22,661,296 times
I had a bluetick coonhound female that needed a job, so she had run of our property and guarded my kids. She excelled at it. My two GSP's are family dogs and also bird hunting dogs. I have to work with them all the time otherwise they get a little loco in the house.

A lot of dogs need a task or something to keep them occupied. I know the three dogs I mentioned all eagerly want to 'work'. It's a great thing, actually!

Old 01-27-2016, 03:46 PM

1,961 posts, read 2,252,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
I have been looking for a new dog and have been looking up descriptions of various breeds when I see one I like listed on the rescue sites.

What does it mean when they say: it needs a job to do? What kind of job are they talking about? I think this is mostly for herding type breeds but may include others.

Also, when I see a highly active dog breed such as a Mini Aussie (Australian Shepherd) or a Jack Russel, they emphasize the dog needs to run a lot. Would a trip to the dog park several times a week in addition to daily walks on the leash be enough? And do they get more sedate when they are older? I am open to getting an adult dog (not a senior).

Thanks to those who have experience with these dogs.
We've had Aussies and Mini Aussies for 25+ years. They need a job to stimulate both their brains and their bodies because most individuals have lots of mental and physical energy to expend on a daily basis...energy genetically programmed to enable them to herd livestock all day long while making somewhat independent decisions on how to keep the stock together and safe.

A leash walk is nothing for these guys...comparable to a nap for all practical purposes. Such a dog may or may not be a suitable candidate for a dog park. Additionally, any dog park may or may not be a suitable environment for your dog. What I am trying to say is that a dog park and leash walks will likely not be enough.

Our dogs do agility, herding, trick training, obedience, nosework, therapy and lots of woods running and fetching. Not all on the same day of course.

You're right. It is often the herding breeds that need a job along with some terriers and working lines of other breeds as well as any mixed breed with a similar temperament.

There are always exceptions...I've known a few Aussies with lower energy levels...and a good rescue group should be able to evaluate that aspect of the individual dogs on their adoption list.

When you work for a living and own a dog that needs a job you end up with a very meager social life.

One of my Aussies was so fast and high drive/energy...she even slept fast...that I joked that I might be able to handle her on an agility course once she turned 12. So yeah, they can slow down a bit as they age. But IME that's not until the elderly stages.

Old 01-27-2016, 03:50 PM

19,838 posts, read 12,099,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
I had a bluetick coonhound female that needed a job, so she had run of our property and guarded my kids. She excelled at it. My two GSP's are family dogs and also bird hunting dogs. I have to work with them all the time otherwise they get a little loco in the house.

A lot of dogs need a task or something to keep them occupied. I know the three dogs I mentioned all eagerly want to 'work'. It's a great thing, actually!
This. ^^^

Threerun, whenever you post pics of your dogs I think they are the luckiest and happiest dogs. Very few dogs are living such full lives doing what they love most.

Old 01-27-2016, 05:58 PM

105 posts, read 171,442 times
My German Shepherd always needs a job to do. Outside of a lot of outdoor play, we do a lot of obedience work. She looooves it. Never requires a treat or even much praise.

Old 01-27-2016, 07:20 PM

1,209 posts, read 1,426,378 times
My one dog's job is to eat poop.

Old 01-27-2016, 07:47 PM

1,727 posts, read 1,987,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumpindogs View Post
We've had Aussies and Mini Aussies for 25+ years. They need a job to stimulate both their brains and their bodies because most individuals have lots of mental and physical energy to expend on a daily basis...energy genetically programmed to enable them to herd livestock all day long while making somewhat independent decisions on how to keep the stock together and safe.

A leash walk is nothing for these guys...comparable to a nap for all practical purposes. Such a dog may or may not be a suitable candidate for a dog park. Additionally, any dog park may or may not be a suitable environment for your dog. What I am trying to say is that a dog park and leash walks will likely not be enough.

Our dogs do agility, herding, trick training, obedience, nosework, therapy and lots of woods running and fetching. Not all on the same day of course.

You're right. It is often the herding breeds that need a job along with some terriers and working lines of other breeds as well as any mixed breed with a similar temperament.

There are always exceptions...I've known a few Aussies with lower energy levels...and a good rescue group should be able to evaluate that aspect of the individual dogs on their adoption list.

When you work for a living and own a dog that needs a job you end up with a very meager social life.

One of my Aussies was so fast and high drive/energy...she even slept fast...that I joked that I might be able to handle her on an agility course once she turned 12. So yeah, they can slow down a bit as they age. But IME that's not until the elderly stages.
This. And especially the bolded part.
My border collie was about 15 before he slowed down, and he was a relatively low-middle energy border collie. He used to run 5-6 miles with me in the morning and then go to work with me outside (I used to work on a large estate), explore and play with other dogs all day, and then maybe he would be tired.

Also, with herding dogs, specifically border collies- the traits that make them so good at herding and working with alongside humans are bound into a complex web of genetics that may also include traits that aren't so desirable including a genetic predisposition to storm and sound phobias, reactivity to anything that moves, a single minded focus, and a strong herding instinct that can interfere with forming other dog-dog relationships.

You mentioned taking the dog to a dog park- I can't take my 7 year old border collie to dog parks because any time more than two dogs are around he wants to herd them with varying results. Not all dogs like to be herded and will react sharply, but my boy doesn't care because he is in herding mode, and once he gets into the zone he is in his own world, I can't call him off (this is a dog who otherwise has 99% rock solid recall). If he gets frustrated trying to herd other dogs he will go in and nip their flank which not many dogs like. Consequently, he can only hang out with other dogs who will either totally ignore him or who I can trust to correct him appropriately. My dog is not an anomaly- I have seen this same behavior to varying degrees in my foster border collies. They are not dogs that do well in all situations.

Very few if any reputable border collie breeders will sell or adopt out a border collie to a pet home. The dogs simply can't handle not being able to work, and many either go crazy, become destructive, and/or develop other problem behaviors as a result of trying to adjust to being a pet, especially with an owner who doesn't have the time or commitment to spend with their dog.

Think twice before you even consider getting a high energy dog. Too many people think they can handle a smart high energy dog, but they really have no idea exactly how much time, training, and commitment is involved.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs